FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Atoto A6 Info on Rooting, Backup and Recovery

46 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By stabone00, Member on 7th March 2018, 07:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
All instructions were performed on an Atoto A6 A62721P. There may be variations with other models.

What you will need:

Mediatek VCOM drivers ---> https://mtkusballdriver.com/download/mtk-usb-v1-0-8
SP Flash Tool for Mediatek Devices. ---> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pkJ...U9f4iW6b-/view
MTK Droid Tools with mod by Bovirus ---> https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...2&d=1522117513 (has added info to recognize MT8127) Original file is from---> https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2160490
Notepad++ ---> https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.5.html
MT8127 Scatter File ---> https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...810&d=15202295
(Most of this can be executed in linux, there is an SP Flash Tools, but I couldn't find an MTK Droid tools version)

To connect to the unit you need a male to male usb cable or mini male to full male usb adapter and usb cable.
Using the SP Flash tool requires full reboots. Since I didn't have the unit installed in a vehicle, I simply made up a 12 volt cord with two
light switches, one switch to 12V constant wire(yellow) and feeding other switch, which then goes to ACC wire(red).
You can also use the pull down and reboot, you just have to get the timing for plugging in the usb cable.
Connection is made to the quick charge usb port. You will want to disconnect and reconnect at that port, not at the computer.

All processes assume you have Developer options enabled, with OEM unlocking and USB debugging enabled. Also allow install from unknown sources
enabled in Security.

Backup and Recovery with SP Flash Tools and MTK Droid tools

With the unit turned off and not connected, open the sp flash tool folder and run sp flash tool as Admin.
For the Scatter-loading File, click choose and select the downloaded scatter file, MT8127_Android_scatter.txt.
Now click the Readback Tab.
Select add, to add an entry to the list below. Double click the the entry. You can make a folder to save it in, but leave the
name ROM_0.
After selecting save, you will get the Readback block start address screen. Type will be Hex, Region - EMMC_USER.
Start address will be left at 0x0000000000000000.
The length we can get from the scatter file. Open the scatter file in Notepad++.
The scatter file is your partition table along with other info. You can use the start address for the cache, so that will backup everything
to that point. The address is 0x00000000D4000000.
Select ok and then make sure the box on the left for the entry you created is checked.
Now click Readback.
With Sd Flash Tool Readback running, turn on both constant and acc to the unit.
Connect the usb cable to quickcharge port in four to five seconds after powering.
If you are too late it won't work and you will have to reboot. If you are too early it won't work either. If the Atoto screen appears on the
unit, you need to try again.
Once you connect, the bottom process bar in SP tools will first turn red, and then you will see the process as it is backing up your system
in blue.
I was having issues with the unit timing out before completing. I found that turning off the power to the ACC after about two minutes,
and then back on in two minutes, would keep the process from timing out. Just keep doing that until it finishes.
Once it has finished, disconnect and restart the unit. You can close the message that it finished in SP Flash.
Now you want to run MTK Droid tools downloaded from here, as admin.
When the unit is up and running, and MTK Droid tools up, connnect the usb to the unit.
In a few seconds, MTK Droid tools should recognize the unit and display some info. When that happens, click the "root.backup.recovery" tab.
Now you want to select "To process file ROM_ from Flash Tool".
Now go to the folder where you saved the ROM_0 and select it. This cut the rom into the actual partitions, making it flashable.
When asked "To make CWM recovery Automatically" select no, and then it will ask for an optional file to use, just click cancel.
When it has finished, go into the MTK Droid Tools folder, and in the backups folder, will be a folder with all of the partitions.
You will want to change the name of factory_NONmodified_recovery.img to just recovery.img.

To restore, run SP flash tool, and select the the scatter file from the backup folder. Always make sure that the Preloader is never checked.
Typically Preloader and Uboot are not checked, but make sure anyway. If the Preloader if erased, or accidently written over, you will have hard
bricked your device. Other mediatek devices(mainly phones) are able to recover from this by either booting into a hidden metamode, or by
finding a test point on the board marked KCOLO or COLO and grounding it. I have not found either of these methods to be available.
So don't mess with the preloader.

