FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Unbrick/Restore Amazon Fire (7in 2015 5th Gen) using Stock Recovery's ADB Sideload

12,923 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,527
 
By sd_shadow, Recognized Contributor on 4th January 2016, 12:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
for Fire 7in 2015 5th Gen Only ( KFFOWI/Ford)

Downgrading Options
  • 5.3.2.1 cannot be rooted, nor downgraded -28 Dec 2016
  • 5.3.2 can not be rooted, but can be downgraded to 5.3.1.0 - 28 Dec 2016
  • 5.3.1.0 cannot be downgraded, trying will brick - 19 Jul 2016
  • System version 5.1.4, 5.1.3 & 5.1.2.1 can be downgraded to 5.1.2 - 5 June 2016
  • System version 5.1.4, 5.1.3, 5.1.2.1, and 5.1.2 cannot be downgraded to 5.1.1 or lower
  • System Version 5.1.X cannot be downgraded to 5.0.X

Download Firmware
Note:This Can be done with PC/Mac/Linux but I'm just including PC instructions for now.

Watch


Mac

How to Downgrade the Firmware on the Amazon Fire 5th gen from 5.3.2 to 5.3.1 using Mac OS
https://youtu.be/iv0VcNM8IAw



PC Steps
  1. Install ADB Drivers and verify they are installed correctly
  2. Setup ADB
  3. Download the Amazon Fire Firmware and place it with your ADB.exe files
  4. Verify that Firmware file is correct version, size, and best to check the MD5 or SHA-1 checksum
  5. Boot into recovery: Hold Volume Down button & Power button at the same time (If it boots to Fastboot mode, use the other Volume button)
  6. Connect to PC via usb cable
  7. Select Sideload in recovery
  8. Recheck Device Manager (PC)
  9. Send adb code (change to filename of firmware)
    Code:
    adb sideload filename
  10. Its going take 5- 10 minutes so be patient
  11. Once the recovery options come back up, wipe data and cache.
  12. Select Reboot
  13. Reboot is going to take few minutes BE PATIENT!!
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
 
 
4th January 2016, 12:45 AM |#2  
Troubleshooting
Device may not connect to PC until you select apply update from ADB,
check device manager, Fire should be listed ADB sideload or adb composite interface, when in recovery mode
If device is in adb sideload mode
Code:
adb devices
should return
Code:
A000XXXXXXXXXXX.........sideload
if not drivers are not correct

Manually Fix Drivers
Open device manager Settings>Devices>Device Manager
(If Kindle is not listed as Android>Android Composite ADB interface)
select Other Devices>Fire
Right Click>Update Driver Software
Browse my computer for Driver Software
Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer
select Android or Android Phone (or ADB Interface or Android Device)
Select Android Composite ADB interface
or Android Composite ADB interface
next
you may have to reboot pc

Error
cannot read 'adb sideload update-kindle-37.5.2.2_user_522054520.bin'
Make sure Firmware.bin file is in same location, that is listed in command prompt
(ex: C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
6th January 2016, 07:31 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
how can i get to recovery mode on 5.1.1 ?? i cannot see recovery mode when i hold power and volume up button it just says amazon and reboots again.
6th January 2016, 07:44 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcar22

how can i get to recovery mode on 5.1.1 ?? i cannot see recovery mode when i hold power and volume up button it just says amazon and reboots again.

That has been an issue with 5.1.1 after trying to flash a Rom with FlashFire.
Is rom booting?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
6th January 2016, 07:56 PM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

That has been an issue with 5.1.1 after trying to flash a Rom with FlashFire.
Is rom booting?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

nope got stuck in cyanogen icon mode. thats why ia m trying to recover to factory flash
The Following User Says Thank You to fastcar22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fastcar22 Ad-Free
6th January 2016, 09:50 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcar22

nope got stuck in cyanogen icon mode. thats why ia m trying to recover to factory flash

could try wiping cache and or data in fastboot mode
not sure that is even possible, but worth trying
need to setup adb/fastboot then
fastboot wipe cache command

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
6th January 2016, 10:21 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

could try wiping cache and or data in fastboot mode
not sure that is even possible, but worth trying
need to setup adb/fastboot then
fastboot wipe cache command

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Can you give me the fastboot commands? i can get to fastbootcommand prompt to do this?
i even tried the "fastboot install filename.zip" it says it could not find the android-info.txt in the zip file.
Thanks
6th January 2016, 10:24 PM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcar22

Can you give me the fastboot commands? i can get to fastbootcommand prompt to do this?
i even tried the "fastboot install filename.zip" it says it could not find the android-info.txt in the zip file.
Thanks

Code:
 fastboot erase data

fastboot erase cache
Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
6th January 2016, 10:36 PM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

Code:
 fastboot erase data

fastboot erase cache
Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

it does not recognize data in the command i get this message
erasing 'data'...
FAILED (remote: unknown command)
finished. total time: 0.000s
6th January 2016, 10:39 PM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcar22

it does not recognize data in the command i get this message
erasing 'data'...
FAILED (remote: unknown command)
finished. total time: 0.000s

i was afraid of that, I do not have any ideas how to fix.
could try flashing stock boot.img, then return to Amazon

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
2015, fire, ford, kffowi, sd_shadow

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes