Allwinner R16 (astar_d7) Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow - Partition Dump & Information

Search This thread

sbruda

Nov 6, 2016
Sherbrooke, Quebec
How do you power on the thing when not connected in the car???
The black (thick) wire to ground and both the yellow (thick) and red (thin) wires to +12VDC. I use a variable voltage power supply to provide the power but any strong enough +12VDC supply will do (anything between 11.5V and 14V will probably do); just be warned that the unit draws close to 1.5A when powered on, so a 20W power supply will work but anything less may be troublesome.

If you happen to have an ISO header then the attached pinout will help identifying the wires (you want GND, ACC, and Battery, all in Connector A). The document as a whole is specific to KIA Sorento, but Connector A and Connector B are both ISO so when it comes to the power wires the document should apply to any ISO header.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• hu-pinout.pdf
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,087

zerozoneice

Dec 18, 2010
thx but i'll stick to connecting it in the car for this one :)
by the way, i noticed a "SYSTEM UPDATE" menu entry under the MCU UPDATE entry in Car Settings....is this where you tried updating the FW from?
I tried it via "Wireless Update" from the "about Device", and then selected local update from its menu....

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Hi,
(my first post):laugh:
I would also like to have a copy of this ROM.
I have the same Droid report.
Being someone that cant leave things alone i have somehow corrupted my unit.
I rooted with Kingoroot and all worked well. Uploaded a recovery to the cloud, all good.
Decided to down load back to the unit. Wife moves car and interrupts download.
Now when i boot up all i get is the car logo and the android screen, this is where it stops.
Tried installing various updates, They seem to install. Progress bar for abut 5 min shows update end
then boots to the car logo Android screen and stops.
Cheers

you can get it from the 4PDA forum

khalwd

Sep 14, 2010
thx but i'll stick to connecting it in the car for this one :)
by the way, i noticed a "SYSTEM UPDATE" menu entry under the MCU UPDATE entry in Car Settings....is this where you tried updating the FW from?
I tried it via "Wireless Update" from the "about Device", and then selected local update from its menu....

I tried everything thing i know and read about to update the firmware.
after I unzipped and copied the files to the root of my Fat32 SD card:
- I tried using apps to reboot to recovery (didn't work, just rebooting the system)
- I tried using the REST button. Didn't work either also just a system reboot.
- I tried from the settings menu choosing "system update" choice. But it did nothing too (look like the update choice isn't enabled!!)
Anything else I should try?
I updated pictures of my menu settings. I hope someone can help with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170312_235648.jpg
    IMG_20170312_235648.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 1,772
  • IMG_20170312_235442.jpg
    IMG_20170312_235442.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 1,755

zerozoneice

Dec 18, 2010
Here they are. Sorry for the crappy photos but I have no idea how to take screenshots on this unit (please advise):
  • 1-main.jpg - main screen
  • 2-notif.jpg - notifications pulled down (two times)
  • 3-settings-scrolled.jpg - the settings app scrolled all the way down
  • 4-car-settings-scrolled.jpg - the Car settings screen scrolled all the way down
  • 5-settings-pass.jpg - the password entry box and keyboard (I would advise the use of a USB keyboard instead though)
  • 6-extra-settings.jpg - the Extra setting screen
  • 7-resolution.jpg - the resolution dialogue
I hope this helps. If somebody can advise on how to take screenshots I will come back with better quality photos.

couldn't nail it. impossible.

khalwd

Sep 14, 2010
I tried everything thing i know and read about to update the firmware.
after I unzipped and copied the files to the root of my Fat32 SD card:
- I tried using apps to reboot to recovery (didn't work, just rebooting the system)
- I tried using the REST button. Didn't work either also just a system reboot.
- I tried from the settings menu choosing "system update" choice. But it did nothing too (look like the update choice isn't enabled!!)
Anything else I should try?
I updated pictures of my menu settings. I hope someone can help with it.

anyone has an idea about how to do a hard reset with no physical buttons?
my head unit stock on the boot image :'(

velvetpig

Feb 24, 2017

I feel for you,
I have the same situation (stops on android screen)
I may be wrong but i think hard reset has been disabled on some Chinese head units, I have a INFIDINI unit
Cant post link
I have 4 hard buttons on mine but no combinations work and no info on the net.
Joying units can be hard reset (youtube full of it but nothing else)
Im over it and bying a new head unit
Good luck

khalwd

Sep 14, 2010
I feel for you,
I have the same situation (stops on android screen)
I may be wrong but i think hard reset has been disabled on some Chinese head units, I have a INFIDINI unit
Cant post link
I have 4 hard buttons on mine but no combinations work and no info on the net.
Joying units can be hard reset (youtube full of it but nothing else)
Im over it and bying a new head unit
Good luck

Im thinking about doing the same thing now.
Im looking at the Joying with intel cpu and 2gb ram. im thinking about taking it and replace its 7" screen with my 10.2" screen. i have read in some Russian site that it could be done.
But not %100 sure about that.

Reactions: velvetpig

pir8man

I spent my day getting educated about my head unit today. From reading up on the 4pda threads HERE and HERE and finally a look at the previous model's thread HERE.

With a fresh partition dump on a USB drive, I was set to go testing. My particular version is EONON's GA2162 Model. I loaded several versions of the OS found on 4PDA. I am currently running the latest that I found, dated 20170224. Each version worked well with the onboard MCU. At one point, I had to factory reset because my hardware buttons stopped responding. This only occurred once, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone gets stuck with this situation.

It appears that the MCU is what really makes the hardware work with the Android system. the ROM is pretty much interchangeable between the various models based on this board. I found the included apps and icon colors were the difference between releases. Functionality was flawless on each of the 5 versions I tested today.

I could not get PhoenixSuit or LiveSuit to operate with my unit. I believe it is because I do not have the correct cable type. Because of that I was stuck with the boot downloader to update the system partition. This went painlessly. I loaded the four flash files to the root folder of my USB stick and connected it to the head unit. Then booted to download mode.

From the previous model thread, i found all the access I needed with:
USB Debugging password: "john@tw-desktop"
Extra Settings password: 123456
Developer Options password: 7890

I have a DD dump of my original ROM. It is 370MB in size. I saw the requests for a post of it. Any suggestions on where to post such a large file?

Boot Modes:
Download Method 1: Hold "HOME" hardware button and press 'Reset" button. Release "HOME" button at update mode screen.
Download Method 2: Short "Key1" wire to ground will force download mode.

Recovery Method 1: Enter "reboot recovery" command from a command line (terminal or adb).
Recovery Method 2: Attach a USB keyboard. Hold "Alt" key AND "Print Screen". While holding, keep tapping "i". When the system restarts, it should trigger a restart in recovery mode.

Last edited:

velvetpig

Feb 24, 2017

I spent my day getting educated about my head unit today. From reading up on the 4pda threads HERE and HERE and finally a look at the previous model's thread HERE.

With a fresh partition dump on a USB drive, I was set to go testing. My particular version is EONON's GA2162 Model. I loaded several versions of the OS found on 4PDA. I am currently running the latest that I found, dated 20170224. Each version worked well with the onboard MCU. At one point, I had to factory reset because my hardware buttons stopped responding. This only occurred once, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone gets stuck with this situation.

It appears that the MCU is what really makes the hardware work with the Android system. the ROM is pretty much interchangeable between the various models based on this board. I found the included apps and icon colors were the difference between releases. Functionality was flawless on each of the 5 versions I tested today.

I could not get PhoenixSuit or LiveSuit to operate with my unit. I believe it is because I do not have the correct cable type. Because of that I was stuck with the boot downloader to update the system partition. This went painlessly. I loaded the four flash files to the root folder of my USB stick and connected it to the head unit. Then booted to download mode.

I have a DD dump of my original ROM. It is 370MB in size. I saw the requests for a post of it. Any suggestions on where to post such a large file?

Boot Modes:
Download Method 1: Hold "HOME" hardware button and press 'Reset" button. Release "HOME" button at update mode screen.
Recovery Method 1: Enter "reboot recovery" command from a command line (terminal or adb).
Recovery Method 2: Attach a USB keyboard. Hold "Alt" key AND "Print Screen". While holding, keep pressing "i". When the system restarts, it should trigger a restart in recovery mode.

Thank you for your efforts, Makes a big difference for people like me that don't have a clue."
May i ask what is a DD Dump?
Cheers

zerozoneice

Dec 18, 2010
couldn't nail it. impossible.

i did it :)
and also managed to upgrade to FW from 29.12, also android 6.0.1. No notable changes though...

one question: would it be possible to somehow modify the screen density in order to show apps interface a bit "larger"?
Increasing the fonts doesn't completely do the trick, since clearly some text / areas in apps (i'm thinking Waze) seems "hardcoded".

zerozoneice

Dec 18, 2010
guys, i managed to get a FW update for a Allwinner T3 headunit...attached the build.prop. Can anything be done/modified with it?

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=MMB29M
ro.build.display.id=t3_p3-eng 6.0.1 MMB29M 20170218 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=20170218
ro.build.version.sdk=23
ro.build.version.preview_sdk=0
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.all_codenames=REL
ro.build.version.release=6.0.1
ro.build.version.security_patch=2015-12-01
ro.build.version.base_os=
ro.build.date=Sat Feb 18 09:58:52 CST 2017
ro.build.date.utc=1487383132
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=x
ro.build.host=BHDS02
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.build.flavor=t3_p3-eng
ro.product.model=QUAD-CORE T3 p3
ro.product.brand=Allwinner
ro.product.name=t3_p3
ro.product.device=t3-p3
ro.product.board=exdroid
# ro.product.cpu.abi and ro.product.cpu.abi2 are obsolete,
# use ro.product.cpu.abilist instead.
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist32=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist64=
ro.product.manufacturer=Allwinner
ro.product.locale=en-US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=t3
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=t3-p3
# Do not try to parse description, fingerprint, or thumbprint
ro.build.description=t3_p3-eng 6.0.1 MMB29M 20170218 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=Allwinner/t3_p3/t3-p3:6.0.1/MMB29M/20170218:eng/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
# end build properties

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.config.ringtone=Ring_Synth_04.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=pixiedust.ogg
ro.carrier=unknown
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
dalvik.vm.image-dex2oat-filter=speed
dalvik.vm.dex2oat-filter=interpret-only
wifi.interface=wlan0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0
ro.opengles.version=131072
debug.hwui.render_dirty_regions=false
persist.sys.strictmode.visual=0
persist.sys.strictmode.disable=1
ro.sys.cputype=QuadCore-T3
ro.product.firmware=V1.0
drm.service.enabled=true
ro.sys.widevine_oemcrypto_level=1
rild.libargs=-d/dev/ttyUSB2
rild.libpath=libsoftwinner-ril-6.0.so
ro.sw.embeded.telephony=false
dalvik.vm.heapsize=512m
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=8m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=192m
dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization=0.75
dalvik.vm.heapminfree=2m
dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m
ro.zygote.disable_gl_preload=true
ro.display.sdcard=1
ro.part.sdcard=1
persist.sys.timezone=America/Los_Angeles
persist.sys.country=US
persist.sys.language=en
persist.fw.force_adoptable=true
ro.lockscreen.disable.default=true
ro.bhd.bsp.version=3.3
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
ro.com.google.gmsversion=6.0_r2
persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib.2=libart
dalvik.vm.isa.arm.variant=cortex-a7
dalvik.vm.isa.arm.features=default
dalvik.vm.lockprof.threshold=500
dalvik.vm.usejit=true
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
ro.expect.recovery_id=0x93384739a8e95c4eae2f13ee3b4edc361e9fe508000000000000000000000000

pir8man

Thank you for your efforts, Makes a big difference for people like me that don't have a clue."
May i ask what is a DD Dump?
Cheers

As there is no custom recovery for this unit. Thus typical nandroid backups are not possible with these units. So we had to use the unix command "dd" to copy the partitions to backup files. These can be rebuilt into a typical update package, but I have not gotten into that myself yet.

i did it :)
and also managed to upgrade to FW from 29.12, also android 6.0.1. No notable changes though...

one question: would it be possible to somehow modify the screen density in order to show apps interface a bit "larger"?
Increasing the fonts doesn't completely do the trick, since clearly some text / areas in apps (i'm thinking Waze) seems "hardcoded".
Here is a DPI changing guide: HERE

Last edited:

khalwd

Sep 14, 2010
As there is no custom recovery for this unit. Thus typical nandroid backups are not possible with these units. So we had to use the unix command "dd" to copy the partitions to backup files. These can be rebuilt into a typical update package, but I have not gotten into that myself yet.

Here is a DPI changing guide: HERE

Hi,
Do you have any idea how to Hard reset my R16 head unit with no physical buttons?
its stuck on the boot image.
i tried to update/reflash the firmware by coping the files to the root of my SD card unplugged the head unit and plugged it again. but it didn't work. it did update just stuck on the booting image!

velvetpig

Feb 24, 2017
Hi,
Do you have any idea how to Hard reset my R16 head unit with no physical buttons?
i tried to update/reflash the firmware by coping the files to the root of my SD card unplugged the head unit and plugged it again. but it didn't work. it did update just stuck on the booting image!

From Eonon, This is for Android 6

Please download the upgrade file from this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzzboUgP8pRta2dWdHNWYmRmdU0/view?usp=sharing

Instructions:

1. Format a USB to FAT32 first, then decompress the upgrade file and only copy 4 files to this formatted USB.

2. Insert the USB to the unit's USB slot.

3. Turn the key to ACC level.

4. Press the RST button on the left of the panel, then turn off the key at once.
Then turn the key to ACC level again after 5 seconds.

5. Then the head unit will upgrade automatically.

You can refer to this video:
https://youtu.be/oLm4o0PESSo

Attention: Please do not cut off the power and take out the USB during the upgrade. It may take a long time to do the upgrade. So please be patient. And please follow the instructions strictly.

This worked for me with head unit stuck on boot screen. I am pretty sure this is not a hard reset but it should get you going again.
If it does not go to update screen try another usb plug. It didnt work on first usb plug i tried. But the second plug did.
I have 2 usb at back of unit and a mini usb at front.
Good Luck.
Forgot to mention,
QuadCore-R16 (astar_d7)
1024 by 600
7 inch screen
The radio after bootup has no sound, I have to change band FM to AM and back, Then it works.
The hard buttons don't light up but with headlights do.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

If i try a factory reset i am asked for a password, I know about the others but i have not seen this one.
Any ideas.
Cheers

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

Looks like i have a winter project to install unix and learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbruda and pir8man

pir8man

Hi,
You need to boot to recovery mode and do a factory reset from there. Since u cannot boot to adb or terminal, u need to do the USB keyboard trick.

pir8man

Thank you velvetpig! I updated to the system you posted to google drive. and then installed the latest EasyConnected app and I finally have mirrorlink working on my LineageOS based phone. That is a first for me.
With that everything is completely different now, lol.

Easy Connected support was happy to supply an Android 7.1.1 compatible version. They also informed me that there was a known bug in the android 6.0 system that was affecting the programs operation. They recommended I contact my vendor for a ROM update. Which led me to testing the various ROMs I found on 4PDA forums (while waiting for a response from EONON support). Alas none solved my mirrorlink issue, but the update velvetpig posted apparently had the bug fix and when I loaded my updated EasyConnected app for testing, I was pleasantly surprised with my first phone to car stereo mirrorlink connection.

I will also note that flashing from another ROM back to EONON version caused my hardware buttons to stop responding again. I rebooted to recovery and did a factory reset to resolve the issue. Everything went smooth after that. A clean root via kingoroot. installed and updated my desired apps. I am set to learn how to use mirrorlinked setup for the next few days.

velvetpig

Feb 24, 2017
Thank you velvetpig! I updated to the system you posted to google drive. and then installed the latest EasyConnected app and I finally have mirrorlink working on my LineageOS based phone. That is a first for me.
With that everything is completely different now, lol.

Easy Connected support was happy to supply an Android 7.1.1 compatible version. They also informed me that there was a known bug in the android 6.0 system that was affecting the programs operation. They recommended I contact my vendor for a ROM update. Which led me to testing the various ROMs I found on 4PDA forums (while waiting for a response from EONON support). Alas none solved my mirrorlink issue, but the update velvetpig posted apparently had the bug fix and when I loaded my updated EasyConnected app for testing, I was pleasantly surprised with my first phone to car stereo mirrorlink connection.

I will also note that flashing from another ROM back to EONON version caused my hardware buttons to stop responding again. I rebooted to recovery and did a factory reset to resolve the issue. Everything went smooth after that. A clean root via kingoroot. installed and updated my desired apps. I am set to learn how to use mirrorlinked setup for the next few days.

pir8man
Good to see you had success.
When you say " I rebooted to recovery and did a factory reset to resolve the issue " how did you do this?
Was this using UNIX ( will be researching ) or some method i haven't seen yet?
I can get to factory reset on the System screen but dont know the password.
Cheers

Last edited:

pir8man

pir8man
Good to see you had success.
When you say " I rebooted to recovery and did a factory reset to resolve the issue " how did you do this?
Was this using UNIX ( will be researching ) or some method i haven't seen yet?
I can get to factory reset on the System screen but dont know the password.
Cheers

as my unit was operating correctly, I installed Terminal Emulator from the Play store. Then opened a terminal windows and typed "reboot recovery" on the command line.
once booted into Recovery Mode, I used my USB keyboard arrow & enter key to run Factory Reset and Reboot.

I have not found any other way to interact with the recovery on my unit. A USB keyboard is necessary. It also makes typing terminal commands much easier. :)

EDIT: did anyone even try the posted passwords for the settings based factory reset?? Mine just reset using "7890" (developer password).

Last edited:

khalwd

Sep 14, 2010
From Eonon, This is for Android 6

Please download the upgrade file from this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzzboUgP8pRta2dWdHNWYmRmdU0/view?usp=sharing

Instructions:

1. Format a USB to FAT32 first, then decompress the upgrade file and only copy 4 files to this formatted USB.

2. Insert the USB to the unit's USB slot.

3. Turn the key to ACC level.

4. Press the RST button on the left of the panel, then turn off the key at once.
Then turn the key to ACC level again after 5 seconds.

5. Then the head unit will upgrade automatically.

You can refer to this video:
https://youtu.be/oLm4o0PESSo

Attention: Please do not cut off the power and take out the USB during the upgrade. It may take a long time to do the upgrade. So please be patient. And please follow the instructions strictly.

This worked for me with head unit stuck on boot screen. I am pretty sure this is not a hard reset but it should get you going again.
If it does not go to update screen try another usb plug. It didnt work on first usb plug i tried. But the second plug did.
I have 2 usb at back of unit and a mini usb at front.
Good Luck.
Forgot to mention,
QuadCore-R16 (astar_d7)
1024 by 600
7 inch screen
The radio after bootup has no sound, I have to change band FM to AM and back, Then it works.
The hard buttons don't light up but with headlights do.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

If i try a factory reset i am asked for a password, I know about the others but i have not seen this one.
Any ideas.
Cheers

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

Looks like i have a winter project to install unix and learn.

thank you very much .. I have been trying to do that for a week now with no luck .. i will try that again maybe my has changed :)

the password i used for Factory reset in settings menu is : 7890

You need to boot to recovery mode and do a factory reset from there. Since u cannot boot to adb or terminal, u need to do the USB keyboard trick.

i tried to boot to the recovery mod even when the unit was working good with apps (rebooting in to recovery​) but it keeps rebooting the system only. I believe this unit doesn't have a recovery!!

thanks for ideas ..

pir8man

i tried to boot to the recovery mod even when the unit was working good with apps (rebooting in to recovery​) but it keeps rebooting the system only. I believe this unit doesn't have a recovery!!

thanks for ideas ..

It is possible you have an empty recovery partition. Ouch! And now you have a damaged data partition. That is unfortunate. I read enough to know it can be reflashed. But you are beyond my current knowledge.
Good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please note that I gave up on this unit (MTCD PX5 units are so much nicer...). I will try to update this post (however infrequently) with information that may appear in this thread or come my way by other means, but I will not seek information actively and updates will no longer be from my own experience or experiments.

At the time of writing this head unit is available here and (probably) here. These are both custom fit for Kia Sorento, but other versions do exist; in particular several EONON units feature the same hardware configuration (model numbers GA2160, GA7153 GA7163, and I am sure others).

Hardware-wise this seems to be the same unit as described in this thread so many tricks therein will work for this unit. In particular the USB debugging password continues to be "john@tw-desktop" (without quotes); the extra settings password is most likely either 123456 or 668811; the factory reset and developer options passwords appear to be both 7890.

In all the unit is an Allwinner quad core R16, with the MCU version 5.3.19-16-10-650101-161115 and System version V7.3.1-2016-11-12.100233_TW2. Here is the Droid Info report:

Code:
    DEVICE
    Model: QuadCore-R16 (astar_d7)
    Manufacturer: Allwinner
    Baseband Version: Not Available
    RIL Version: sw-dataonly-ril-for-6.0_v1.0
    Build Number: astar_d7-eng 6.0.1 MOB30R 20161112 test-keys
    Build Fingerprint: Allwinner/astar_d7/astar-d7:6.0.1/MOB30R/20161112:eng/test-keys
    Bootloader: unknown
    Java VM: ART 2.1.0
    OS Version: Marshmallow (6.0.1)
    SDK: 23

DISPLAY
    Resolution: 1024x600 pixels
    Software Density: 160 dpi (mdpi)
    Refresh Rate: 60 Hz

PROCESSOR
    CPU Architecture: ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)
    Board: exdroid
    Chipset: sun8i
    Cores: 4
    Clock Speed: 480 MHz - 1200 MHz
    Instruction Sets: armeabi-v7a, armeabi
    CPU Features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt
    CPU Governor: Not Available
    Kernel Version: 3.4.39
    Kernel Architecture: armv7l

GRAPHICS
    Renderer: Mali-400 MP
    Vendor: ARM
    OpenGL Version: OpenGL ES 2.0

RAM
    Total: 986 MB
    Java Heap: 80 MB

STORAGE
    Internal: 12 GB
    EXTERNAL: Not Detected

Software-wise the unit comes with a fairly stock version of Marshmallow, though as usual the operating system is a bit locked down (but to my surprise not too locked down) compared to stock.

The purpose of this thread is to gather information about the software and possible customization for these units. I have added the information I gathered from my experience and I will update this post with any new information I manage to obtain.

1. Partition dump

For reference I dumped all the partitions of my device. The dump is available here. The dump was done by name (for those partitions that have a name) and symlinks point to the device name from /dev/block. Feel free to share (credit appreciated but not necessary) and please share any information that you gather from it (which will be included in this section as it becomes available).

2. Flashing firmware

There are multiple ways of flashing new firmware, depending on the actual unit and also its state (working, bootloop, etc.). All methods require that the all the files (three to six) that contain said firmware (see next section) be placed in the root of a SD card formatted FAT32 and inserted in the GPS slot of the unit. Some reports of the firmware being flashed from a USB stick rather than the SD card also exist; they also mention that choosing one USB port over another might make the difference between success and failure.

On a working system inserting the card and/or USB stick and choosing "update system" from preferences will likely do the trick.

On a system that is not working the following methods have been reported:

• Hold Home, press Reset, and keep holding Home until the update starts (thanks).
    • A hardware solution is to short Key 1 (steering wheel controls) to ground, then press and hold Reset for 10 seconds; release Reset and disconnect Key 1 when "update" is displayed (thanks).
    • Yet another procedure might be needed for some units (thanks): Using a USB stick prepared as above and inserted in the unit, turn ignition to ACC, press Reset, turn ignition off, then after 5 seconds turn it again to ACC. A video is also available.

3. Flashable firmware

All the reports I have seen indicate that all the firmware versions are interchangeable. However, a factory reset will be needed most of the time for full functionality, especially so when installing firmware from a different vendor. It is VERY important however to note that the file bd07a5ee-fbb0-11e4-ae78-000c29ba27c0 contains the MCU firmware and so SHOULD NOT be flashed on incompatible devices as doing so will brick the unit (thanks).

Partition 11 of the above dump in particular stores a flashable image. It contains the following files:

81cb828c-9b57-11e6-ad2a-df6786178d62
    827ba428-9b57-11e6-8dfb-37398ea70e52.0
    827ba428-9b57-11e6-8dfb-37398ea70e52.1
    bd07a5ee-fbb0-11e4-ae78-000c29ba27c0

The files 827ba428-9b57-11e6-8dfb-37398ea70e52.* in particular when cat-ed together form an ext4 file system that appear to be a copy of the system partition. This 4pda forum thread contain more information (thanks @Ahfish22); I do not speak Russian at all but Google Translate does a good job most of the time.

Since I started this thread many people have posted many firmware versions. Here is a hopefully complete list. There might be duplicates and misses and I apologize for both in advance.

The following set of firmware (in particular V7.3.1_20170610.110122_KED1 therein) come recommended by several users (thanks).

