[ROM][osprey] Official LineageOS 14.1

827 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,021

By Alberto97, Recognized Developer on 21st September 2016, 08:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th August 2017, 05:23 PM |#5181  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
RE What exactly is dirty flash ... please could you point me to some relevant instructions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeadm

It is flashing without wiping anything. Everything stays intact. Just install the weekly update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM22

iow don't do that!!!

I found 2 old articles on this ... are they still valid?
http://ajgupta.github.io/android/201...id-custom-ROM/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com..._lets_set_the/

The second one seems to give a good rationale behind it ... seems to depend on how much risk / effort you are prepared to do.

Interestingly it appears there is dirty and down right filthy
for dirty flash they both recommend to Clear cache/Dalvik and reflash GAPPS... (I guess compared to this to wipe nothing could be called a filthy flash )

For clean flash (include a Factory reset) they recommend Titanium Backup to preserve / reinstall apps .... is that still the recommended tool or something else these days?

thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to smiffyma For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smiffyma Ad-Free

11th August 2017, 05:47 PM |#5182  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 1,990

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffyma

thanks ...
regarding dirty flash .... so I have only ever done the full, clean flash....
What exactly is dirty flash ... please could you point me to some relevant instructions?
thanks agaon[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote:

iow don't do that!!!

in most cases people wipe to much. here's an old how to & why,
still actual: [EDIT: DONT flash gapps after rom if you do a dirty flash. They have a fallback script nowdays, which preserves them.] https://github.com/M66B/cm-xtended/w...or-not-to-wipe
in short:
if you just upgrading your currrent rom (LineageOS older built -> Lineage latest build etc) you DONT have to wipe anything, its pointless, you just do the dirty flash:
just flash rom. dont flash gapps again, they have a fallback script, so they stay automaticly. system gets wiped automaticly also before install. boot & done. you may need to enable/flash all your mods to the system again, if you had some. all your data stays like before update

Clean flash: means you make a full factory reset (wipe system, data, cache) in recovery, than install only rom, gapps & the root zip if you need. clean flash is only needed when you change the android version (6 to 7, 7 to 8 etc). also if you encounter some bugs in your current rom, the first thing to do is (make a backup) a clean flash. so you can see if the bug is there also or its because of your mods etc.

peace

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffyma

RE What exactly is dirty flash ... please could you point me to some relevant instructions?

I found 2 old articles on this ... are they still valid?
http://ajgupta.github.io/android/201...id-custom-ROM/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com..._lets_set_the/
The second one seems to give a good rationale behind it ... seems to depend on how much risk / effort you are prepared to do.
Interestingly it appears there is dirty and down right filthy
for dirty flash they both recommend to Clear cache/Dalvik and reflash GAPPS... (I guess compared to this to wipe nothing could be called a filthy flash )
For clean flash (include a Factory reset) they recommend Titanium Backup to preserve / reinstall apps .... is that still the recommended tool or something else these days?
thanks again

i dont recommend titanium backup, as if you make a clean flash, it may brings the bugs back because it just puts the userdata back in. better do a real clean install, also these days google saves a lot (and recovers it at on setup if you log in with ur email) just make sure you have backup for whatsapp / other apps that are important for you. data on sd card never gets touched.

for the dalvik cache its located in /cache so you need just wipe one - /cache
do not reflash gapps on dirty flash - this is a well known fail for getting problems
The Following User Says Thank You to bejunk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bejunk Ad-Free
11th August 2017, 08:25 PM |#5183  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
I use moto z camera because i am not satisfied with the inbuild one. Afer each weekly update i have to reflash moto z as well.
Is it possible to get moto camera as inbuild one??
11th August 2017, 09:31 PM |#5184  
Flag waves gently lapping on the beach
Thanks Meter: 907

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dau999

I use moto z camera because i am not satisfied with the inbuild one. Afer each weekly update i have to reflash moto z as well.

Nope

Sent from my MotoG3 using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to KrisM22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KrisM22 Ad-Free
11th August 2017, 10:13 PM |#5185  
Flag Lost Angeles
Thanks Meter: 441

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dau999

This type of stuff is not controlled by the rom maintainer but rather by the devs in charge of lineage os. Only developers of custom roms would take something like this into consideration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hedied4me For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hedied4me Ad-Free
11th August 2017, 10:34 PM |#5186  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejunk

i dont recommend titanium backup, as if you make a clean flash, it may brings the bugs back because it just puts the userdata back in.

I use TBP all the time, but, yes, if you're having problems you need to restore w/o data - that's an option in TBP.

--> If you are testing for something to report here, test it on rom+gapps+(optionally) root - nothing else. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of your and our time.

Yes, you could file a jira bug and request that camera just to see what the Devs would do. However, there are currently 1.6million (1,635,974) LineageOS users - imagine what it would be like if each had their special module(s) included!
12th August 2017, 12:39 AM |#5187  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:

iow don't do that!!!

Our friend is far from being a beta tester. Just wants to resurrect someone else's phone. .
12th August 2017, 12:42 AM |#5188  

More
BT disconnect, wifi reconnect after out of range, Bug 444 still happens, added log and comment.
https://jira.lineageos.org/projects/...C+updated+DESC
14th August 2017, 04:25 AM |#5189  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
how is the battery backup in the latest build?
14th August 2017, 05:09 AM |#5190  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 523

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuSarkar13

how is the battery backup in the latest build?

It's depends on you're usage.. but for me battery life is good since 13 july build
15th August 2017, 01:09 PM |#5191  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I am getting a problem using this rom
As when I either call someone or recieves a call the phone goes on DND mode after the call is over
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)