47 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By jorisvervuurt, Member on 3rd June 2018, 06:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th June 2018, 07:41 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
@vassandrei I have just (without taking the radio out of the dashboard) measured the red CAM POW wire on the AV-harness.

Good news! Normally, the wire reads 0V. When I open the F-Cam app - no matter if the front or back camera is selected - it reads +12V. This is also the case when the reverse gear is selected, even when the F-Cam app is not opened.

Note that all of the above is working without having the reverse trigger wire connected to the reverse light positive; all through the CANbus system.

I’m going to change how my reverse camera is connected, as it right now only gets power when I select the reverse gear.

9th June 2018, 10:26 AM |#12  
OP Member

More
Bad news!

I just took my radio out to see if it has the 8-pin connector.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t actually have the connector installed, though it does look like everything on the PCB in place; it’s just the connector that wasn’t soldered on during production (probably to save cost).

I could open the unit and manually solder a connector on, but I assume that will void my warranty...
9th June 2018, 04:49 PM |#13  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorisvervuurt

Bad news!

I just took my radio out to see if it has the 8-pin connector.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t actually have the connector installed, though it does look like everything on the PCB in place; it’s just the connector that wasn’t soldered on during production (probably to save cost).

I could open the unit and manually solder a connector on, but I assume that will void my warranty...

Awww man that sucks! I would still consider soldering.. the warranty isn’t worth much (huge pain in the butt to send for repairs anyway ). The convenience and novelty are worth it for me
9th June 2018, 05:46 PM |#14  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassandrei

Awww man that sucks! I would still consider soldering.. the warranty isn’t worth much (huge pain in the butt to send for repairs anyway ). The convenience and novelty are worth it for me

Yeah, I’m definitely considering soldering directly to the board (I’m quite experienced in soldering so that is no problem at all). Instead of ordering through e.g. AliExpress, I ordered the radio through Icebox Auto in the UK, so should I need the warranty, it shouldn’t be a very big problem as I also live in the EU (The Netherlands).

I’ve emailed them to ask about soldering to the board. Preferably, I’d solder the correct female connector to the PCB, but I haven’t found the name of the 8 pin connector so far.

Here’s a photo of how my radio looks from the back:
9th June 2018, 06:08 PM |#15  
Flag Moscow

More
Quote:

Yeah, I’m definitely considering soldering directly to the board (I’m quite experienced in soldering so that is no problem at all). Instead of ordering through e.g. AliExpress, I ordered the radio through Icebox Auto in the UK, so should I need the warranty, it shouldn’t be a very big problem as I also live in the EU (The Netherlands).

I’ve emailed them to ask about soldering to the board. Preferably, I’d solder the correct female connector to the PCB, but I haven’t found the name of the 8 pin connector so far.

Here’s a photo of how my radio looks from the back:

Yeah the one to the left of the circle hole is it. I can even see the bits of solder on the pads! I would solder a wire directly to the board, not bothering with connectors
9th June 2018, 08:07 PM |#16  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Yeah the one to the left of the circle hole is it. I can even see the bits of solder on the pads! I would solder a wire directly to the board, not bothering with connectors

Yep, it really looks like they just saved on production costs and figured we wouldn’t need the connector. Soldering wires would work too, though I prefer the connectors to be as they would be from the factory. I’ve been looking around the internet and it looks like it’s a 2x4p PHB wire-to-board connector with 2.0mm spacing. Not entirely sure though, but they look identical...

Will keep this thread updated once I hear from Rob at Icebox Auto.
By the way, which pins are needed for the F-CAM RCA-in? I assume ground and signal, but which ones are they on the 8-pin connector?
9th June 2018, 08:56 PM |#17  
Flag Moscow

More
Quote:

Yep, it really looks like they just saved on production costs and figured we wouldn’t need the connector. Soldering wires would work too, though I prefer the connectors to be as they would be from the factory. I’ve been looking around the internet and it looks like it’s a 2x4p PHB wire-to-board connector with 2.0mm spacing. Not entirely sure though, but they look identical...

Will keep this thread updated once I hear from Rob at Icebox Auto.
By the way, which pins are needed for the F-CAM RCA-in? I assume ground and signal, but which ones are they on the 8-pin connector?

This is the way I have it on mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2887.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	4522409  
The Following User Says Thank You to vassandrei For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vassandrei Ad-Free
9th June 2018, 10:03 PM |#18  
OP Member

More
Quote:

This is the way I have it on mine:

Awesome, thanks for the clear picture!
10th June 2018, 06:45 PM |#19  
OP Member

More
Today I went ahead and took out the radio (again); this time including the wiring...
I've rewired the rear view camera, so that I can enable it even while driving forward.

I've modified the AV-harness so that I have two +12V wires (with bullet connectors) coming from the CAM-POW wire. See attached photo.
Almost all preparations for a future front-view camera are finished. Modifying the radio's PCB is the only thing left to do, but I'm gonna wait for Icebox Auto's response regarding the warranty.

It's kind of funny to enable the rear view camera while driving forward.

11th June 2018, 04:27 AM |#20  
OP Member

More
@vassandrei An additional question regarding the CAM-POW wire:
Do you know how much current (mA) the CAM-POW wire can provide?

As you can see in my previous post, I’d like to connect two cameras to the CAM-POW wire. One of those cameras has 4 white LEDs built-in. How does a relay setup look and when is it needed? Or will two cameras work just fine?
11th June 2018, 03:35 PM |#21  
OP Member

More
Just got an awesome reply from Rob at Icebox Auto in the UK. He has authorized me to open my head unit and the warranty will remain unaffected!

A very, very big thanks to Icebox Auto!
Great guys to deal with (especially Rob)!

@vassandrei Hope you have an answer to my previous question. Thanks again for all the help!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)