Flashing is the same method as before. When you see all the partitions loaded if SP Flash tool, click Download.
Power up the unit and connect the usb in four to five seconds. Turn ACC power on and off to keep it from timing out.
If you get an error in sp flash that it is the wrong scatter file, you should replace the scatter file in you backup folder with the one
downloaded from the link above.

Flashing a partition, such as recovery is the same process, you could simply put the recovery in a folder with the scatter file and then
select that in scatter in SP flash tool. (Flashing a custom recovery requires the system to be rooted)

Rooting
The easiest way to gain root I found, was by running KingOroot in windows, connected to usb. Once KingO has root, you have to replace KingOroot
with SuperSu. The first time, I replace files manually through ADB with root privileges.(Could also use ES File Exploer)
But an easier way is once KingOroot has root, do not reboot. Install SuperSU and then Run SuperSU, and when it fails, run it again. Eventually you will
see a prompt that SuperSU is asking KingOroot for root privileges. Grant it and run it again. When it fails, reboot the system. SuperSU should now have
root. Make sure kingoroot is gone. When you make SuperSU a system app, the only way to lose it is by unrooting in the SuperSU options.

If you got this far, you might have realized that a custom recovery is not exactly necessary, due to the SP Flash Tool. Once rooted, you could use Flashfire for apps
that need to be flashed, such as Xposed. However I did compile a TWRP recovery from Omnirom source using ---> https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2798257
There is an issue with it that it keeps going to lock screen, you just have to keep swiping to unlock.(Was able to 'cut out' the lock screen issue, no longer locking)But everything seems to be functioning.
You can get the custom TWRP recovery here ---> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k_...zbq0m0Q3VgZ7P1

I don't credit take this, there is tons of info on Mediatek devices on here, just do a search. I just took the info and found what works for this device.

Some other info: Fastboot is not enabled on this device. If you use adb reboot bootloader, You will see a fastboot mode screen for a moment, until the unit automatically reboots. I was able to get the screen to last for a while by either turning off power to the ACC or disconnecting and reconnecting the USB. Even though the screen remained on for a bit, there is no way to connect. You can also get to an odd Recovery like menu if you do adb reboot sideload and wait for it to timeout.
Could not find a way to connect to or control that either. And if you flash a custom recovery without having root, it will go to a factory reset.

My biggest issue with this unit is Atoto's Gui, I have been trying Nova Launcher and CarWebGuru, both seem to be much better options. After looking at some of the other units stock setup, I think this has to be one of the worst. Maybe one day atoto will decide to update it.
Thats really my only major gripe. There is the issue with radio being attached audio device, but it seems to be with a lot of these units.

Hope this helps anyone interested and gain's some interest in this unit.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stabone00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stabone00 Ad-Free

7th March 2018, 05:33 PM |#2  
Flag St. Francis, Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 376

More
Awesome! Thanks for this. I will have to look in to this this weekend.
22nd March 2018, 07:03 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Stabone00, you never disappoint.

Thanks so much as always.
25th March 2018, 03:20 AM |#4  
Flag St. Francis, Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 376

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabone00

Rooting
The easiest way to gain root I found, was by running KingOroot in windows, connected to usb. Once KingO has root, you have to replace KingOroot
with SuperSu. The first time, I replace files manually through ADB with root privileges.(Could also use ES File Exploer)
But an easier way is once KingOroot has root, do not reboot. Install SuperSU and then Run SuperSU, and when it fails, run it again. Eventually you will
see a prompt that SuperSU is asking KingOroot for root privileges. Grant it and run it again. When it fails, reboot the system. SuperSU should now have
root. Make sure kingoroot is gone. When you make SuperSU a system app, the only way to lose it is by unrooting in the SuperSU options.

Well, after some trial and error, I have this thing rooted, permanently! Here is how it went for me...
I hooked up the head unit via the USB B (Fast charge) cable.
Then ran KingoRoot on the computer and hit the root device button and once the head unit showed I has root via SuperUser (The KingoRoot SU app), I then installed SuperSU v2.79 (v2.82 WILL NOT work!!!! It will complain that there is already and SU binary or some junk and wont even let the app start so its a no go).

