FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Amazon Fire 5th Gen [SuperTool] Root, Google play install, block ota updates and more

2,736 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,224

Post Reply Email Thread
9th September 2017, 04:17 PM |#1711  
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Earlier this week, there was an Amazon offer I couldn't deny: a refurbished gen5 Fire7 for less than 30€ (special offer that made me a Prime user for a month, and a 20% discount on top of that).
Knowing that there might be a nonzero risk of getting a 5.3.2.1 or higher, I decided that I could still hand it over to someone else as an inexpensive toy.
The black device (serial G0W0 H404 ...) came with 5.3.1.0 on it. Lucky me!

I went for the "long list" sketched in #1703 (Aug 31, thanks Davey), including deregistering the device, wiping cache and data in recovery.
To have better control over WiFi access (I got a much faster Internet connection since I did this last time, and was very worried about the update arriving faster than I could breathe in twice), I set up a pocket router that could be connected to, and easily disconnected from, LAN.

Still it took four attempts for KingRoot to succeed. There were reboots at the first two ones, a "root permission exception" message popping up during the third, and success after only 4 minutes during the fourth attempt - the first three attempts went up to 52%, 66%, and 68% before declaring failure.
This all was done with KingRoot 4.9.2 (the one in RJ's toolkit - I have learned that higher versions may become harder to uninstall) and Wifi disabled after the percentage counter reached 10% (a few seconds). I didn't need WiFi at all for the last two attempts.

While the KR wheel was spinning (for more than half an hour in total) I pondered why nobody seems to have found out yet whether it would be possible to fake the "cloud wisdom" KR is using, to provide a more stable set of possible vulnerabilities, and - perhaps more important - to be able to decouple the device from the 'net (with a local server just providing the "wisdom")...
The Following User Says Thank You to steve8x8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steve8x8 Ad-Free

9th September 2017, 05:37 PM |#1712  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,029

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve8x8

Earlier this week, there was an Amazon offer I couldn't deny: a refurbished gen5 Fire7 for less than 30€ (special offer that made me a Prime user for a month, and a 20% discount on top of that).
Knowing that there might be a nonzero risk of getting a 5.3.2.1 or higher, I decided that I could still hand it over to someone else as an inexpensive toy.
The black device (serial G0W0 H404 ...) came with 5.3.1.0 on it. Lucky me!

I went for the "long list" sketched in #1703 (Aug 31, thanks Davey), including deregistering the device, wiping cache and data in recovery.
To have better control over WiFi access (I got a much faster Internet connection since I did this last time, and was very worried about the update arriving faster than I could breathe in twice), I set up a pocket router that could be connected to, and easily disconnected from, LAN.

Still it took four attempts for KingRoot to succeed. There were reboots at the first two ones, a "root permission exception" message popping up during the third, and success after only 4 minutes during the fourth attempt - the first three attempts went up to 52%, 66%, and 68% before declaring failure.
This all was done with KingRoot 4.9.2 (the one in RJ's toolkit - I have learned that higher versions may become harder to uninstall) and Wifi disabled after the percentage counter reached 10% (a few seconds). I didn't need WiFi at all for the last two attempts.

While the KR wheel was spinning (for more than half an hour in total) I pondered why nobody seems to have found out yet whether it would be possible to fake the "cloud wisdom" KR is using, to provide a more stable set of possible vulnerabilities, and - perhaps more important - to be able to decouple the device from the 'net (with a local server just providing the "wisdom")...

Excellent report - thanks for detailing your experiences. KingRoot does offer a desktop version (Chinese UI; Windows only) that supports off-line rooting via USB tether. Some say it works better/faster; others not. My personal take is the hit-or-miss success rate is directly attributable to an unstructured vulnerability assessment/test algorithm. Akin to asking a 5 year old to sort a large group of objects in the least number of moves. Obviously a simple math problem but most kids that age aren't equiped with the skills to evaluate and solve the problem short of trial 'n error. Yeah, KingRoot at its finest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Davey126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Davey126 Ad-Free
12th September 2017, 10:09 AM |#1713  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsgt

NOTE Download the File without the dashes - - - - - - between words its the new version
LInk to Supertool HERE

The download doesn't seem to work, it always stops with an error at 99%... Another link? Or anyone willing to share it.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veon11

The download doesn't seem to work, it always stops with an error at 99%... Another link? Or anyone willing to share it.

Thanks!

Nope, it worked after a while! Sorry!
20th September 2017, 04:49 PM |#1714  

More
Has anyone ever tried to backup an existing Stock ROM setup using FlashFire, and possibly restore it?
This might avoid the long and crooked path via reinstall-root-customize, should something unforeseen happen that makes the system misbehave (of course, only to the point that FF could still be started), or to return to a previous ROM from a custom one...
21st September 2017, 04:39 AM |#1715  
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve8x8

Has anyone ever tried to backup an existing Stock ROM setup using FlashFire, and possibly restore it?
This might avoid the long and crooked path via reinstall-root-customize, should something unforeseen happen that makes the system misbehave (of course, only to the point that FF could still be started), or to return to a previous ROM from a custom one...

I haven't tried for awhile, but earlier versions of FlashFire didn't support FireOS installation

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
23rd September 2017, 03:23 AM |#1716  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have already the aosp 5.1.1 rom on my fire tablet, but i cant get root access. Either with the supertool (error while uploading Files in the fastboot mode) or with kingroot or kingoroot. What elso can i do?
23rd September 2017, 05:26 AM |#1717  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,029

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinalco33

I have already the aosp 5.1.1 rom on my fire tablet, but i cant get root access. Either with the supertool (error while uploading Files in the fastboot mode) or with kingroot or kingoroot. What elso can i do?

Assume you are referencing Fire Nexus which comes pre-rooted. However, you may have messed that up trying to run KingRoot. Install SuperSU from the Play Store and reboot. If that doesn't yield root then you will likely need to reload FireOS (same version you had before) and start over.
1st October 2017, 06:00 AM |#1718  
Fire tab 5th gen
Has anyone successfully rooted this device or been able to downgrade from fire os 5.4.0.1? Did not see anything mentioned past 5.3 versions. Thanks in advance for any input
1st October 2017, 06:54 AM |#1719  
Flag Kittery, Maine
Thanks Meter: 336

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc300

Has anyone successfully rooted this device or been able to downgrade from fire os 5.4.0.1? Did not see anything mentioned past 5.3 versions. Thanks in advance for any input

There are several threads in this forum discussing the matter that doesn't require a search. Just need to look at the most recent ones in the first two sections. There is no root for 5.4.0.0 or 5.4.0.1. if you have a Fire 7, 7th Gen, you can downgrade from 5.4.0.1 back to 5.4.0.0 which means you can also downgrade from 5.4.0.0 to 5.3.2.1, but none lower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free
3rd November 2017, 05:32 PM |#1720  
Flag Bellevue
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I am on 5.3.1.0

What will the Super Tool alow me to do?

Thank you in advance for your help..
4th November 2017, 01:56 PM |#1721  

More
Provided you have turned off your WiFi, and deregistered the tablet from Amazon, the SuperTool can help you root the device, install Google infrastructure, and disable ads. There's a batch script coming with the ST, it won't harm to study it
Keeping WiFi off, and under strict control for the rooting process, is crucial, otherwise you'll end up with 5.4.0.1 from where there's no known way back.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)