[KERNEL][MODULES][CM12.1/Fire Nexus/Lineage12.1] CPU Governors + more [12 Feb 2017]

Search This thread

Marsu42

Jul 13, 2008
Sadly, no. It has been a very long time since Amazon has released any source code as required by the GPL.

Has a complaint been given to Amazon or some 3rd party like the fsf - or has this been discussed on some mailing list where gpl pople are involved?

If you know what Amazon used to do, and now has stopped doing even thought they are under gpl obligation, it would be nice if you would write a short mail to license-violation@gnu.org

https://www.fsf.org/licensing/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a collection of add-on modules for the stock November 2016 boot image kernel, as found in the latest versions of the CM 12.1 and Fire Nexus roms by @ggow. This started as a personal project to see if I could compile a working kernel module for the PegasusQ CPU governor.

There are now ROM-specific packages depending on whether you are using CM 12.1 or Fire Nexus. So before downloading, check which ROM version and build date you are using to make sure you grab the right package.

Package for ROMs Based on 5.3.2.0 Boot Image
    If you are using any of the following CM 12.1 builds:
    -2016-11-21
    -2016-11-22

OR any of the following Fire Nexus builds:
    -24 November 2016
    -02 February 2017

Then you need the package for 5.3.2.0 boot image. <--(Link updated as of 6 Feb 2017)

Package for ROMs Based on 5.1.4 Boot Image
    If you are using any of the following CM 12.1 builds:
    -2016-06-14
    -2016-07-10
    -2016-08-10
    -2016-09-22
    -2016-10-21

OR any of the following Fire Nexus builds:
    -15 June 2016
    -28 July 2016
    -12 August 2016
    -08 February 2017 (or later)

OR any build of Lineage-12.1
    Then you need the package for 5.1.4 boot image. <--(Link updated as of 12 Feb 2017)

Instructions:
    1. Download the correct package for your ROM
    2. Flash in TWRP or FlashFire. (Can be "dirty" flashed; no need to wipe anything)
    3. Use Kernel Adiutor or your favorite kernel tuner to set your desired parameters.

Notes:
    1. If something goes wrong, or if you flash the wrong package and end up with a bootloop, flash this REMOVER zip to disable the script that loads the modules. The REMOVER zip should work on any ROM. I recommend downloading it and copying it to your SD card at the same time you flash the main package so that it's already on the device in the event you need to use it.
    2. The hotplug drivers may need some experimentation to get right. Alucard seems to work pretty well out of the box, but is pretty aggressive. It may cause a lot of lag on games. Thunderplug may have an issue. In my brief test, it seemed to peg one of the cores at 100% continually, but YMMV.
    3. If you find a combination of settings that work well for any of these modules, please let me know so I can consider changing the default tunables.

(Side note: I'm not a developer by any stretch and just did this as a self-challenge. If there are any other specific modules such as governors, hotplug drivers, or schedulers you'd like me to try, let me know. No promises, but we'll see what happens!)

Credits:
    • ByungChang Cha (for the PegasusQ governor)
    • @osm0sis (for the AnyKernel2 installer)
    I've tried several time and I can't get the Zen IO or the ZRAM to take. Kernel Adiutor crashes most of the time, but even when it doesn't I reboot and the settings go back to cfq. Any ideas?

I confirm the bug... I applied my settings this morning... I've just restarted my Fire, and ZRAM, Scheduler and LMK settings are now resetted to default... Seems to be a small problem when trying to set ZEN as Scheduler... Weird...

EDIT: Retried the same settings, but with BFQ Scheduler instead of ZEN, not any setting is resetted : LMK, ZRAM and Scheduler still saved after reboot... SO, ZEN is the problem ;) !!!

EDIT2: BFQ seems to works as good as ZEN, so, I will keep BFQ for now ;) !!!

So, my final settings : PegasusQ Governor + Light LMK Preset + ZRAM 512MB + TripNDroid Scheduler still active after each reboot, seems to be unbeatable :D !!! For non Kernel Adiutor users : LMK preset is : 17,26,34,43,52,60
    Sorry guys, Dropbox turned off the "Public" folder for sharing purposes. OP has been updated with working links. Also sorry I haven't updated the packages in a while. Things have been busy lately.
    There's a remover script in the OP. If you screwed up and flashed the wrong file or flashed it over an incompatible ROM, just flash the remover zip and you'll be fine.

Next releases will have a check in the installer so it won't install unless it's the right package. Until then, if you want to test to make sure it's the right one, download the zip, unzip it, take the alucard_hotplug.ko module from the modules folder, copy it to your device, then from terminal or adb shell, do 'su; insmod alucard_hotplug.ko'

If you don't get errors, it's the right package. If you get an instant reboot, it's not the right package.
    Change log

12 February 2017
    -Built and started maintaining separate packages, one for Fire Nexus 2/8/17 build and newer, and the other for last CM 12.1 and Fire Nexus pre-2/8/17.

06 February 2017
    -Added a bunch of TCP congestion control algorithms (Highspeed, Illinois, Vegas, Yeah, HTCP, LP, Veno, Hybla, Scalable, Westwood)

04 February 2017
    -Added Smartmax CPU governor
    -Added ThunderX CPU governor
    -Added Alucard hotplug driver
    -Added Thunderplug hotplug driver
    -Added BFQ I/O scheduler
    -Added TripNDroid I/O scheduler
    -Added ZEN I/O scheduler

02 February 2017
    Initial release