Xperia Z3 Compact First Impressions

Search This thread

matapo

Apr 11, 2013
Johannesburg
Thought this would be a great way to start the Xperia Z3C series of threads :)

I absolutely LOVE this phone - I'll be upgrading in the next few weeks, when it's made available.

What do you guys think of this little powerhouse? :D What are your likes? Any dislikes? I just wish there was a 32GB option...

Some screenshots:

sony-z3-compact-3.jpg

Sony-Xperia-Z3-Compact.png

Trailers/Promos:

Last edited:
Reactions: Geeks Empire

boojay

Oct 15, 2010
I'm curious why they didn't match the 3 gb RAM of the Z3? I'm ok with the 720p display as that will help with battery life, but does less RAM offer the same benefits? Performance will certainly be compromised slightly, obviously, but if this helps extend battery life, it's an acceptable oversight.

matapo

Apr 11, 2013
Johannesburg
Why did they feel the need to make the screen bigger? The Z1C screen size was perfect, make the housing smaller instead! :(

They didn't! That's what I thought was amazing - the screen is larger but the phone dimensions are actually the same as the Z1C (and thinner). You can thank smaller bezels for that! :D

Xperia Z1C Dimensions: 127 x 64.9 x 9.5 mm (5.0 x 2.56 x 0.37 in)

Xperia Z3C Dimensions: 127.3 x 64.9 x 8.6 mm (5.01 x 2.56 x 0.34 in)

I'm curious why they didn't match the 3 gb RAM of the Z3? I'm ok with the 720p display as that will help with battery life, but does less RAM offer the same benefits? Performance will certainly be compromised slightly, obviously, but if this helps extend battery life, it's an acceptable oversight.

It's probably because of the battery...more ram means more wasted resources and a hotter phone (and a smaller phone has less room to lose heat I'd imagine). With Android as efficient as its becoming, I think the difference would seriously be negligible...

My gripe is the 16Gb only...WISH they offered the Z3C as a 32Gb option...

Last edited:

boojay

Oct 15, 2010
They didn't! That's what I thought was amazing - the screen is larger but the phone dimensions are actually the same as the Z1C (and thinner). You can thank smaller bezels for that! :D

It's probably because of the battery...more ram means more wasted resources and a hotter phone (and a smaller phone has less room to lose heat I'd imagine). With Android as efficient as its becoming, I think the difference would seriously be negligible...

My gripe is the 16Gb only...WISH they offered the Z3C as a 32Gb option...
I hear ya about the 16 gb, but at least there's expandable memory. Although it's a head scratcher why it's limited to 64 gb instead of 128 gb like its larger counterpart.

I only bring up the RAM issue because it was shown here between two LG G3 variants where the only difference is the RAM (3gb VS 2gb):

LG G3: 2GB vs 3GB RAM performance showdown [video] - Mobile Geeks

http://www.mobilegeeks.com/lg-g3-2gb-vs-3gb-ram-performance-showdown-video/

And 3 gb RAM clearly outperformed the lesser model, but no mention was made about battery life as a result.

Either way, I'm thinking the Z3 Compact is my top choice at the moment. I'm also eying the Xiaomi Mi4, but it's a little big for my tastes.

fritsprive

Jul 23, 2010
not running for the store

Actually I am a very happy Z1 compact owner, and with 2Gb of Ram, and very similar specs, i will not be running to upgrade.
As I am sure very soon a fully functional 4k and 120fps mod will come to our Z1c 4.4.4 (pleaaassse are you reading this Olokos? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2767005 ), I don't see the need to spend another 400+ dollar on this one.

boojay

Oct 15, 2010
Actually I am a very happy Z1 compact owner, and with 2Gb of Ram, and very similar specs, i will not be running to upgrade.
As I am sure very soon a fully functional 4k and 120fps mod will come to our Z1c 4.4.4 (pleaaassse are you reading this Olokos? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2767005 ), I don't see the need to spend another 400+ dollar on this one.
I'm still considering the Z1C myself if I can get one for the right price. Availability was an issue otherwise I would have gotten one a while ago. For new buyers where money isn't an issue, however, the clear winner is the Z3C.

javierdsv

Feb 25, 2012
Costa Rica
With this new phone at sight, I can expect the Z1 Compact price to drop down a little.
The specifications difference are minimal. But I can still expect it to be superior to any iPhone release they will do the next week.

