Display resolution

OP sturmtruppler

4th September 2014, 07:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 125

366 posts
More
Hey guys!

I'm currently using a xperia zl. I will get a new phone soon, and I really love the z3 compact.
There's only one thing that bothers me: the display resolution
Is it possible for a normal human being like me to see any difference between my current full hd reaolution and the z3c's hd?
I'm reading a lot on my phone, what about tiny little fonts?

I am also connecting my phone to my tv via mhl. Does the resolution of the phone's display affect the pictire on the tv?

Or am I just a victim of the full (or even quad) hd advertising campaign...?

Thanks for your opinion!
4th September 2014, 10:51 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 360

1,462 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmtruppler

Hey guys!

I'm currently using a xperia zl. I will get a new phone soon, and I really love the z3 compact.
Is it possible for a normal human being like me to see any difference between my current full hd reaolution and the z3c's hd?

I am also connecting my phone to my tv via mhl. Does the resolution of the phone's display affect the pictire on the tv?

Thanks for your opinion!

No

Maybe...?

Yes

Yes you're being brainwashed by ads. Companies tend to go for higher and higher resolutions acting as if that really makes a phone better, but it doesn't. Why would such a small device need such a high resolution? It's not like we'll see the difference between 720p and 4k.
On a big screen (monitor) yes! On a phone, HELL NO... It will only deplete your battery faster.

About your TV resolution... well I think it depends how old your TV is. If my mind serves me right, TV's didn't had that great resolutions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dsteppa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 12:21 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 113

271 posts
Quote:

Hey guys!

Thanks for your opinion!

No, you will notice no difference.
Also some big TVīs had in the past "only" 720p....
720p is full enough and will save the battery comparing to FullHD
The Following User Says Thank You to UserX10 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 24

98 posts
On a screen of this size I think even 720p is more than sufficient. Even on a 32" TV your naked eyes will not be able to differentiate 720p from 1080p from a certain distance. The advantage in terms of battery saving is huge and I really am happy that this phone came with only 720p.
The Following User Says Thank You to coolmalayalee For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th September 2014, 12:15 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

12 posts
Quote:

Hey guys!

Thanks for your opinion!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like everyone else said, 720p is just perfect for a phone of this size. 1080p or higher would has been an "overkill" at the expense of battery life.

As for the TV output it depends on the resolution/quality of the original content. If you are just generally mirroring your phone screen it will have a resolution of 720p on the TV (which itself is a very decent quality, most content on TV is 720p anyways). But playing back a high quality 1080p or 4K (the Sony Z3 Compact supports 4K video recording) video from phone, it will be displayed as Full HD on the TV.
The Following User Says Thank You to stnly For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th September 2014, 03:02 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 9

29 posts
More
http://wolfcrow.com/blog/notes-by-dr...the-human-eye/

The most important thing when talking about ppi and which no one of the marketing departments mentions of course, is the viewing distance.

This article is very clear, for a normal human eye 720p at a viewing distance of 30 cm which is quite normal for a phone is sufficient. So, 1080p is already for most of us overkill and everything above pure male cow excrement.
The Following User Says Thank You to fritsprive For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th September 2014, 06:53 AM   |  #7  
Phazon Mines
Thanks Meter: 79

464 posts
More
No, No, & No lol. I enjoy that some companies are trying to get rid of this ridiculous trend (SONY, Motorola, etc.) I'm sure there are more trying to. We could probably have had 3-4 days battery by now if people weren't obsessed with buying into expensive power hungry components.

Guess ads are to blame too, thanks Samsung. Cough *Galaxy Notes -__- nothing wrong with a Note but the screen res is overkill to the max. Anyway rant done, enjoy your amazing battery life you buy it because you didn't get sucked into buying an unnecessary big display.
The Following User Says Thank You to drago10029 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th September 2014, 08:48 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 125

366 posts
More
Ok, ok, I understood...

Thank you all for your opinions and links! :thumbup:
15th September 2014, 11:37 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 29

230 posts
You could probably tell side-by-side. You won't care.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread