All new backend from V2 with the V2 backend as a backup to increase reliability. Also avoids opening the app switcher for an all round better experience.
IMPORTANT: Remember to enable Accessibility Service through "Settings -> Accessibility -> To detect home button press" or nothing is going to happen.
I have only tested this on one device so who knows how it will work on different versions of the OS. Please let me know how it goes for you.
Find the latest release here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/releases)
If you want to look at my rushed and sloppy code then feel free to look here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack)
Finally please send any issues here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/issues)
If somebody with some artistic talent wants to make a logo that would be much appreciated as the little android guy looks out of place in my app drawer.
It appears some people are having issues getting the tweak to work so here are some general troubleshooting tips.
- Ensure you are using an amazon device running fire os, compatible with all versions as of release (5.4 = latest)
- Ensure home button detection is enabled: "Settings -> Accessibility -> To detect home button press"
- Ensure you can open your launcher directly i.e. Using any launcher, other than your chosen launcher, and open you chosen launcher like any other app, this should open your chosen launcher. CAVIAT: This does NOT work for the google now launcher and any launcher that requires default; When opening a launcher like this you will be redirected to the fire os system settings so that you can set your default launcher which is not possible, hence why this app was created
- Ensure you have selected your chosen launcher in Launcher Hijack
- Reboot your phone/tablet after following all previous steps
- After clicking home initially wait 10 seconds and press home again. This happens when your chosen launchers process gets killed in the background and may happen from time to time, especially after a reboot. There are plenty of existing apps that already keep a chosen application in memory so try one of those if this is a reoccurring issue for you.
- If all else fails try using one of the following launchers with known compatibility: Nova Launcher, Evie, Arrow Launcher
For Google Now & Widgets
- Ensure Launcher Hijack works with another launcher
- Install the Google Search App (Available Here)
- Some devices also require Google home so probably best to install that too (Available Here);
- Obviously install the Google Now launcher (Available Here)
- Open launcher hijack and select "Google", if you have to uncheck "Launchers only" something has gone wrong, so give another reboot a go and ensure you have the prerequisites listed above installed.
- Google now should open when pressing home, if it still doesn't work uninstall all prerequisites and the launcher itself, reboot and try follow the guide again. I had to do a reinstall once to get it working however I have had reports of people reinstalling 4-5 times before finally getting it working.
Fixed links, sorted grammar
Version 2.1 released, improves speed and reliability of the application so should be a good update for all. Thanks to ParrotGeek once again for the tip on how to improve it.
Sick of people complaining about the same issues so I added some troubleshooting steps and specific instructions for google now.
Version 3 released
Old blurb, removed:
This uses the same exploit as Launcher Hijack V1, by parrotgeek1, but allows you to select any launcher of your choice. If I find time I intend to implement further features but for now that's all you get :P