FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Help Thread][Amazon Fire] 7" - 5th Gen 2015 ONLY! Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

13,694 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,965

By sd_shadow, Recognized Contributor on 19th September 2015, 06:07 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
Specific to

Amazon Fire (7')
5th Gen | 2015

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
List of supporters

@sd_shadow
@shimp208
To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free

19th September 2015, 06:07 AM |#2  
Frequently Asked Questions
Amazon fire

This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems.

Q1: Which Amazon (Kindle) Fire Do I have?
Fire Index: Which Amazon (Kindle) Fire Do I have?
Q2: Can the Amazon Fire 5th Gen be rooted?

Yes, System version 5.3.1 can be rooted but not downgraded, trying will brick it. - 28 Nov 2016
system versions 5.1.4, 5.1.3, & 5.1.2.1 cannot be rooted, but can be downgraded to 5.1.2, see Q14
Yes, system versions 5.1.2, 5.1.1, & 5.0.X can be rooted with Kingoroot
Kingroot thread KingRoot thread or RootJunky SuperTool
then see rootjunky's supersume video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3DcpeS_Ic
or manually install supersu with a terminal emulator
http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2015/05/How...h-SuperSU.html
Yes, system versions 5.0.0-5.1.1 can be rooted see Device Tools, Root/Un-root/Un-brick methods
Q3: Can The bootloader be Unlocked?
No the Bootloader cannot be Unlocked. - 06 Oct 2015
Q4: Can Custom Roms be Installed?
Yes, see Custom Roms
Q5: Can Custom recovery be Installed?
No, currently Custom Recoveries can only be booted temporally using Fastboot.exe see Device Tools, Root/Un-root/Un-brick methods -22 Nov 2015
Q6: Can Google apps be Installed?
Yes, see Installing Google Framework/Playstore without Root
Q7: How can I block updates and Replace the Fire (Stock) Launcher?
A few different options
Q8: How do I Unroot?
Unrooting is can be done from the supersu app that is installed in the rooting process, but unrooting is different than returning to full stock.
Q9: How do I Restore Stock Firmware?
To restore full stock see Device Tools, Root/Un-root/Un-brick methods
Q10: How do I use adb/fastboot?
Setting up adb/fastboot
Q11: Play Store app is showing up as "Play Store | Work"?
I think every one with that issue, has a grandfathered free Google Apps Account
If that is the case, there is no fix, but should work fine
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=27
Q12: Is there a way to set up all your downloads to go to your micro SD card and not your internal storage?
install ES File Explorer>open ES>settings>Directory settings>Download path/backup arrow (on popup)> /storage/sdcard1>OK
when downloading select ES Download manager (you will get a popup)
Note: requires root and sd card read/write access
ES is no longer a good app, use a different download manager - 10 Sept 2017
Q13: Why can't I change files on the SD Card?
The External SD Card is Write protected by default in stock rom. To change to Read/Write try Enable R/W for SD Card SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD App (Requires Root)
Q14: Cannot boot to stock recovery using button combination
Use Fastboot.exe command
Code:
fastboot.exe oem reboot-recovery
See Fire Index: Which Amazon (Kindle) Fire Do I have? for setting up Fastboot.exe
or use Super tools reboot recovery option
Q15: Can Firmware be Downgraded?
Yes, in some cases
Downgrading Options
  • System version 5.1.4, 5.1.3 & 5.1.2.1 can be downgraded to 5.1.2 - 6 June 2015
  • System version 5.1.4, 5.1.3, 5.1.2.1, and 5.1.2 cannot be downgraded to 5.1.1 or lower, trying will brick the Fire
  • System Version 5.1.X cannot be downgraded to 5.0.X. trying will brick the Fire
    see Device Tools, Root/Un-root/Un-brick methods

Q16: Are there any Android 6+ (CM13) custom roms?
No, the locked bootloader prevents newer android versions from booting. - 20 Aug 2016

Q17: Will stock rom be updated to Android 6+?
Probably yes, but still unknown, if it is I likely will be late 2016 or later

Q18: Is there a scatter file for the 2015 Fire?
See
http://forum.xda-developers.com/amaz...ideas-t3289721
and
http://forum.xda-developers.com/amaz...grade-t3388747

Q18: Error: Service Installation Section in this INF is invalid in Windows(MTP,USB storage driver)
See video
http://youtu.be/8XxEByzD1oY]

A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
20th September 2015, 06:32 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 2,872

Donate to Me
More
@sd_shadow Feel free to add me to the supporters in this thread list, just ordered mine and ready to help the cause!
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shimp208 Ad-Free
20th September 2015, 06:37 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208

@sd_shadow Feel free to add me to the supporters in this thread list, just ordered mine and ready to help the cause!

Done.
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
20th September 2015, 10:05 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
What are the odds that we'll see rotting/boot loader unlock/custom roms for this?
20th September 2015, 10:08 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydish

What are the odds that we'll see rotting/boot loader unlock/custom roms for this?

Just a guess.
80% chance of root
30% chance of unlocking bootloader.
25th September 2015, 04:10 PM |#8  
Flag Rockford, Illinois
Thanks Meter: 10

More
from what I've seen over the years, the more popular the device is - the more likely we'll see it customized. I plan on getting one because I think the market will be flooded which should mean that there will be a lot of developers playing around with it
28th September 2015, 10:19 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello guys, just a quick question here. Would you recommend me buying the new 50 usd Fire? I've been looking for a budget tablet and this one seems like a really good deal
28th September 2015, 10:54 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by carledudo

Hello guys, just a quick question here. Would you recommend me buying the new 50 usd Fire? I've been looking for a budget tablet and this one seems like a really good deal

In 2 days we will know more.
Depends on what you want from a Tablet, but you likely will not find a better tablet for the price.
28th September 2015, 11:04 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

In 2 days we will know more.
Depends on what you want from a Tablet, but you likely will not find a better tablet for the price.

I mainly want it for social media like twitter and tumblr, and as an eBook reader, so I hope it will get the job done
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
amazon fire, ask any question, help thread, noob friendly, sd_shadow

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)