FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New: Any Launcher, No Root (Launcher Hijack V3)

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 53

By BaronKiko, XDA Ad-Free Member on 22nd February 2017, 12:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
New release, V3
All new backend from V2 with the V2 backend as a backup to increase reliability. Also avoids opening the app switcher for an all round better experience.
IMPORTANT: Remember to enable Accessibility Service through "Settings -> Accessibility -> To detect home button press" or nothing is going to happen.
I have only tested this on one device so who knows how it will work on different versions of the OS. Please let me know how it goes for you.

Find the latest release here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/releases)
If you want to look at my rushed and sloppy code then feel free to look here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack)
Finally please send any issues here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/issues)

If somebody with some artistic talent wants to make a logo that would be much appreciated as the little android guy looks out of place in my app drawer.

Troubleshooting
It appears some people are having issues getting the tweak to work so here are some general troubleshooting tips.
  • Ensure you are using an amazon device running fire os, compatible with all versions as of release (5.4 = latest)
  • Ensure home button detection is enabled: "Settings -> Accessibility -> To detect home button press"
  • Ensure you can open your launcher directly i.e. Using any launcher, other than your chosen launcher, and open you chosen launcher like any other app, this should open your chosen launcher. CAVIAT: This does NOT work for the google now launcher and any launcher that requires default; When opening a launcher like this you will be redirected to the fire os system settings so that you can set your default launcher which is not possible, hence why this app was created
  • Ensure you have selected your chosen launcher in Launcher Hijack
  • Reboot your phone/tablet after following all previous steps
  • After clicking home initially wait 10 seconds and press home again. This happens when your chosen launchers process gets killed in the background and may happen from time to time, especially after a reboot. There are plenty of existing apps that already keep a chosen application in memory so try one of those if this is a reoccurring issue for you.
  • If all else fails try using one of the following launchers with known compatibility: Nova Launcher, Evie, Arrow Launcher

For Google Now & Widgets
  1. Ensure Launcher Hijack works with another launcher
  2. Install the Google Search App (Available Here)
  3. Some devices also require Google home so probably best to install that too (Available Here);
  4. Obviously install the Google Now launcher (Available Here)
  5. REBOOT,
  6. Open launcher hijack and select "Google", if you have to uncheck "Launchers only" something has gone wrong, so give another reboot a go and ensure you have the prerequisites listed above installed.
  7. Google now should open when pressing home, if it still doesn't work uninstall all prerequisites and the launcher itself, reboot and try follow the guide again. I had to do a reinstall once to get it working however I have had reports of people reinstalling 4-5 times before finally getting it working.

[Edit 24/02/17]
Fixed links, sorted grammar

[Update 21/03/17]
Version 2.1 released, improves speed and reliability of the application so should be a good update for all. Thanks to ParrotGeek once again for the tip on how to improve it.

[Edit 11/07/17]
Sick of people complaining about the same issues so I added some troubleshooting steps and specific instructions for google now.

[Update 27/07/17]
Version 3 released
Old blurb, removed:
I'm here to announce my latest project, Launcher Hijack V2.
This uses the same exploit as Launcher Hijack V1, by parrotgeek1, but allows you to select any launcher of your choice. If I find time I intend to implement further features but for now that's all you get :P
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to BaronKiko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BaronKiko Ad-Free

22nd February 2017, 02:57 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Nice! I know choosing the launcher was a feature a lot of people wanted, so they'll be happy to see this.

To make things a bit easier, I'll put your URLs here, since I'm past the restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronKiko

Find the latest release here: https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijackV2/releases
If you want to look at my rushed and sloppy code then feel free to look here: https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijackV2
Finally please send any issues here: https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijackV2/issues

Sent from my Amazon Fire using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to PorygonZRocks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PorygonZRocks Ad-Free
22nd February 2017, 03:31 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorygonZRocks

Nice! I know choosing the launcher was a feature a lot of people wanted, so they'll be happy to see this.

To make things a bit easier, I'll put your URLs here, since I'm past the restriction.

Cheers, I'm hoping a nice mod will come along to sort the links out and move it to the right place but it's better for now.
22nd February 2017, 04:47 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronKiko

Sorry for the plain text links but you can't post links until you have 10 posts, nor can you post in development or use DevDB so while this is the worst place to post it it is also the only place I am allowed.

This exactly the correct place for this, with your current status.
When this thread sees some activity,
use the report post button, and ask if this thread can be moved to Development.
You need 50 posts before you can create threads in a Development section.

Sent from my XT1096 using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
22nd February 2017, 07:11 PM |#5  
Forum Moderator
Flag The Midlands
Thanks Meter: 3,589

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

This exactly the correct place for this, with your current status.
When this thread sees some activity,
use the report post button, and ask if this thread can be moved to Development.
You need 50 posts before you can create threads in a Development section.

Sent from my XT1096 using XDA Labs

Indeed - happy to move if and when appropriate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LenAsh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LenAsh Ad-Free
24th February 2017, 09:47 PM |#6  
Flag Upstate South Carolina
Thanks Meter: 300

More
This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you!
24th February 2017, 11:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
This is very nice. Thanks. I notice that about half the time when I press the home button from an app, I am taken to the recent apps screen instead of the home screen. Sometimes it takes multiple presses to get to the home screen. Just a side effect or is it a bug? Thanks.
25th February 2017, 04:49 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3kf

This is very nice. Thanks. I notice that about half the time when I press the home button from an app, I am taken to the recent apps screen instead of the home screen. Sometimes it takes multiple presses to get to the home screen. Just a side effect or is it a bug? Thanks.

It's probably a side effect.

26th February 2017, 01:06 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3kf

I would call it a bug, it was present in the first version and as somebody in that thread mentioned turning animations off seems to make it more reliable but still not 100% (it works 9 times out of 10 for me with no animations). I could potentially make it more reliable by waiting longer before calling the launcher of choice but it would slow down every button press so I would rather not do so.
27th February 2017, 10:10 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thanks a lot man. It works on Fire 8 HD 2016
28th February 2017, 02:46 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
It's awesome to see V2 coming up! Just hope the 'recent' bug can be ironed out soon. Or is it possible to avoid that bug if rooted?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)