EONON firmware:
    GA2162_KBT2_20170309 (thanks)
    V7.3.1_20170114.111256_KBT2 (thanks)
    EONON-R16-20170509 (thanks)
    EONON-R16-KLD20170515
    V7.3.1_20170427.104257_KBT2 (thanks)
    EONON-R16-KLD20170515 (thanks)

KED1 (MEDEKE?) firmware (thanks):
    V7.3.1_20170216.180104_KED1
    V7.3.1_20170720.152039_KED1

TW2 (TopWinner?) firmware (thanks):
    V7.3.1_20170111.114952_TW2-IVT+ROOT+RADIO
    V7.3.1_20161229.175327_TW2
    V7.3.1_20161201.154419_TW2

TH6 firmware (thanks): V7.3.1_20161129.194710_TH6

JYZC1 (Joying?) firmware (thanks):V7.3.1_20170317.114203_JYZC1

Kaier firmware (thanks)

Rooted KLD (Klyde) firmware (thanks):V7.3.1_20170512.203736_KLD1-0-1-mod

4. Recovery

Mot units do have a working recovery partition, though some are reported not to have such. The command "reboot recovery" at a root prompt (terminal emulator or ADB) will enter recovery (if available).

Alternatively recovery can be reached with an external USB keyboard as follows: While holding Alt and Print Screen keep tapping i; the system will eventually restart in recovery (thanks pir8man) .

It should be noted that despite the on-screen instructions the stock recovery does not react to any buttons on the head unit, but works well with an external USB keyboard.

5. Customization

There are useful tweaks that come with the stock operating system including speed-dependent volume and (apparently, I have not tested exhaustively) the elimination of the full-screen keyboard.

I found this alternative to the stock radio app (context, source code) which is pretty nice except that the app force closes upon attempting to enter settings. If you speak Russian it may be worth discussing this with the developer.

Root: Kingoroot works, though several attempts (reboot and try again) may be needed. Note that a reliable Internet connection is needed during the whole process. I do not like the extra apps and intrusive ads that come with Kingoroot. I therefore recommend once rooted to install Chainfire's SUperSU, let it update the su binary, and then uninstall Kingoroot. Note however that the current Play Store SuperSU (namely, version 2.82) may not be able to overwrite Kingoroot's su (saying instead that "the su binary is occupied"). If this is the case you may want to try version 2.79 (downloadable from here) which is known to work. Once the Kingoroot's su binary is overwritten you can upgrade to the latest (Play Store) SuperSU.

Busybox: Installed without incidents using the usual installer from the Play Store.

Xposed: Installed using the Xposed installer v. 3.1.1 and works well. I tried Gravity Box and Xprivacy.

6. Outstanding issues

It should be possible to redefine the default apps for music, video, and radio but I did not find any way to do it.

Mapping SWC and front button panel events works to some degree (for testing purposes I mapped the "Band" button to the app drawer), but this seems to be exclusively at the mercy of the MCU, which only allows mapping to predefined actions. I could find no way to map these events to custom actions on the OS side. It was reported that button events are communicated to the OS as long as no MCU app is running. However, I was unable to reproduce this; for me no event is ever seen by the OS no matter how many (or how few) apps are running. I stopped all the MCU apps but even so KeyTest does not register any event.

Needless to say, no custom recovery (such as TWRP) exist for these units.

Boot Modes:

Recovery Method 2: Attach a USB keyboard. Hold "Alt" key AND "Print Screen". While holding, keep tapping "i". When the system restarts, it should trigger a restart in recovery mode.
    would you please share your launcher apk and your launch screenshot... ?

You should rename the file to Launcher2.apk, replace it in the folder system/priv-app/Launcher2/ and set permissions to 0644. Need root.

Attention! Before you do that, install any other launcher. Need it, whatever your head unit is not locked, if something you did wrong.
    There is a modded rom on 4pda with autorun that works and is a good rom: V7.3.1_20170610.110122_KED1

Totally agree with Petro, this tomorrow works very well and has root already.

If you want to change the boot animation, enter 'Topway' into the external SD dialogue.

