My Favourite G3 Osprey 2015 Roms: Android 11/10 and Android 9. XT1541.

Search This thread

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Moto G3 2015 Osprey XT1541 1GB Ram.32bit(ARM)

AFAIK these roms cover other Moto G3 versions but investigate more for yourself.

Always keep Nandroid backups using TWRP of your running Rom. I keep copies of my latest Android 10 Chli360/Lineage running Roms on my Phone's portable SD card in the phone and also on my Laptop.

https://twrp.me

Warning!

I've never bothered with any Android 8 Oreo roms on my G3 2015 Osprey. I went straight to Android 9(PIE).

https://chil360.github.io

I've tried most and now I'm only interested in the Lineage versions and the Havoc versions of Android 10 as these keep the Hardware FM radio that I like to use.

Havoc version,
Havoc-OS-v3.3-20200306-osprey-Unofficial.zip

Working fine and

Lineage,
ineage-17.1-20200308-UNOFFICIAL-osprey.zip

Working fine.

Note: If I recall correctly Chil360 Havoc Android 10 Rom does not need Gapps installing. If Lineage does I use Arm_10_Pico,

Note:

When setting up the phone I never let the phone install backups automatically I have my apps backed up on my SD card and re-install them from there. Google photos will not not clone-Install and a few others so I just re-download those.

Contacts:

Although Google backs up contacts lists to be safe I keep an,"Old School" backup using the Contact's apps Import/Export option and save them to a .vcf file. This will look like contacts.vcf or 000001.vcf on the phone wherever you have chosen to save it. This can be imported into any contacts app,Even on APPLE phones!
I send a copy of this .vcf file to myself attached to an Email. This means I can download my contacts to any phone anywhere in the World if I ever need to.

Note:

I never encrypt my phones so cannot answer any questions on this subject.

If you want to,"Root" the phone then install the .zip version of Magisk from your phone's Internal Memory and keep it on your phone's Internal memory. You install the .zip using TWRP's install option and always take it's advice on clearing Dalvik Cache and Cache.

Then once the phone is booted update both it and it's manager via an Internet connection.

Note: Some,"Pay/Money" apps will detect that you are running a non-stock rom. You can hide these apps using,"Magisk Hide" and in some cases you need to Hide the app AND then use Magisk option to rename itself. You can call it anything you like but keep it simple like Osprey.

HTH :)

Last edited:

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015

Chil360 has updated the April 2020 Havoc 3.4 and it now installs on the Above phone. I am testing it as I post.

Havoc-OS-v3.4-20200417-osprey-Unofficial.zip. Does not require Gapps installing.

BTW I do like the AOSP_Pizza Android 9 rom for Chil360 as well(Still has FM RAdio).

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261742008

I go back to it sometimes as it has some features others don't have like showing local temp on the Lockscreen and also allows me to install a Custom boot animation logo. I like the old,"Stitch" Moto Logo :)

The Android 10 roms won't let me change the animated loading logos(They will let me change the static boot logo) or I need to find versions that will work with Android 10 :(

Last edited:

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015

Just thought I'd update.

Started to install Chil's latest Paranoid Android and it installed fine but stopped as I realized it doesn't have as many tweaks as Havoc 3.4.

Things I like about Havoc 3 series.

I can have,

Date and time in the notification bar.

Battery percentage next to Battery icon and time left when Notification bar is swiped down.

Easy to swap software buttons(I'm right handed so like my Back button on the right).

It still lets me use my old version of Holo Launcher.

You can assign functions to the Software buttons like Long press to Lockscreen. Can't seem to get Long press to enable the Flashlight tho :(

Advanced Restart on Power button.

Loads more tweaks to explore.

One thing I would like but I'm not sure if the Motos are capable but I have a cheap China phone that lets me double tap the screen to wake it up and I don't mean just at the Top of the phone I mean anywhere on the screen.

