[Q] Think I want a Z3V, you guys diggin yours?

Search This thread

americandad

Sep 4, 2014
Been waiting for the S6 to come out and now that it's been released not happy about several things and think I'm going to pass. The Z3V seems to have everything I'm looking for, waterproof and good reception being high on the list.

My needs:
Good call quality and reception
Water proof
Good battery
Good camera
SD card slot
Durable

From everything I've been reading it looks like the Z3V has got this covered. Not sure I like the glass back but it'll live in a case anyways, which I'm finding out there is not much choice there. Btw I'm coming off a Razr Maxx HD, I ruled out the Turbo fairly quick lol. Thanks!

pchain

Oct 30, 2014
My Z3v has blown away every expectation I've had on any phone I have owned. Battery life, radio reception, OS stability, no lag, seriously the smoothest running device I've ever used, camera, SD Storage, 3gb RAM, waterproofing and Wireless Qi charging, stereo front facing speakers, and LED notification. Everything works as intended and expected. I've had mine since launch and 4-5 months later I'm actually more enthused about it than I was the first day. Without question if my phone met its demise today, I'd turn around and get it again without hesitation. It's hard to think about switching to another device when the one you have has performed flawlessly with no hiccups.

The only thing it doesn't have currently but supposedly is planned to is simultaneous data and voice. It is a slight disappointment, but not critical for me.

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
Everything needed to be said, pchain has said it. I won't likely ever get another branded phone since there's nothing too new or attention worthy about them. I'm very disappointed how the S6 turned out to be as the Z3v is already everything as it is but incredibly better.

The glass back isn't too much of a concern since it is Sony's tempered glass. Look up any youtube video of Sony's Drop test, they're nearly indestructible. It's worth it man, get this phone and you won't have to wait as long for the update for simultaneous voice and data.

Reactions: americandad

americandad

Sep 4, 2014
Well I'm sold, thanks for the replies! Should've just got it in January when my contract was up but I was hoping for great things from the S6 and thought I'd wait it out, but like many I'm disappointed in the direction they went.

Reactions: Mountainfisher

AddictedToGlass

Feb 28, 2015
Awsome, but none of these phones are particularly "durable"...

The hardware guts, performance and elegant form of this phone blow me away. No question, hands down, this is more pocket computer than I ever imagined. In the Verizon store it's absolutely the best bang for the buck.
I'm a bit OCD, so if it gets dropped and marred, or scratched, or dented, or cracked I'll completely freak out and cry like a baby! It's not a particularly durable design, but it's really well put together. No weird seems, misalignments, etc. Because I work in landscaping and construction, I've swapped my unused Xoom tablet line with an old handset that I'll bring to work instead of the Xperia so I won't have to feel like I'm performing an act of surgery every time I take a call (cleaning hands off, etc).

I think this phone in a top notch case is super hard to beat for most applications.

DJ Sandman

Nov 2, 2014
IMO - the Z3v is the best bang for your buck. I was first intrigued by Sony Xperia when the Z2 was @ Verizon a few years ago. I'm glad that the Z3v was available when my Razr Maxx bit the dust last Fall, though not initially.

I first went "Cheap" with a LG G Vista, but it shutdown a few times. I swapped it for the Moto X 2014. While the Moto X is a fine phone, it got hot to the touch and the battery isn't the greatest. Luckily - the Z3v came out during my 2 week trial and the third time was the charm!

It has never shutdown, the battery life is pretty good, and the MHL and mirror link functions work via my Smart TV! The same cannot be said on the former phones mentioned.

Last edited:

jornexus

Feb 25, 2013
Go for it!

Based on your post, stan smith, i think this is the ideal phone for you. Thats awesome to hear youre making the move. Just picked the Z3v up a few days ago and I'm blown away. I like to believe im an educated consumer and did a lot of digging on all the latest VZ offerings. My expectations for this phone were sky high and they are being surpassed! i'm running nova launcher and the phone is by far the snappiest device ive ever had. Tap to wake is phenomenal. Having moved here from an HTC ONE M7, my primary concerns were pixel density (M7: 468ppi - Z3v: 424ppi) and screen brightness (M7: 460nits - Z3v: 407nits) but these are no longer a concern. Expectations exceeded.

americandad

Sep 4, 2014
Really excited about this phone! I will admit I'm concerned about the size, haven't even seen one in person yet. I did some comparisons at phonearena and it looks really tall, like .66" taller than my current razr maxx hd. Going to hit Verizon maybe tonight if not tomorrow and check it out, probably bring it home if I think I can manage the size of it. :good:

vplaza96

Mar 23, 2010
I love my phone. I came from a Galaxy S5 and I think this phone is so much better in many ways. I particularly like the solid feel and build of this over the S5. Don't know how it would compare to the S6.

Like someone posted, the only bummer about this phone is the lack of simultaneous voice and data. That is very disappointing in this day and age on a high end phone. But I can live with it and perhaps they will fix that with an update in the future.

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
I love my phone. I came from a Galaxy S5 and I think this phone is so much better in many ways. I particularly like the solid feel and build of this over the S5. Don't know how it would compare to the S6.

Like someone posted, the only bummer about this phone is the lack of simultaneous voice and data. That is very disappointing in this day and age on a high end phone. But I can live with it and perhaps they will fix that with an update in the future.

Idk how solid the S6 would be, but compared to this, it definitely can't withstand water anymore. lol

The lollipop update that will include everything is reaching upon us soon. Sony confirms they're in final phases of testing to work out the bugs. We will all soon get simultaneous voice and data (again, depending from whatever phone we came from before).

americandad

Sep 4, 2014
Got it tonight!! Solid phone, love the look and feel. A little big but I can get used to it. Lol the guy at Verizon didn't know anything about it, said he never sold one and tried to talk me out of it. Once I schooled him on the features he was pretty impressed. Glad to join this very limited club and thanks for all the advice!

Reactions: jornexus

GigaSPX

Dec 2, 2012
Got it tonight!! Solid phone, love the look and feel. A little big but I can get used to it. Lol the guy at Verizon didn't know anything about it, said he never sold one and tried to talk me out of it. Once I schooled him on the features he was pretty impressed. Glad to join this very limited club and thanks for all the advice!

Yay, welcome aboard. I should school the employees more often too because I talk to the reps about account assessment and stuff, and they just have not much of a clue about my phone being there. This is what Apple and Samsung (as well as Motorola Droid) brainwashing does to corporate employees..

AddictedToGlass

Feb 28, 2015
Yay, welcome aboard. I should school the employees more often too because I talk to the reps about account assessment and stuff, and they just have not much of a clue about my phone being there. This is what Apple and Samsung (as well as Motorola Droid) brainwashing does to corporate employees..

Yup-Yup! Pretty sad when the consumer has to do the job of the salesman. but more sad that this illustrates just how easily the masses are brainwashed.

Good for you, AmericanDad. hope you enjoy it!

sabinblitz

Jan 8, 2009
Coming from a rooted Droid DNA w/ a custom ROM, I'm not seeing any improvements, says the camera. If it wasn't for the ailing battery in my DNA, I would have kept it. Form factor is a bit of a downgrade and visually, it looks very reminiscent of the Droid Razr HD. Camera is definitely better, but the autofocus time takes away from it. A good phone, but nothing here to make me forget my DNA entirely.

pchain

Oct 30, 2014
Coming from a rooted Droid DNA w/ a custom ROM, I'm not seeing any improvements, says the camera. If it wasn't for the ailing battery in my DNA, I would have kept it. Form factor is a bit of a downgrade and visually, it looks very reminiscent of the Droid Razr HD. Camera is definitely better, but the autofocus time takes away from it. A good phone, but nothing here to make me forget my DNA entirely.
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking or what your point is but I assure you the Z3v has surpassed every expectation I've had in any device I've ever owned. Battery life will absolutely crush the DNA, radio reception is better than today's Moto offerings, there is zero lag, the camera is really good, it is water proof, has front facing stereo speakers, multicolor LED notification, Qi wireless charging etc. I've had the Z3v since launch and if my device met its fate today I'd immediately get another. Once you have a completely fast stable OS that performs flawlessly you don't want a different device. The Z3v is without a doubt is the most underrated unknown non-marketed devices on Verizon. Unless rooting is a necessity for you there is no reason to question if the z3v is worthy of being your next device. While the DNA is a good device in many ways, the Z3v is good in just about every way. The new Samsung S6,, S6 Edge, and HTC M9 aren't even close in tempting me away from this bulletproof device. I've never had a Sony device before and took a chance and it has been the best technology decision I've made in years. Just my two cents....

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking or what your point is but I assure you the Z3v has surpassed every expectation I've had in any device I've ever owned. Battery life will absolutely crush the DNA, radio reception is better than today's Moto offerings, there is zero lag, the camera is really good, it is water proof, has front facing stereo speakers, multicolor LED notification, Qi wireless charging etc. I've had the Z3v since launch and if my device met its fate today I'd immediately get another. Once you have a completely fast stable OS that performs flawlessly you don't want a different device. The Z3v is without a doubt is the most underrated unknown non-marketed devices on Verizon. Unless rooting is a necessity for you there is no reason to question if the z3v is worthy of being your next device. While the DNA is a good device in many ways, the Z3v is good in just about every way. The new Samsung S6,, S6 Edge, and HTC M9 aren't even close in tempting me away from this bulletproof device. I've never had a Sony device before and took a chance and it has been the best technology decision I've made in years. Just my two cents....

I couldn't say this any better. I really liked the underrated phone part of the post. That is so true. I came from a Nexus 5 on ATT. I am so impressed. My only gripe is I like stock Android. But the phone build quality and the countless other features make it awesome.

americandad

Sep 4, 2014
I've had mine for about a week now. Battery is amazing, I'm on my 4th day without a charge but I'm not a heavy user and it gets turned off at night. Wifi signal is incredible! My workshop is about 150' away from my house and I never got wifi there with my razr maxx hd, but the Z3v gets a strong signal. Real pleased with the call quality also. All in all happy with my choice.

jornexus

Feb 25, 2013
To pile on with the radios, i've been in my current house for nearly five years. Previous phones were htc one m7 and a galaxy sIII prior to that. When making calls, i was forced to stand near the front of the house. living room/foyer/bedroom didn't matter. as long as i was near the front. Most likely due to some very large trees in the backyard. Just last night, i noticed i did not have to leave my den when taking a call. for the first time in this house, i could relax on a phone call. so very pleased with this device.

DubleJayJ

Jan 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
I've heard things like the notification LED are amazing, someone care to elaborate? Not sure what people mean and I've watched some review videos and they don't show it off or anything so I'm confused

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Z3v has blown away every expectation I've had on any phone I have owned. Battery life, radio reception, OS stability, no lag, seriously the smoothest running device I've ever used, camera, SD Storage, 3gb RAM, waterproofing and Wireless Qi charging, stereo front facing speakers, and LED notification. Everything works as intended and expected. I've had mine since launch and 4-5 months later I'm actually more enthused about it than I was the first day. Without question if my phone met its demise today, I'd turn around and get it again without hesitation. It's hard to think about switching to another device when the one you have has performed flawlessly with no hiccups.

The only thing it doesn't have currently but supposedly is planned to is simultaneous data and voice. It is a slight disappointment, but not critical for me.
    I have an S3 running LiquidSmooth LP 4.0 (5.0.2). Phone is running smooth and fast with good battery (with a ZL 2300 battery). But the phone is obviously long in the tooth, so looking at S6 versus Z3. Since I am on Verizon it appears the "V" version is the only Z option for me.

So what's the differences between the V version and a normal Z3? Seems Verizon either opts for a lesser version and/or adds lots of bloaty SW (and an ugly "V" :D) in past phones. Unfortunately in my area Verizon's coverage is noticeably better, so have to stick with V. So any info on what's different on the V version would be much appreciated.

To simply put, it's a compromised fusion between the Z2 and Z3. It's a slightly modified Z2 body with the internal specs and software of a Z3. We get wireless charging and a battery unlike all the other Z phones, which is super convenient and special. We don't suffer the same problems with the Z3 in its camera problem of a pink tint circle and there's no lanyard option that could ruin our waterproof phones.
    We're all only waiting for the lollipop update that gives us simultaneous voice and data during calls, but other than that, it is the best phone to ever own for Verizon.

Idk how solid the S6 would be, but compared to this, it definitely can't withstand water anymore. lol

The lollipop update that will include everything is reaching upon us soon. Sony confirms they're in final phases of testing to work out the bugs. We will all soon get simultaneous voice and data (again, depending from whatever phone we came from before).
    Awsome, but none of these phones are particularly "durable"...

The hardware guts, performance and elegant form of this phone blow me away. No question, hands down, this is more pocket computer than I ever imagined. In the Verizon store it's absolutely the best bang for the buck.
    I'm a bit OCD, so if it gets dropped and marred, or scratched, or dented, or cracked I'll completely freak out and cry like a baby! It's not a particularly durable design, but it's really well put together. No weird seems, misalignments, etc. Because I work in landscaping and construction, I've swapped my unused Xoom tablet line with an old handset that I'll bring to work instead of the Xperia so I won't have to feel like I'm performing an act of surgery every time I take a call (cleaning hands off, etc).

I think this phone in a top notch case is super hard to beat for most applications.