[Q] xposed, VPN, ICS & Auto VPN Dialog Confirm

OP AllanonMage

10th May 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock
Thanks Meter: 2

123 posts
More
I read the module FAQ and the code page and tried out module & xposed code and I was not able to get around my problem. I'm not sure that it was supposed to get around my problem though, but I was hoping to get your take on things. I can't find much data, though I can find a few people asking the same questions as I.

I installed an android 4.3 ROM (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2121063) on my phone and tried to connect to an OpenVPN based VPN provider. I got an error and contacted their support. Part of that process was to try another app, so we tried the OpenVPN COnnect app, the official OpenVPN app. I got a different error with that app.

One says that "your android firmware does not support the VPNService API("

OpenVPN Connect says "Sorry, due to a known issue in this version of android, it is not possible to gain permission to open a VPN tunnel"

There seems to be a few problems popping up with OpenVPN based VPNs in various Android 4.x OSs, but none complaine about 4.3 specifically. Usually they complain about 4.4 or back when 4.0 and 4.1 were new. I found this article talking about it on OpenVPN, and they're just pointing the finger, but I can't find the actual bug referenced:
https://forums.openvpn.net/topic13772.html

I came across your code on this page:
https://code.google.com/p/ics-openvpn/wiki/FAQ

And decided to try loading xposed and your module after emailing OpenVPN Connect and receiving a response right away. The guy who replied seemed to think the error is related to the fact that the confirmation acknowledgement dialog is not able to be summoned. I figured maybe the ROM wasn't bypassing it properly or missing some part of it, so I tried your way of bypassing it.

After loading xposed and your module, and selecting the 2 VPN apps, I still get the same results.

What are your thoughts? Should I give up and find a new ROM?
11th May 2014, 03:02 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 6,734

5,680 posts
Donate to Me
More
What are you talking about? If you're asking about a specific module (looks to me that way,) you should do that in the appropriate thread.
11th May 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock
Thanks Meter: 2

123 posts
More
After some more research and experimentation yesterday, it's looking more like those OpenVPN clients that "support" the VPNServiceAPI actually *require* it, and that annoying/nasty little dialog that google enabled to "protect" the user just serves to piss off advanced users like me. This is my hypothesis at this point, though I have not confirmed this. I suspect this because I just tested on Jelly Bomb, a 4.1 based ROM and see the same results so far.

As far as what I was talking about in my OP, I copy/pasted an email to the author of the xposed module here and tried to reformat it to fit the message board, and apparently I missed a few pronouns. By far not the most egregious use of the English language I've seen on these boards, so what's with the attitude? I don't see specific sub forums for each and every module, so I don't get what you're implying. I only saw the one xposed board, so where else was I supposed to post?
11th May 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #4  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 6,734

5,680 posts
Donate to Me
More
No attitude, I honestly didn't understand how your issue was related to the Xposed framework. I just searched the repo for "VPN" and now see what you're talking about.
The Auto VPN Dialog Confirm doesn't have a thread here on XDA. Reading your post again, you're trying to use Xposed to fix a bug with the app if I'm not mistaken? I'd first try checking the logcat and forwarding that to the author of the VPN app if you haven't already.

I can't answer the rest of your questions since that's up to the module's author. That being said, it looks like a module specific question/request, not a framework query.
5th October 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #5  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 5

13 posts
My understanding of the issue described here is different, probably because I'm trying to solve the same problem On the other hand, I'm not on ICS anymore, but am using Sammy 4.1.2 stock with DorimanX Kernel 8.43 at the moment.

OpenVPN should be usable for establishing a connection on boot. Out of the box, this creates a dialog to trust this application. Even though I trust it and confirm, there is no way of saving that preference permanently. It seems to be kept for a while (disconnect / reconnect doesn't trigger it again at least ) Therefore, it always reappears each time I boot.

The only possible solution I could find was the Xposed Module "Auto VPN Dialog Confirm" - the same module mentioned by the OP.

I used it together with the OpenVPN Client by colucci.web.it (paid version in my case, because I also wanted TAP support and auto connect functionality as well as the option of controlling it via Tasker).

After installing "Auto VPN Dialog Confirm" it recognized the installed OpenVPN client and offered to allow VPN API connections from it without confirmation. The VPN client also has an option to automatically create connections when Wifi is up and allows to be triggered either when seeing a specific SSID or when connecting to a network which does not have a specific SSID. The latter one is the typical condition for untrusted networks.

Therefore, it achieves what I wanted - being able to route my traffic via OpenVPN in case I'm not connected to my home WiFi

Regarding the issue encountered on ICS - maybe getting in touch with the Developer of the Xposed module might be the best option, unless someone else has already found a solution for it. It could also be good to exactly specify the OpenVPN client used as clearing the Xposed logfile and having "AutoVPN Dialog confirm" run as the only Xposed app (and fail). Afterwards, the log hopefully contains useful feedback for the developer to investigate further (Support URL listed for the module)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-05-12-15-39.png
Views:	36
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2961047   Click image for larger version

Name:	AutoVPN.png
Views:	34
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2961065  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags