FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to get the URL for an OTA update

2,528 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,424

By hp420, Senior Member on 22nd October 2015, 01:29 AM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
Although we're not expecting any OTA for a good few weeks for Moto G3, I think it's better to have this up well in advance. Especially after how long we all waited last time we got an OTA, just to get someone who knew how to do this to get the notification.

So here we go...let's keep this bumped every couple weeks so it stays at the top, shall we?

The following requirements must be met:
  • latest stock android rom for your device (ota or factory image will do) ANY mods at all will cause the update to fail installing, but does not affect the OTA notification or downloading the OTA!! this includes root/SuperSU, as well as recovery
  • adb installed on your computer (the easiest way is with minimal adb.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2317790)

When you get the ota notification DO NOT download the update, and DO NOT reboot your phone!
  • plug your usb cable into your computer (not a front port)
  • open the command terminal (start>accessories>cmd or type cmd in the search under the start menu. if you use minimal adb, open this.)
  • enable usb debugging on your android (settings>development>enable usb debugging)
  • type the following line exactly as it's written then press enter
  • adb logcat
  • it will print out a whole bunch of text below this line in the command terminal.
  • start the OTA download (you don't have to finish it if you don't want...just starting is enough to get the url)
  • copy and paste everything from the terminal into a notebook text document and attach it to your post if you can't find the url in this text yourself. someone will help you, for sure!

now it is safe to reboot your phone and install the update
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to hp420 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hp420 Ad-Free
22nd October 2015, 01:38 PM
Flag PUNE
Thanks Meter: 109

More
Thanks for Noob friendly guide. I will definitely try after getting OTA. Hope it will be soon.

Sent from my MotoG3 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
9th November 2015, 11:45 AM
Flag Rajahmundry
Thanks Meter: 201

More
next time when i get update i will try this
21st November 2015, 01:12 AM
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 42

More
bump
27th November 2015, 05:53 AM
Marshmallow OTA notifications are hitting devices in a few regions. Let's grab those download links, people!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to hp420 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hp420 Ad-Free
27th November 2015, 09:05 AM
Flag India - Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,031

Donate to Me
More
Someone in India please try to grab this for us..
Someone in India please try to grab Marshmallow for us..
30th November 2015, 11:58 PM
Bump!

US 6.0 firmware 24.11.18 OTA is on its way. Let's get that URL everyone!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hp420 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hp420 Ad-Free
22nd December 2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks!! Would try when I get the OTA for MM
22nd December 2015, 01:59 PM
Thanks Meter: 2,518

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp420

Bump!

US 6.0 firmware 24.11.18 OTA is on its way. Let's get that URL everyone!!

waiting zip ota
29th December 2015, 01:09 AM
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks for the guide !
Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)