I can't see myself using any other version except as stated AOSP Pizza for a bit of a change now and then :)

PS

Continued thanks to CHIL his work is much appreciated keeping these Classic little phones going :)

Last edited:

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Latest Chil360 roms are out. I'm running Havoc(May Security updated) but FM radio not working :(

Last edited:

Gordster

Jan 18, 2018
Has anybody else had issues with the FM radio not working after upgrading to v3.5-20200508 version of Havoc Android 10 for Moto G3 2015? I found after upgrading to this version, the FM radio would no longer work, it would just freeze. Downgrading to v3.4-20200417, it would work perfectly again. Upgrading again to v3.5-20200508, it no longer would work. Has anything been changed that would cause this? Other than this issue, I believe that the ROM is excellent.

Gord

Reactions: R1ffR4ff

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Glad you found this. Checking the FM radio is usually one of the first things I do but didn't this time :(

Yes you are right it's not working for me as well in Havoc 3.5.

Gone back to 3.4 with no problems :good:

Gordster

Jan 18, 2018
Gordster

Thank you for responding to my reply and addressing the FM radio issue. I have found one other ongoing problem with the camera app. This has been occurring with all custom roms that I have tried whether Android 9 or 10. When photos or videos are saved to the internal phone, they go to the "main storage\DCIM\Camera" directory. I however like to save my photos and videos directly to the SD card.
With Android 6 they could be directed to "sdcard\DCIM\Camera" directory but with all custom roms I've tried when directed to the SD card, they wind up in "sdcard\Android\data\org.lineageos.snap\files" directory. Can this be changed so they go directly to the default location "sdcard\DCIM\Camera" directory?
Thanks
Gord

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Thank you for responding to my reply and addressing the FM radio issue. I have found one other ongoing problem with the camera app. This has been occurring with all custom roms that I have tried whether Android 9 or 10. When photos or videos are saved to the internal phone, they go to the "main storage\DCIM\Camera" directory. I however like to save my photos and videos directly to the SD card.
With Android 6 they could be directed to "sdcard\DCIM\Camera" directory but with all custom roms I've tried when directed to the SD card, they wind up in "sdcard\Android\data\org.lineageos.snap\files" directory. Can this be changed so they go directly to the default location "sdcard\DCIM\Camera" directory?
Thanks
Gord

I haven't used a Stock android Camera for years. I use the way better,"Open Camera" .You can set it to save to the SD card by enabling it's framework option and then pointing it to the SD card. It now says it contains ads but It used to be ad-free but I haven't seen any ads even in the latest version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en_GB

Open Camera > Gear icon(settings) More Camera controls and Use Storage Access Framework and then Save location and say yes to permissions asked :)

Last edited:

stukdev

Apr 4, 2020
I haven't used a Stock android Camera for years. I use the way better,"Open Camera" .You can set it to save to the SD card by enabling it's framework option and then pointing it to the SD card. It now says it contains ads but It used to be ad-free but I haven't seen any ads even in the latest version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en_GB

Open Camera > Gear icon(settings) More Camera controls and Use Storage Access Framework and then Save location and say yes to permissions asked :)

How can you use the OpenCamera? I try that but the photo with flash are blur, only Moto Camera can do photo with flash without the blur effect.

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
How can you use the OpenCamera? I try that but the photo with flash are blur, only Moto Camera can do photo with flash without the blur effect.

Open camera has worked on all the roms I've tested.

Try another Camera app and if it does it with that you may have a hardware fault :(

Make a Nandroid backup and then do a Factory reset from Recovery mode but when setting up the phone don't let Google auto install any apps and just get to the Stock camera as soon as you can and see if it works. There may be an app you install that is causing the problem.

BTW.

Check back through this thread on how I install custom roms. I do it clean and add my apps back after I've got into the phone from .apk backups.

Last edited:

stukdev

Apr 4, 2020
Open camera has worked on all the roms I've tested.

Try another Camera app and if it does it with that you may have a hardware fault :(

Make a Nandroid backup and then do a Factory reset from Recovery mode but when setting up the phone don't let Google auto install any apps and just get to the Stock camera as soon as you can and see if it works. There may be an app you install that is causing the problem.

BTW.

Check back through this thread on how I install custom roms. I do it clean and add my apps back after I've got into the phone from .apk backups.

Maybe its an hardware fault, but with the Moto App i haven't any problem :)

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Maybe its an hardware fault, but with the Moto App i haven't any problem :)

See previous reply and also I don't know if you know the,"Soft Reset" trick on Moto phones that can clear some problems.

Press and hold the Power button in for around 10/15 seconds until the phone restarts. This emulates taking the Battery out and can clear clogged RAM of old data that can prevent correct operation :)

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
I've been running the latest May AOSP PIZZA

AOSiP-9.0-Pizza-osprey-20200517.zip

Since yesterday and all seems fine so far. Only thing missing is the local Temp on the lock screen unless I'm missing a setting. This was the same with the last version :(

Not a deal breaker :)

Last edited:

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Installed Chil360's latest AOSP_QUICHE Android 10 June updates(Clean install).

AOSiP-10-Quiche-osprey-20200605.zip

All working well including FM Radio. Updated TWRP using the APP to 3.3.1 as the TWRP clock and date went funky but may not be related.

Phone is still rooted with Magisk and Root removed before installing clean and then re-rooted and Magisk updated.

Nice editing option to move Software buttons around in the AOSP roms. When texting I have a habit of hitting the Home button making my SMS app disappear. I've moved my Home button a little off-centre more to the right(I'm right handed) and this has cured that :)
:)

Update. The Rom is working well but it's doesn't feel as slick as the AOSP_PIZZA version(May version) so I've gone back to that for now just out of personal preference.

So presently my faves are Havoc 3.4 and Havoc 3.6(Android 10) 2020 and AOSP_PIZZA Android 9 May 2020 version(Moto Stitch Boot animation).

Again my ongoing thanks for CHIL360's work in keeping these great little phones updated :D

Last edited:

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Latest Android 10 Havoc 3.6 released by Chil360 with June 2020 updates,

https://chil360.github.io/ten.html

Gapps included.

Installed and all working e.g Text/Calls/GPS/FM Radio/ WiFi/WiFi Hotspot/Camera/Bluetooth etc.

Very fast booting and really slick :)

One possible glitch is the Stock Camera has the option to Save to SD but it doesn't seem to work. As I rarely use the Stock Camera preferring the much better,"Open Camera" from the Playstore this is not an issue for me :cowboy:

PS

Because of the dedication of the Android Developers on here we have an old 2015 Phone/s with more up-to-date software than many brand new phones :D

Last edited:

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Chil360 has released a first and new Rom to his collection. Android 10 PixelExperience Plus 10.0,

If you like Google I think you will like this :)

I wonder if he might be looking to work on the new Android 11 if it can be used on the Moto G3 :D

Then install Gapps if required.
Then do another Factory reset for good measure.

If ever there's a problem when first setting up after the first boot-up has loaded just press and hold the Power Button in for around 10/15 seconds and the phone will reboot(Soft Reset) which emulates taking the Battery out. [/B]

Last edited:

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Chil360 has released a new Rom,

potato_osprey-10-20200619-croquette.v3.2.0+15.Community.zip

Unfortunately I cannot test it as it boot-loops.

Tried all my tricks but no good :(

Gone back to Havoc 3.6 :D

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Latest POSP Croquette v3.2.0-hotfix+16 loads but no FM radio so no good to me :(

Back to Havoc 3.6(Android 10)/ AOSP_PIZZA Android 9 May version :)

Last edited:

Gordster

Jan 18, 2018
The Havoc 3.7 July 2020 release by Chil360 IMO is the best and most stable custom rom I've tested for Moto g3 2015 (osprey) and is highly customizable. I especially like the "smart battery charger" feature which allows the charger to be set at a maximum percentage in my case 92%. I have not found any other custom rom with this feature. This will help prolong the battery life by not charging it to 100% every time. The July 2020 release installed fine and is running with no apparent problems. I tried the latest "official" lineageos version July 3 2020 but had problems with random spontaneous reboots.

Reactions: R1ffR4ff

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used Crdroid v6.8 by Jefferson. I got the screen replaced recently and it was not a job well done so it flickers. Have to rectify that and get the battery replaced.
    Came back to this device thread after a long time and was pleasantly surprised to see so many android 10 custom roms!
    You guys giving your views and recommendations is highly appreciated. Can i also ask do you guys use any additional zip? Saw on Chil360's telegram channel multiple zips to fix ui lags or thermal etc. Also does a particular kernel work better for you ?

