Reset and Stuck on "Checking for updates"

Search This thread
Mar 11, 2017
Hi guys, I did the recovery dance and my phone is now stuck on "Checking for updates" at the beginning after wifi verification. Tried resetting a million times and nothing works. So I got adventurous and downloaded a stock ROM, read about the adb sideloading and tried to do that but got this error about invalid signature or something.

So my questions are, how do I make my phone run again? I don't want to mod or anything I just want it to run as a normal phone since it's for my little daughter to use for her games.

Is there a way to make it run again? Do I have to download the original ROM? Where is it? I've tried all Lenovo and Motorola sites but can't find them. Ok, now let's say the original rom doesn't exist, I don't care, I want to make it run, so please help me and tell me what ROM should I download and how to install it. I don't care if it has virus or rootkits, the phone won't be used for anything but playing games, it doesn't even have a sim card.

So, in short, let's make my phone run again, whatever it takes, please.

Moto G3 - XT1540 - 2015 - 1GB RAM

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2017
One more thing, here in Venezuela we have the slowest connection in the whole world, so downloading one gigabyte of rom takes a whole day. Could that be a possibility that "checking for updates" actually is checking for updates and taking forever?

Should I leave the phone "checking for updates" for 24 hours at least? Last time I left it for 6 hours and nothing changed. And WHY THE EFFING EFF Android doesn't let us know what is doing and telling us some progress at least so we don't wait like idiots for a EFFING phone that probably is doing nothing?

Sorry, had to vent.

M_Maha

May 21, 2014
https://xdaforums.com/2015-moto-g/general/index-moto-g-factory-firmware-images-t3169639

This link will help. Make sure you download the correct rom for your specific device and follow the instructions to the dot.

One more thing, here in Venezuela we have the slowest connection in the whole world, so downloading one gigabyte of rom takes a whole day. Could that be a possibility that "checking for updates" actually is checking for updates and taking forever?

It is unlikely that the problem is caused by the slow internet. Try a hard reboot maybe?

If your problem is resolved confirm it here and hit Thanks :p

Mar 11, 2017
https://xdaforums.com/2015-moto-g/general/index-moto-g-factory-firmware-images-t3169639

This link will help. Make sure you download the correct rom for your specific device and follow the instructions to the dot.

It is unlikely that the problem is caused by the slow internet. Try a hard reboot maybe?

If your problem is resolved confirm it here and hit Thanks :p

Ok, after 24 hours it's still checking for updates so definitely is not the connection.

I will try the link you posted but before, how do I do a hard reset? Is that the Power+VolDn thing I've done a thousand times to get to the belly up android? Or the Power+VolUp for 120 secs while charging?

M_Maha

May 21, 2014
Ok, after 24 hours it's still checking for updates so definitely is not the connection.

I will try the link you posted but before, how do I do a hard reset? Is that the Power+VolDn thing I've done a thousand times to get to the belly up android? Or the Power+VolUp for 120 secs while charging?

Press and hold the Power and Volume Up for 30 secs. This won't erase the data but reboot

If that doesn't work, try this
With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
Press the Volume Down key to highlight Recovery mode.
Press the Power key to restart into Recovery mode.
The screen will display an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
While holding down the Power key, press and release the Volume Up key, then release Power.
Use the volume keys to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the Power key to select it.
Scroll down to Yes - erase all user data and press the Power key to select it.

Also you kept the unresponsive phone on for 24 hours?

Last edited:
Reactions: SIRHC01
D

Deleted member 4665219

How do I get to the TWRP terminal with a dead phone? Or is that from the computer connected to USB?

Just boot into TWRP by pressing and holding power button+volume down and then choose recovery.
Then you are inside TWRP
Go to Advanced -> Terminal and input the command there (may need to mount /system with Mount -> Tick System)
EDIT: Don't factory reset as another user said above me. It didn't help me at all when I had this issue. Bypassing first setup with this command actually helped me. To force a reboot on your device press an dhold power button+volume down and when the menu pops up roll around the options with the volume buttons until you see Recovery and press the power button to choose it. Then you can do the things I mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator:

lukman25

Oct 13, 2017
Just boot into TWRP by pressing and holding power button+volume down and then choose recovery.
Then you are inside TWRP
Go to Advanced -> Terminal and input the command there (may need to mount /system with Mount -> Tick System)
EDIT: Don't factory reset as another user said above me. It didn't help me at all when I had this issue. Bypassing first setup with this command actually helped me. To force a reboot on your device press an dhold power button+volume down and when the menu pops up roll around the options with the volume buttons until you see Recovery and press the power button to choose it. Then you can do the things I mentioned above.

what is the command sir

griffoun

Feb 26, 2008
gapps problem - re-download gapps from opengapps.org and
wipe advanced
system
data
dalvik/art
cache
then flash ROM
then flash gapps
boot
Be sure to select "set up as new" during install.

On the TWRP Terminal:
echo "ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED" >> /system/build.prop
this will skip the first setup!
edit: may need to mount /system

I downloaded the ROM from this thread, stuck at "Checking for Updates"... then tried disabling setup wizard method and booted up. However the GApps are nowhere to be found...

That's after a clean flash, with the almost-latest LineageOS14.1 ROM, tried both pico and nano OpenGApps, cleaned cache, and starting up the device.

Stupidrooter

Feb 8, 2020
Answers in old threads

On the TWRP Terminal:

Hi michkost858.
Can I query something? I just flashed Magisk on my wife's oooold Samsung J5 prime. After lots of workarounds, I got it to boot, but I am stuck on the eternal "Checking for updates" screen with the first setup.

Your advice sounds good, but I want to check with you if I am doing something wrong:
1) I boot into TWRP, select advanced, select terminal
2) I then type in the following exactly:
3) It does not give me any confirmation, it just goes to the next line.
4)I then go to reboot, system, to restart the phone
5)But then it goes straight into the initial setup where it says "Hi there"... (I hate that screen)

Am I doing something wrong or is there another solution/workaround?
Regards,
Stupidrooter

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Hi michkost858.
Can I query something? I just flashed Magisk on my wife's oooold Samsung J5 prime. After lots of workarounds, I got it to boot, but I am stuck on the eternal "Checking for updates" screen with the first setup.

Your advice sounds good, but I want to check with you if I am doing something wrong:
1) I boot into TWRP, select advanced, select terminal
2) I then type in the following exactly:
3) It does not give me any confirmation, it just goes to the next line.
4)I then go to reboot, system, to restart the phone
5)But then it goes straight into the initial setup where it says "Hi there"... (I hate that screen)

Am I doing something wrong or is there another solution/workaround?
Regards,
Stupidrooter

Try this.

Boot to Recovery mode and do a Factory reset. Now when the phone boots up SKIP everything. You can setup the WiFi etc a bit later and then see if it will update.?

And or find the Updater app and disable background data so it doesn't call home.

HTH :

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 4665219
    On the TWRP Terminal:
    gapps problem - re-download gapps from opengapps.org and
    wipe advanced
    system
    data
    dalvik/art
    cache
    then flash ROM
    then flash gapps
    boot
    Be sure to select "set up as new" during install.

Press and hold the Power and Volume Up for 30 secs. This won't erase the data but reboot

If that doesn't work, try this
    With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
    Press the Volume Down key to highlight Recovery mode.
    Press the Power key to restart into Recovery mode.
    The screen will display an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
    While holding down the Power key, press and release the Volume Up key, then release Power.
    Use the volume keys to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the Power key to select it.
    Scroll down to Yes - erase all user data and press the Power key to select it.

Also you kept the unresponsive phone on for 24 hours?