FORUMS

Photo quality

808 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,157

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 27th March 2020, 09:03 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Huawei P40 Pro+ come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
2nd July 2020, 08:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Some real life shots of the different zoom levels, overcast day as you can see.
0.5x 1x 3x 10x 20x
Attached photos but they are compressed i think so ZIP file also with the originals
Some colour shift between lenses which i hope they sort out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200702_155243.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	5052027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200702_155237.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	5052029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200702_155240.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	5052031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200702_155232.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	5052033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200702_165843.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	5052035  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Photos.zip - [Click for QR Code] (11.01 MB, 44 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to orbital247 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift orbital247 Ad-Free
21st July 2020, 11:28 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDA_RealLifeReview

Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the Huawei P40 Pro+ come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Talking about lightinng, taken just yestarday. Amazing thunderstorm! Amazing phone! All photos taken in manual mode.
(sorry, as im new I cant post my photo, any help? I've tried to put a google photo link but it doesnt appear, shoul be the resolution? Thank you!)
9th September 2020, 12:09 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
IMG_20200824_155908-01 by Cam todd, on Flickr
IMG_20200824_175315 by Cam todd, on Flickr
IMG_20200824_174605 by Cam todd, on Flickr
17th September 2020, 10:18 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Not for nothing, that top picture is horrendous. That HDR didn't work at all around the tree.
17th September 2020, 11:05 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujimens

Not for nothing, that top picture is horrendous. That HDR didn't work at all around the tree.

That was a filter I added to given that effect..the original pic not like that
17th September 2020, 11:07 PM |#7  

More
The problem is filters only work with the data they are provided and tune it. The HDR error is not in the filter, but in the original. And that's a problem.
18th September 2020, 12:02 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

The problem is filters only work with the data they are provided and tune it. The HDR error is not in the filter, but in the original. And that's a problem.

We can't know for sure without seeing the original. If the filter literally adds a glow around the edges of darker objects, accentuating them against the sky, then it's working as intended and the HDR is not to blame. Since filters can be pretty fancy these days, rather than simple colour shift ones of the past, I'd reserve judgement. Some phones can even insert AR characters or masks with "filters"... Kermit the frog doesn't look like a filter to me, but some programmer thought he was.
18th September 2020, 07:01 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambofuk

That was a filter I added to given that effect..the original pic not like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeHelmet

We can't know for sure without seeing the original. If the filter literally adds a glow around the edges of darker objects, accentuating them against the sky, then it's working as intended and the HDR is not to blame. Since filters can be pretty fancy these days, rather than simple colour shift ones of the past, I'd reserve judgement. Some phones can even insert AR characters or masks with "filters"... Kermit the frog doesn't look like a filter to me, but some programmer thought he was.

That's not how filters work. You made that up out of thin air. This is a common problem with most every HDR system, even the very best ones will have errors like this and the filter effect you're seeing here is that it enhanced the contrast between the lighter and darker rendered areas of the sky. The problem is the rendering that was cooked into the original and the tree is the classic test example for HDR accuracy and refinement. It may not be a huge difference in the original, but the data is there and the filter amplifies it. The end result is that if this issue is cooked into the original, it makes processing latitude, whether using simple filters, or using professional processing software, extremely limited, if not time consuming.

You're trying to fake technical talk. I'm a photographer, I do this every single day for a living and part of the problem with dealing critically with smartphones and trying to get improvements is that there are people online who act like they designed the phone and are being personally attacked and then lie about what's going on to cover for the company. It's weird as hell where the phone is a tool in some countries, to some people, while in other countries, the phone is your social score. The HDR processing screwed up, BFD. No need to make up transparent lies and excuses and pretend everyone else knows as little as you.
18th September 2020, 07:33 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

That's not how filters work. You made that up out of thin air. This is a common problem with most every HDR system, even the very best ones will have errors like this and the filter effect you're seeing here is that it enhanced the contrast between the lighter and darker rendered areas of the sky. The problem is the rendering that was cooked into the original and the tree is the classic test example for HDR accuracy and refinement. It may not be a huge difference in the original, but the data is there and the filter amplifies it. The end result is that if this issue is cooked into the original, it makes processing latitude, whether using simple filters, or using professional processing software, extremely limited, if not time consuming.

You're trying to fake technical talk. I'm a photographer, I do this every single day for a living and part of the problem with dealing critically with smartphones and trying to get improvements is that there are people online who act like they designed the phone and are being personally attacked and then lie about what's going on to cover for the company. It's weird as hell where the phone is a tool in some countries, to some people, while in other countries, the phone is your social score. The HDR processing screwed up, BFD. No need to make up transparent lies and excuses and pretend everyone else knows as little as you.

Here is the original.i used a filter on snapseed.

2020-09-18_06-28-30 by Cam todd, on Flickr
18th September 2020, 10:13 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

Well yes, it seems that lying about the phone does happen. Maybe to stop people from buying pretty good phones that are serious competition to more expensive ones.

I opened the original in paint.net, grabbed the colour picker and ran my tool from left to right from the right side of the tree to the right side of the image, then right to left from the left side of the tree to the left side of the image... there is barely any change in the RGB values. The sky is pretty consistent horizontally at least until you get to the far left where there are clouds affecting it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)