I use basically just Havoc 3.7 with arm OpenGApps pico with no additional zips added and no special kernal. This works just fine for me. I have however added Nova Launcher which allow many wonderful features and tools to customize even further. Everything such as wifi, bluetooth, mobile data, gps, compass, etc seem to work well. A good feature of havoc is the smart battery charger which allows a maximum % charge to be set after which the charger turns off. I set it to 90%. I've read that it is easier on the battery and will allow the battery capacity to last longer if it is not always charged up to 100% ever time.

AFAIK these roms cover other Moto G3 versions but investigate more for yourself.

Always keep Nandroid backups using TWRP of your running Rom. I keep copies of my latest Android 10 Chli360/Lineage running Roms on my Phone's portable SD card in the phone and also on my Laptop.

https://twrp.me

Warning!

I've never bothered with any Android 8 Oreo roms on my G3 2015 Osprey. I went straight to Android 9(PIE).

I've tried most and now I'm only interested in the Lineage versions and the Havoc versions of Android 10 as these keep the Hardware FM radio that I like to use.

Havoc version,
    Havoc-OS-v3.3-20200306-osprey-Unofficial.zip

Working fine and

Lineage,
    ineage-17.1-20200308-UNOFFICIAL-osprey.zip

Working fine.

Note: If I recall correctly Chil360 Havoc Android 10 Rom does not need Gapps installing. If Lineage does I use Arm_10_Pico,

Note:

When setting up the phone I never let the phone install backups automatically I have my apps backed up on my SD card and re-install them from there. Google photos will not not clone-Install and a few others so I just re-download those.

Contacts:

Although Google backs up contacts lists to be safe I keep an,"Old School" backup using the Contact's apps Import/Export option and save them to a .vcf file. This will look like contacts.vcf or 000001.vcf on the phone wherever you have chosen to save it. This can be imported into any contacts app,Even on APPLE phones!
    I send a copy of this .vcf file to myself attached to an Email. This means I can download my contacts to any phone anywhere in the World if I ever need to.

Note:

I never encrypt my phones so cannot answer any questions on this subject.

If you want to,"Root" the phone then install the .zip version of Magisk from your phone's Internal Memory and keep it on your phone's Internal memory. You install the .zip using TWRP's install option and always take it's advice on clearing Dalvik Cache and Cache.

Then once the phone is booted update both it and it's manager via an Internet connection.

Note: Some,"Pay/Money" apps will detect that you are running a non-stock rom. You can hide these apps using,"Magisk Hide" and in some cases you need to Hide the app AND then use Magisk option to rename itself. You can call it anything you like but keep it simple like Osprey.

HTH :)
    Has anybody else had issues with the FM radio not working after upgrading to v3.5-20200508 version of Havoc Android 10 for Moto G3 2015? I found after upgrading to this version, the FM radio would no longer work, it would just freeze. Downgrading to v3.4-20200417, it would work perfectly again. Upgrading again to v3.5-20200508, it no longer would work. Has anything been changed that would cause this? Other than this issue, I believe that the ROM is excellent.

Gord
    The Havoc 3.7 July 2020 release by Chil360 IMO is the best and most stable custom rom I've tested for Moto g3 2015 (osprey) and is highly customizable. I especially like the "smart battery charger" feature which allows the charger to be set at a maximum percentage in my case 92%. I have not found any other custom rom with this feature. This will help prolong the battery life by not charging it to 100% every time. The July 2020 release installed fine and is running with no apparent problems. I tried the latest "official" lineageos version July 3 2020 but had problems with random spontaneous reboots.
    I'm liking ASOP Pizza. It's a lot faster than L17.1 for sure. I have one issue though. When I charge is says "charging slowly" and it takes a while to top up the battery. DO you know what the issue could be?
    I think it said that when I used it but still seems to charge fine. I do have an old Samsung mains charger and I think that worked better so it might be picking up that it's connected to a normal USB cable.