FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[App][5.1+][Alpha] AnyAutoAudio - Use any audio app in Auto

100 posts
Thanks Meter: 118

By jvvpc, Senior Member on 17th May 2017, 09:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

AnyAutoAudio
So I was tired of not being able to use the audio apps I normally use in Auto and decided to try and do something about it. This app is the result

How does it work?
By using the notification listener permission, the app is able to access the media session of any audio app that is running. This is then passed to Android Auto, which makes it possible to control as any normal Auto app. This also means that it is necessary to run the audio app(s) first before running Auto.

I have several ideas for future features, but would like some feedback first and get rid of bugs. Take it for a spin!

Howto:
- Setup AnyAutoAudio from the app
- Open and run music app(s)
- Run Android Auto from phone or dashboard

Latest progress update & ideas for the future:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...1&postcount=67

Download:
https://labs.xda-developers.com/stor...e.AnyAutoAudio

Install AnyAutoAudio directly from apk:

If downloading the APK directly you need to allow unknown sources in Auto,

- In the Android Auto app, tap the Hamburger menu.
- Tap About.
- Tap About Android Auto header 10 times, until a toast appears thar says "Developer mode enabled". Now you can access developer mode by selecting the overflow menu dots on the top right of the handheld screen.
- Select Developer settings from the overflow menu and check unknown sources.

Source: https://developer.android.com/traini...dex.html#phone

Release notes

- Startup tutorial
- new settings interface
- FAQ
- Feedback
- Analytics
- Pinned apps (browsing)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=108

- No more need for app list! Just run the music apps and open Auto.
- Issue with controls not responding should be fixed
- Lots of bug fixes

- Apps already with Auto implementation is filtered out
- Queue implementation
- If audio app is destroyed, just pause
- Smaller app size
- Error include audio app name

- System apps now allowed in app selection.
- Basic voice control implementation. So far only "play music" seems to work ("pause", "play" etc. fails on Google's side)

- First alpha release
- Basic control and metadata
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170516-122247.png
Views:	20750
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	4152454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170516-122256.png
Views:	20438
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	4152455  
Attached Files
File Type: apk 0.0.4-dk.jonske.AnyAutoAudio.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.33 MB, 35374 views)
The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to jvvpc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jvvpc Ad-Free
17th May 2017, 11:19 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 299

More
Hi,

Tested and working with "Google Play Books".

I suggest to try to support the FM Radio App.
Perhaps, you feel I'm fool but I like to check one DAB Radio App running in my phone... my car doesn't have DAB radio.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manos78 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift manos78 Ad-Free
17th May 2017, 02:20 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manos78

Hi,

Tested and working with "Google Play Books".

I suggest to try to support the FM Radio App.
Perhaps, you feel I'm fool but I like to check one DAB Radio App running in my phone... my car doesn't have DAB radio.

Great to hear it works!

Do you have a link for the app? It should work as long as the app is playing audio the standard way in android, so I'll have a look
The Following User Says Thank You to jvvpc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jvvpc Ad-Free
18th May 2017, 10:50 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvvpc

Do you have a link for the app? It should work as long as the app is playing audio the standard way in android, so I'll have a look

For the RADIO (FM) it's the stock FM App... Try it in your phone, it isn't detected in the list of Audio Apps.

Regarding the DAB App it's this:
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...m.ex.dabplayer

Please, continue improving this great App!
For example, your App can send button events to the controlled App? Back, Play/Stop, Next...
18th May 2017, 04:32 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This is the app:
http://androidstereo.mobile.eu.org/d...radio_78cc.apk
19th May 2017, 01:58 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

For the RADIO (FM) it's the stock FM App... Try it in your phone, it isn't detected in the list of Audio Apps.

Regarding the DAB App it's this:
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...m.ex.dabplayer

Please, continue improving this great App!
For example, your App can send button events to the controlled App? Back, Play/Stop, Next...

Ahh, the list is filtering out system apps. I will include them in the next update

There shouldn't be any problems with the DAB app. Have you tried it?

Yes, it will handle all button events like play, pause, next etc. I will look into if it can take special buttons some apps use
The Following User Says Thank You to jvvpc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jvvpc Ad-Free
19th May 2017, 06:14 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Jusrt tested with local files and vlc and this works well. Its a Great idea.. Ill be a really happy camper if u can get it to pull the audio from firefox and chrome.

Youtube/netflix/hulu etc could all be nice too. But the browsers obviously would be top priority cuz then u could do anything (live tv news etc etc) in my opinion.

Regardless..Great job and idea!
keep at it. I Will report back after more experience with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mac31284 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mac31284 Ad-Free
19th May 2017, 07:47 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

Ahh, the list is filtering out system apps. I will include them in the next update

Great! Waiting for it!

Quote:

There shouldn't be any problems with the DAB app. Have you tried it?

No. It's a wish for the future... if your tool works, then I'll purchase the dongle.

Quote:

Yes, it will handle all button events like play, pause, next etc. I will look into if it can take special buttons some apps use

It will be interesenting if you introduce some additional interaction with the audio app.
23rd May 2017, 08:23 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Version 0.0.2 is now released, with system apps included and basic voice control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac31284

Jusrt tested with local files and vlc and this works well. Its a Great idea.. Ill be a really happy camper if u can get it to pull the audio from firefox and chrome.

Youtube/netflix/hulu etc could all be nice too. But the browsers obviously would be top priority cuz then u could do anything (live tv news etc etc) in my opinion.

Regardless..Great job and idea!
keep at it. I Will report back after more experience with it.

As i have now included system apps Chrome works. Just tested it with a radio website The video apps wont run i the background so we cant use Android Auto at the same time, this is a Android limitation. I have read reports that some find it possible to open Youtube in Firefox though?

Quote:

Great! Waiting for it!

No. It's a wish for the future... if your tool works, then I'll purchase the dongle.

It will be interesenting if you introduce some additional interaction with the audio app.

See if the Radio FM app works now
23rd May 2017, 08:38 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Version 0.0.2 is now released, with system apps included and basic voice control.
See if the Radio FM app works now

Installed! Thank you!

Results:
- App FM don't show in the list.
- Voice control: Please, explain how to use it.
- No bugs detected.

Regards.
23rd May 2017, 09:00 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Installed! Thank you!

Results:
- App FM don't show in the list.
- Voice control: Please, explain how to use it.
- No bugs detected.

Regards.

If a app dosent show up, it is because it is not made in the standard way Android handles media. Maybe try a different FM app from the Play store? Just find one that has a notification widget, then it should work. I dont have fm in my phone so cant test it myself

For the voice control, only "play music" seems to work ("pause", "play" etc. fails on Google's side). This is a requirement from Google, so couldnt update the app without including this, but will expand it furter like "Play Chrome on AnyAutoAudio".
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)