FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

MMS not working

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By emanresutseb, Junior Member on 14th April 2019, 11:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello all! Long time lurker and user of LOS 14.1 on my osprey. COM13 before that. I'm not a tech wizard like most of you, but I'd say I'm fairly good at navigating this stuff. Hope someone out there can help me out with MMS issues.

I'm on 14.1-20190220-Nightly with squid's kernel and my service provider is T-mobile. I can't pinpoint exactly when but at some point in the last month, I stopped receiving MMS messages. I can send them, but when I try to receive, I get the "check your APN settings" message. APN settings have not changed and I have confirmed they are correct. I've wiped the cache partition and that did nothing. I don't know what else to try.

A possible related issue: sometimes SMS doesn't come through either until I turn off WiFi, or reboot. This is a difficult thing to reproduce, it seems intermittent.

Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

19th April 2019, 06:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
In the settings find the option to reset the Network settings.This section can get munged.I'm not on the Stock rom on my 2015 X1541(Osprey) I've recently installed Lineage's 16.1,"Pie" .Absolute dream rom.I didn't think anyone would bother making PIE for such and old phone but Lineage have done it proud
22nd April 2019, 02:30 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff

In the settings find the option to reset the Network settings.This section can get munged.I'm not on the Stock rom on my 2015 X1541(Osprey) I've recently installed Lineage's 16.1,"Pie" .Absolute dream rom.I didn't think anyone would bother making PIE for such and old phone but Lineage have done it proud

How long ago did you install 16.1? Any issues at all with it? I might just go that route

I recently did the Network Settings Refresh to try and solve an issue with constant dropped Bluetooth connections. But I will give it another try! Thanks!
22nd April 2019, 03:08 PM |#4  

More
I installed PIE a few days ago.Not had one single problem with it.

I got it from here,

http://www.droidthunder.com/android-9-0-pie-on-moto-g3/

and I think it's compatible with your phone if.....

This Android 9.0 Pie based Lineage OS 16 ROM is compatible only with Motorola Moto G3 (Moto G 2015) with model numbers XT1540, XT1541, XT1542, XT1543, XT1544, XT1548 and XT1550. So do not try to flash this unofficial custom ROM on any other phone as it may cause permanent damage or even brick your phone. So its always better to confirm your device before moving ahead.

I made and kept a Nandroid backup of the Stock rom on my Laptop just in case.I now keep a Nandroid backup the PIE install with all my apps installed and the phone setup on my Laptop as well.

So many great features in PIE.I've even been able to swap my Return and Recent apps buttons from Left-to-Right as I'm right handed and hated having the Return button on the left

Tip:
If you do install any Custom rom wait for it's first boot to normal screen(Usually takes quite a while) then reboot to Recovery and do a Factory reset before you set up the phone.I've done this with every Custom rom I've installed on Android phones and it seems to prevent many problems.

I think some people also do a Factory reset before installing Custom roms as well.I can't remember if I did but most likely did .
23rd April 2019, 10:32 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

I installed PIE a few days ago.Not had one single problem with it.

I got it from here,

and I think it's compatible with your phone if.....

This Android 9.0 Pie based Lineage OS 16 ROM is compatible only with Motorola Moto G3 (Moto G 2015) with model numbers XT1540, XT1541, XT1542, XT1543, XT1544, XT1548 and XT1550. So do not try to flash this unofficial custom ROM on any other phone as it may cause permanent damage or even brick your phone. So its always better to confirm your device before moving ahead.

I made and kept a Nandroid backup of the Stock rom on my Laptop just in case.I now keep a Nandroid backup the PIE install with all my apps installed and the phone setup on my Laptop as well.

So many great features in PIE.I've even been able to swap my Return and Recent apps buttons from Left-to-Right as I'm right handed and hated having the Return button on the left

Tip:
If you do install any Custom rom wait for it's first boot to normal screen(Usually takes quite a while) then reboot to Recovery and do a Factory reset before you set up the phone.I've done this with every Custom rom I've installed on Android phones and it seems to prevent many problems.

I think some people also do a Factory reset before installing Custom roms as well.I can't remember if I did but most likely did .

Interesting. Have you tested MMS and Bluetooth? If those are working, I might just do this.

Thanks for the tips, I keep full nandroid backups too, just in case. I hadn't heard about performing the factory resets during the process but I will do that this time. Is the sequence: factory reset, then boot the ROM, then reboot back into TWRP, then wipe and flash as normal, then boot into new ROM, then reboot into TWRP, factory reset, then finally boot the ROM and setup as normal?

It seems strange that droidthunder instructs you to copy the zip file to internal memory, then wipe the internal memory and then try to flash the zip. Doesn't seem like that would work. Why not just copy the zip to the SD card and flash from there?

Cheers!
24th April 2019, 01:16 PM |#6  

More
I think I just copied mine to the SD card.

I don't use MMS much as WhatsApp etc is way better and normal phone calls/Networks are getting old now but I've just tested MMS and working fine.

I don't use Bluetooth much but it works between my Moto G3 and my DooGee Chinaphone running Android Mokee custom rom.

PIE rocks!!!!!!!

Better battery management.Super slick and as said great features.I don't use the new Gesture system as I've always used,"Holo Launcher" instead of stock launchers and use it's Gesture options but PIE has loads of features but they have been moved around a bit just a bit of a new learning curve but nothing too hard.
24th April 2019, 11:51 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

I think I just copied mine to the SD card.

I don't use MMS much as WhatsApp etc is way better and normal phone calls/Networks are getting old now but I've just tested MMS and working fine.

I don't use Bluetooth much but it works between my Moto G3 and my DooGee Chinaphone running Android Mokee custom rom.

PIE rocks!!!!!!!

Better battery management.Super slick and as said great features.I don't use the new Gesture system as I've always used,"Holo Launcher" instead of stock launchers and use it's Gesture options but PIE has loads of features but they have been moved around a bit just a bit of a new learning curve but nothing too hard.

Cool! Thanks for the feedback! I'll assume I have the factory reset sequence correct. I dig Holo Launcher too. Been using it for many years now
25th April 2019, 06:47 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresutseb

Cool! Thanks for the feedback! I'll assume I have the factory reset sequence correct. I dig Holo Launcher too. Been using it for many years now

One word of warning.If you do a Factory reset after installing the Custom Rom it unroots the phone but I wanted that as one of my Banking apps won't run on a Rooted phone.I could just leave it rooted and use the Banking web page but the apps are more convenient
25th April 2019, 08:01 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

One word of warning.If you do a Factory reset after installing the Custom Rom it unroots the phone but I wanted that as one of my Banking apps won't run on a Rooted phone.I could just leave it rooted and use the Banking web page but the apps are more convenient

Ah yes, good point. I do like some rooted apps like Titanium and Greenify.
25th April 2019, 08:12 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresutseb

Ah yes, good point. I do like some rooted apps like Titanium and Greenify.

You don't need Titanium as TWRP Nandroid backup saves everything on the internal memory and everything else I want to keep is on the cloud or copied via USB to my PC/Latop.

As for Greenify those kind of apps are useless.You don't need battery savers in Android and even less since Marshamallow.PIE has awesome Battery management and even learns your usage.
8th May 2019, 04:14 AM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
FYI. I tried so many different things and nothing worked. Factory reset, no. Clean wipe and reflashed 14.1, no. Called service provider and they refreshed my connection, no. Then I installed squid2's 15.1 beta and it is working very well. Solved a lot of different annoying issues I was having. Hope it keeps working!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)