Also, the design... did you see that white bezel? That is exactly what I wanted from the Z1 Compact, I guess I will be buying it after I sell my Z1 Compact.

I feel it more like a stylish upgrade,
- Bigger screen but lower dimensions? Sold
- Lighter? Sold
- More CPU Speed? Sold
- Better battery? Are you kidding me? It was already great on the Z1 Compact. Definitely sold.

On the other hand, several sites are stating it has a Display with 319 ppi pixel density vs the 342 ppi pixel density from the Z1 Compact. Was this ever intended or are these just unofficial specs ?

fritsprive

Jul 23, 2010
lower ppi is correct

On the other hand, several sites are stating it has a Display with 319 ppi pixel density vs the 342 ppi pixel density from the Z1 Compact. Was this ever intended or are these just unofficial specs ?

Bigger screen with same specs (HD 720p) will always lead to lower ppi. But everything above 300ppi is very good viewable.

Reactions: javierdsv

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
I hear ya about the 16 gb, but at least there's expandable memory. Although it's a head scratcher why it's limited to 64 gb instead of 128 gb like its larger counterpart.
It won't be, the Z1C can rock 128gb as well if you want to. As long as there's no software limitation the microSDXC specification (used in both Z1C and Z3C) has an upper limit of 2TB, but cards of that density don't exist yet obviously, but if we're still running microSD cards at that time, I bet they will work in the Z1C.

Yes, but the screen is still physically larger, 4.3" vs 4.6". I'm saying 4.3" is the perfect size, and if they had kept the 4.3" size and made the body smaller, that would have been awesome. Also, that's a seriously thin phone for its specs. Has there been any word yet on battery capacity?

Reactions: mattdm

fritsprive

Jul 23, 2010
Big plus? My Z1C easily lasts me 2 days, that's enough. But hey, I'm not gonna complain about more! Just saying it's not a necessary improvement, I'd have rather they made the phone physically smaller.

Don't get me wrong, battery life of Z1c is excellent, like you i can do 2 days with one charge, but more is better :p.

But from your posts I understand you prefer smaller and thinner for a succesor.
I am just plain happy that Sony (for now) is the only company that understands that making a midrange midspec overpriced mini and call it S5 mini etcétera doesn't do the trick. Customers want to really have a choice and buy a full spec top model with a smaller footprint.

Last edited:

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
Don't get me wrong, battery life of Z1c is excellent, like you i can do 2 days with one charge, but more is better :p.

But from your posts I understand you prefer smaller and thinner for a succesor.

Indeed, I thought that was the idea with the "Compact" series, while everyone else is busy increasing screen sizes, go the other way and come out victorious. Except 4.6" is basically back to the norm (4.7" is pretty common at least). Still, it's a brilliant looking phone. Heres hoping they don't continue the trend upwards.

boojay

Oct 15, 2010
The biggest selling point for me is the smaller size. Ideally, I'd like the phone to be smaller still, but considering the bombardment of phablets in today's market, I'll take what I can get and am more than happy to settle for the Z3C's 4.6" screen on a 4.3" body. If anything, the bezels could be smaller still and the screen larger, but my favorite form factor will always be the HTC Desire/Nexus One. I think if designed properly, it could have had a decent screen size as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Green only or multi color LED?
    The images/videos I've seen so far online only shows the green LED for charging, not like there were any notifications it's blinking for. I think it's unlikely that Sony (or any manufacturer) will downgrade this aspect though.
    Unlikely is not good enough, we need confirmation.

For me it's a major feature like tap 2 wake and I suppose many people thinks the same.

If anyone has seen notifications on some video or review, please share :)

If you go to the 1:48 mark he says it's a notification LED and you can see it has a red color (in addition to the green we've seen in other reviews).

Here is another proof T2W exists by means of a picture of the manual on areamobile.de (sorry, but I'm not yet allowed to post links as yet it seems).

Goto picture 7, enlarge and read... "Waking up the screen... to enable Tab to Wake...". So, it should work.

Now, what is that second slot under the same flap where the SIM resides (picture #21)?:
    lower ppi is correct

Bigger screen with same specs (HD 720p) will always lead to lower ppi. But everything above 300ppi is very good viewable.
    This is the first Android device I've seen that hasn't lagged a single bit at any point no matter what I do to it. Silky smooth in all situations...
    "low" res + high end hardware for the win.

This is my first impression anyway. Atm I have no issues at all. But there is no "perfect" browser on android yet.. . At least for me :)