FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Can the LTE band unlocker utility unlock band 12 again?

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By dekyle, Junior Member on 5th August 2015, 04:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've seen this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/cros...ating-t2871269

And since we're all pretty sure due to FCC filings that the Moto hardware supports band 12, could anyone tell me itd be possible to open this great budget phone up to t mobiles expanding 700mhz coverage?

5th August 2015, 03:13 PM |#2  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 777

Donate to Me
More
Even if you unlock the band, without VoLTE support you wouldn't be able to make calls or send/receive sms messages. This is why Motorola disabled it.
5th August 2015, 06:07 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Is that really so important though? Data coverage is all I really need. If there's 2g or 3g fallback texts will still come in, and I think I've gotten texts on lte only mode on my galaxy s4 even on roms that don't support VoLTE or WiFi calling, so texts might still work. Calling can easily be done over Google hangouts as a data call anyway. The coverage is most important to power users, not making it compatible with calls

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben7337 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ben7337 Ad-Free
5th August 2015, 06:47 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
I'll be driving to Seattle from Chicago next week and I could use all of the additional coverage I can get. I really don't care if I can't get traditional voice / text, hangouts etc are perfectly fine stop gaps. I'm going to buy a Moto G from Best Buy and try this but with no band 12 near me I can't know if it actually is working. If anyone who has coverage in their area wants to give it a shot, I think everyone would love to know if its possible.
6th August 2015, 04:04 AM |#5  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 777

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337

Is that really so important though? Data coverage is all I really need. If there's 2g or 3g fallback texts will still come in, and I think I've gotten texts on lte only mode on my galaxy s4 even on roms that don't support VoLTE or WiFi calling, so texts might still work. Calling can easily be done over Google hangouts as a data call anyway. The coverage is most important to power users, not making it compatible with calls

If the radio supports band 12, then you can definitely unlock it. Give it a try.
6th August 2015, 04:49 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryude

If the radio supports band 12, then you can definitely unlock it. Give it a try.

I returned my phone, and that guide seems to be very device specific. Since no one has done it for the Moto G 3rd gen yet, I could easily brick my phone with the only fix as "flash the stock FTF file" which seems to be some special file for sony devices? I'd rather not get in over my head and ruin a brand new device.
14th August 2015, 10:54 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unlock instruction
I found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...31&postcount=1
But it's for 1st gen
20th August 2015, 02:42 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Just so you know.. most of the twin cities area you'd be driving through has band 12 with t-mobile (multiple sources on Google as well as personal experience working at MSP). Band 12 probably wont be deployed anytime soon in rural areas because T-mobile is only using it in urban areas to penetrate buildings with lower frequencies with less line-of-sight areas. What you'd be wanting to look for is T-Mobile refarming their old 2G (EDGE) towers to LTE. Regardless, even with 2G coverage you can still get calls/text/Google Maps to work.

I travel all of North America for work and I'm in a different state every week. I carry a T-Mobile phone as my primary and a Cricket phone (through AT&T) as a backup. I know most people don't have that luxury of carrying two carriers with them, so I keep up to date on this stuff as best I can. People have been getting really mis-informed with this whole T-Mobile Band 12 thing lately.

Another trivial fact.. Minneapolis metro area is one of the best covered metro locations in North America for T-Mobile. Because they bought out VoiceStream, that was one of their top markets. I remember having them when I lived up there years ago!

Anyway, have a safe trip! I'm jealous you're heading to Seattle. Used to live out there as well and I woul do anything to move back! I just got married out there last December.
2nd September 2015, 01:43 PM |#9  

More
Hi everybody
Someone check the link shared by lockheed_man in a Moto G (3rd generation)?
Thanks in advance
20th November 2015, 04:31 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Anyone with an unlocked band 12?
20th November 2015, 06:07 PM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337

Regular sms needs a voice signal. If you got a text with only data it was an mms.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)