FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[root][confirmed][5.1.1]

80 posts
Thanks Meter: 146

By k4y0z, Member on 16th December 2015, 03:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
CONFIRMED
I've looked a bit arround how we could achieve root on the fire without TWRP.
I don't have 5.1.1 installed, but I'm hoping the following is still possible.
(I tested it on a brand-new fire, that never came in touch with TWRP or a custom rom)
If someone could test this please:

Confirmed, working:
- Enable ADB-Debugging in Developer Settings, then:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot oem append-cmdline "androidboot.unlocked_kernel=true"
fastboot continue
adb wait-for-device && adb shell
You should now hopefully have a shell with root-priviledges:
Code:
root@ford:/ #
Please test and report back.

To Flash SuperSU and make root persistent (thx @pappasmurfsharem):
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=42700

If you are still inside "adb shell" from the last command above type "exit" first.
Or just skip the "adb shell" command above.

Code:
adb remount
adb push files\libsupol.so /data/local/tmp/
adb push files\root_fire.sh /data/local/tmp/
adb push files\su /data/local/tmp/
adb push files\Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/
adb push files\supolicy /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/root_fire.sh
adb shell /data/local/tmp/root_fire.sh
# This Part reopened fastboot and I just re-ran the cmds from the first post in this thread #

fastboot oem append-cmdline "androidboot.unlocked_kernel=true"
fastboot continue

adb wait-for-device && adb remount
adb shell /system/xbin/su --install
adb reboot
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to k4y0z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k4y0z Ad-Free

16th December 2015, 05:43 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
It works, in fact I've used it to remove a couple of apks from Amazon on 5.1.1 but... I can't see firelauncher, for example.
16th December 2015, 06:26 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Huge thanks k4y0z!
I have another Fire due to arrive tomorrow, will definitely try it if I get 5.1.1.
Could you give the commands for restoring the old bootloader? Or would we use FlashFire? I presume there is a risk of hard brick. Flashing the bootloader would include the preloader & amazon recovery? I see there is a Boot & a Recovery partition.
16th December 2015, 07:00 PM |#4  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Confirmed. This works on 5.1.1
16th December 2015, 07:18 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks, it is working on my fire 5.1.1.

now just need to figure out how load TWRP on here
16th December 2015, 07:33 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I'll do it... I only have one, but I bought it for $30, so I don't mind helping here!
16th December 2015, 07:39 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococo42

It works, in fact I've used it to remove a couple of apks from Amazon on 5.1.1 but... I can't see firelauncher, for example.

Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry.sky

Huge thanks k4y0z!
I have another Fire due to arrive tomorrow, will definitely try it if I get 5.1.1.
Could you give the commands for restoring the old bootloader? Or would we use FlashFire? I presume there is a risk of hard brick. Flashing the bootloader would include the preloader & amazon recovery? I see there is a Boot & a Recovery partition.

I have never used FlashFire.
I believe it should be enough to flash the old fastboot, though I'm unsure about the preloader.
You are correct, the following could potentially WILL brick your Fire, do at your own risk!
Code:
adb push lk.bin /data/local/tmp/
adb push preloader_prod.img /data/local/tmp/
adb shell "dd if=/data/local/tmp/lk.bin of=/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/UBOOT"
adb shell "dd if=/data/local/tmp/preloader_prod.img of=/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmcblk0boot0"
adb reboot-bootloader

Now fastboot boot should hopefully work again.

Please test and report back!
Attached Files
File Type: zip lk.zip - [Click for QR Code] (223.4 KB, 366 views)
File Type: zip preloader_prod.zip - [Click for QR Code] (74.0 KB, 516 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k4y0z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k4y0z Ad-Free
16th December 2015, 07:50 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Total noob question, I know... I haven't used Android Studio before, but am definitely a computer guy... Very simply, can you show me how to just run a straight up terminal to type these commands without creating a new "app"...

I just have a lack of android coding experience, but if you tell me, I'll understand very quickly... :P
16th December 2015, 07:52 PM |#9  
Flag Washington, DC.
Thanks Meter: 226

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraney

Total noob question, I know... I haven't used Android Studio before, but am definitely a computer guy... Very simply, can you show me how to just run a straight up terminal to type these commands without creating a new "app"...

I just have a lack of android coding experience, but if you tell me, I'll understand very quickly... :P

You don't need android studio to do any of this. Do you have ADB and fastboot installed? If you need help PM me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry44 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Harry44 Ad-Free
16th December 2015, 07:54 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraney

You don't need Android Studio, you just need adb and fastboot, your best bet is to search this forum for these two.
The Following User Says Thank You to k4y0z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k4y0z Ad-Free
16th December 2015, 07:58 PM |#11  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Well this is exciting!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)