FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

NO ROOT REQUIRED: Use widgets in your preferred launcher

3,631 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,342

Post Reply Email Thread
This may not work on a Fire HD 7, but I like to share.

Enable Widgets:

Reference: /system/bin/appwidget
Code:
# Script to start "appwidget" on the device, which has a very rudimentary shell.
base=/system
export CLASSPATH=$base/framework/appwidget.jar
exec app_process $base/bin com.android.commands.appwidget.AppWidget "[email protected]"
1. Use a file manager like Total Commander and navigate to /system/bin/
2. Locate appwidget and copy it to clipboard.
3. Paste the file to your PC desktop and open it with a text editor. I use Notepad+++. You do NOT need to make any edits.
4. Click file, save as. Change the filename to appwidget.sh and save it as a Unix file type. (If using regular Notepad, save it as the ALL FILES file type)
5. Copy appwidget.sh and place it into internal storage of your fire (/sdcard).
6. Open ADB, get into a shell and type:
Code:
[email protected]:/ $ sh /sdcard/appwidget.sh
7. Exit the shell and come back to ADB and type:
Code:
adb shell appwidget grantbind --package <PACKAGE.name.of.your.launcher> --user <USER_ID>
(USER_ID = 0)

If above doesn't work:
Code:
adb shell appwidget grantbind --package <PACKAGE.name.of.your.launcher> --user current
Now add your favorite widgets through your favorite launcher
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free

17th July 2017, 02:17 AM |#2  
Flag Southwest Harbor
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFire1024

Enable Widgets:

Code:
# Script to start "appwidget" on the device, which has a very rudimentary shell.
base=/system
exec app_process $base/bin com.android.commands.appwidget.AppWidget "[email protected]"
3. Paste the file to your PC desktop and open it with a text editor. I use Notepad+++. You do NOT need to make any edits.
4. Click file, save as. Change the filename to appwidget.sh and save it as a Unix file type. (If using regular Notepad, save it as the ALL FILES file type)
5. Open ADB
6:
Code:
adb shell appwidget grantbind --package <PACKAGE.name.of.your.launcher> --user <USER_ID>
(USER_ID = 0)

Or, if above doesn't work:
Code:
adb shell appwidget grantbind --package <PACKAGE.name.of.your.launcher> --user current

How do you switch to that launcher????? Do you use launcher hijack
17th July 2017, 02:20 AM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvytechwinner

How do you switch to that launcher????? Do you use launcher hijack

I am using Evie. Install it, then uninstall firelauncher or other launcher. Reboot. Then follow initial post steps. I don't see a difference with or without launcher hijack, when firelauncher is uninstalled.

I found this script in /system/bin. Wish I could find one for live wallpapers.
17th July 2017, 03:19 AM |#4  
Flag Southwest Harbor

More
Quote:

I am using Evie. Install it, then uninstall firelauncher or other launcher. Reboot. Then follow initial post steps. I don't see a difference with or without launcher hijack, when firelauncher is uninstalled.

I found this script in /system/bin. Wish I could find one for live wallpapers.

But...
the home button doesn't work when you uninstall fire launcher
or whisper link
I am NOT kiding about that either
17th July 2017, 03:24 AM |#5  
Quote:

But...
the home button doesn't work when you uninstall fire launcher
or whisper link
I am NOT kiding about that either

Correct...for now anyways. Maybe someone can extract the settings from launcher so they stay and launcher goes. Or find a way to just uninstall the actual launcher only.
The Following User Says Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free
17th July 2017, 03:30 AM |#6  
Flag Southwest Harbor

More
Quote:

Correct...for now anyways. Maybe someone can extract the settings from launcher so they stay and launcher goes. Or find a way to just uninstall the actual launcher only.

Ok...
Uninstalling
"com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe" WILL screw up your home button too
There is a wierd side affect where when you install firelauncher or the apk i mentioned above when you click the home button it locks your screen.
17th July 2017, 11:45 AM |#7  
I went back to Nova for now. Be advised if you want to switch launchers, you have to run the script again to enable widgets.
17th July 2017, 05:16 PM |#8  
Flag Southwest Harbor

More
Quote:

I went back to Nova for now. Be advised if you want to switch launchers, you have to run the script again to enable widgets.

When Fire Laucnher is uninstalled the home button doesn't work and when you press it, the screen turns off and it goes back to the lockscreen. How do you manage this?
17th July 2017, 06:10 PM |#9  
Quote:

When Fire Laucnher is uninstalled the home button doesn't work and when you press it, the screen turns off and it goes back to the lockscreen. How do you manage this?

I haven't yet. The lock screen is embedded in /system/framework/framework-res.apk in the form of PNG and icons layered over one another. The reason for the lock screen is because there are dummy screens in front of and behind the enter screens. Those dummies block the wallpapers and what not and send us to the lock screen. Unless someone really really good at modifying APKs comes along, We might be stuck with that annoyance.
17th July 2017, 06:58 PM |#10  
Just downloaded 'Google Wallpapers.' All of the included wallpapers work...except the stock live ones lmao.
17th July 2017, 08:50 PM |#11  
Flag Southwest Harbor

More
Quote:

Enable Widgets:

Code:
base=/system
5. Copy appwidget.sh and place it into internal storage of your fire (/sdcard)
6. Open ADB and type the script below.

Code:
(USER_ID = 0)

If above doesn't work:
Code:

WTF I did this and it still goes to settings I did exactly what it said >
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)