Now open SuperSU aand let it run, attempting to update the SU Binary. Just let it run for a while, took mine almost 5 minutes, then when the SuperUser prompt pops up, grant/allow SuperSU root access. If it fails and the root access prompt doesnt pop up, just close and reopen SuperSU again to try and update the SU binary until it asked for root permission. It will always fail so dont worry. Once it does and you allow/grant SuperSU permission via SuperUser, try to update the binary again in SuperSU. It will fail but dont worry, thats normal.

Next, uninstall SuperUser (The KingoRoot SU app), then reboot your head unit. Once you have rebooted, open root checker and the SuperSU prompt should pop up asking for permission and click allow and should show you have root. Now, open SuperSU and it go to settings and change it to a system app. Once its done changing it to a system app, SuperSU will just close and SuperSU will be gone from your app drawer until you reboot. Once you reboot, SuperSU will be back in your app drawer. Thats all there is to it. Enjoy having permanent root access. I have rebooted my device at least 10 times and still have root access. Happy camper here. Thanks for the tips on rooting this thing. I was going crazy the first time I tried a couple weeks ago trying to keep it rooted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180324_204844_resize_resize.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	4456890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180324_204957_resize_resize.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	4456891  
The Following User Says Thank You to Hippie459MN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hippie459MN Ad-Free
25th March 2018, 05:53 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
I completely forgot about the issue with supersu 2.82. When I was first trying to root, I downloaded it from the play store. When I installed it manually I used the zip of 2.79 which I already had. I even tried installing 2.82 manually, later, but it never worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to stabone00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stabone00 Ad-Free
26th March 2018, 10:16 PM |#6  

More
i'm a little lost with this

The scatter file is your partition table along with other info. You can use the start address for the cache, so that will backup everything
Select ok and then make sure the box on the left for the entry you created is checked.

this is whats shown on scatter file.

partition_index: SYS26
partition_name: CACHE
file_name: cache.img
is_download: true
type: EXT4_IMG
linear_start_addr: 0xD4000000
physical_start_addr: 0xD4000000
partition_size: 0x10000000
region: EMMC_USER
storage: HW_STORAGE_EMMC
boundary_check: true
is_reserved: false
operation_type: UPDATE
reserve: 0x00

what do i change??

thanks again for any info.

scoolro
27th March 2018, 03:09 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolro

i'm a little lost with this

this is whats shown on scatter file.

partition_index: SYS26
partition_name: CACHE
file_name: cache.img
is_download: true
type: EXT4_IMG
linear_start_addr: 0xD4000000
physical_start_addr: 0xD4000000
partition_size: 0x10000000
region: EMMC_USER
storage: HW_STORAGE_EMMC
boundary_check: true
is_reserved: false
operation_type: UPDATE
reserve: 0x00

what do i change??

thanks again for any info.

scoolro

When you load the scatter file into SP Flash tool, it brings up the list under the Download tab. There you can see that the addresses are listed with all sixteen numbers, so that's that's what I used for the readback.
27th March 2018, 03:12 AM |#8  

More
where can i get
MTK Droid Tools with mod by Bovirus??
the link is down

Thanks Again

Scoolro
27th March 2018, 03:26 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Didn't know it wasn't working.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MTKDroid_2.5.3b_mod_by_bovirus.zip - [Click for QR Code] (19.01 MB, 78 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stabone00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stabone00 Ad-Free
27th March 2018, 05:40 AM |#10  

More
Thanks again Stabone,
I took care of the back up and recovery partitons on the mtk tools.
Now how do i flash twrp that i download from above into stereo do i use flashfire and how do you access recovery on stereo when installed in car??

again as always thanks for all the help. appreciate it so much.

scoolro
The Following User Says Thank You to scoolro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scoolro Ad-Free
28th March 2018, 03:11 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabone00

Didn't know it wasn't working.

i beleive i inserted twrp but i do not know how to get into recover mode, can you let me know?

many thanks as always,

scoolro
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)