Hi, guys!
    I made a new modded rom V7.3.2_20170801.182935_KED1.
    See changes here
    Thx.
    Info & Findings

There seems to be some confusion about which specific models this thread references. This thread references the mainboard&CPU(SOC) that is re-branded by each manufacturer for any specific head unit model. I find it easiest to think of the mainboard as the starting point. and the MCU as a secondary layer that turns on and off all the various hardware modules as we switch from them via apps. The Mainboard is generic and interchangeable. The Android OS is not generic, but IS interchangeable. Worst case is the MCU is not configured for the new OS and a factory reset is needed to get the two working together again. The MCU firmware itself is NOT generic NOR interchangeable.

These mainboards may be attached to different screen sizes and/or button layouts. My understanding is that the MCU interfaces between the various hardware features (bluetooth, wifi, gps, radio, cameras, buttons, etc) and the Android OS. This means the MCU is specific each manufacturer that takes this mainboard and attached their own hardware modules and interface (screen, buttons). Detailed MCU information: HERE

In my case, I have an EONON GA2162 head unit. Which is Allwinner R16 based motherboard with EONON Specific hardware modules. The MCU is programmed with KBT2 firmware to accommodate EONON's specific changes. I can change to any other released System firmware and may need to factory reset for full functionality. I can only update the MCU to newer KBT2 MCU Firmwares.

It appears the Allwinner R16 based motherboard is the same board used in the android 4.4.4 units linked: HERE The main hardware difference between those units and ours is the SOC/CPU. Ours is AllWinner R16 (Cortex A9) based where the other units are RockChip PX3(Cortex A9) based. Our units come with Android 6.x standard simply because by the time AllWinner SOC hit the market, development had already turned to 6.x and 7.x System OS.
    w OS.

Hardware Details:
    Hardware: Resolution: 1024 * 600
    Output power: 4 * 45W
    Cores: 4
    ROM 16 GB
    Display: LCD TFT, 6,2 / 7/8/9 / 10.1 inch capacitive 5 points
    Operating System: Android 6.0.1
    RAM 1 GB
    Main CPU: Allwinner R16 Cortex A9 Quad Core (upto) 1.6GHz
    Radio: analog 6686 with RDS
    Navigation: GPS / GLONASS

Sytem Versions:
    This units Android system is 6.0.1, however the software versions for this unit vary
    KBT2 (EONON):
    @Pir8man V7.3.1_20170112_KBT2
    @VelvetPig V7.3.1_20170309 GA2162_KBT2

KED1 (MEDEKE?):
    V7.3.1_20170216.180104_KED1
    V7.3.1_20170224.153853_KED1
    V7.3.1_20170103.140506_KED1

TW2 (TopWinner?):
    V7.3.1_20170111.114952_TW2
    V7.3.1_20161229.175327_TW2
    V7.3.1_20161201.154419_TW2

TH6:
    V7.3.1_20161129.194710_TH6

JYZC1 (Joying?):
    V7.3.1_20170317.114203_JYZC1

Other Downloads:
    PhoenixSuit Software: http://www.mediafire.com/file/oz5digccn3t52ee/115_cz0084d9kx1a5dm5f_4.3---4.4+刷机.rar
    KingoRoot Appliction

Additonal Information:
    USB Debugging is password protected.
    Resolved: The password is "john@tw-desktop". Credit to @nikko82

Factory Reset / Developer Options password: 7890
    Alternate password: 668811
    Note: Do NOT change the resolution of the head unit. You will destroy your unit. However it is reversible.

Backup (ROM DUMP) Procedure:
    Code:
    Thanks to @iceglue
    1. Start TERMINAL EMULATOR2. Execute Superuser: su
    3. Go to partition directory: cd /dev/block/by-name
    4. Copy to SD Card:
    dd if=boot of=/extsd0/boot.img bs=4096
    dd if=bootloader of=/extsd0/bootloader.img bs=4096
    dd if=env of=/extsd0/env.img bs=4096
    dd if=data of=/extsd0/data.img bs=4096
    dd if=misc of=/extsd0/misc.img bs=4096
    dd if=recovery of=/extsd0/recovery.img bs=4096
    dd if=system of=/extsd0/system.img bs=4096
    dd if=private of=/extsd0/private.img bs=4096

RECOVERY:
    No Custom (CWM/TWRP) recovery available yet for the R16 based units running Android 6.x. Also some units are being shipped without the basic android recovery. Terminal and using unix 'dd' command (with root access) to read/write partitions is the current solution for ROM recovery.

Boot Modes:

EDIT: Fixed GDrive link to Eonon Backup file