FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Joying Intel] Hardware Antenna Mod

42 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By overkillthemighty, Member on 20th February 2018, 07:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I got my 10.1" unit and decided I was going to do something about the abysmal wireless reception these units have (I set up a WAP in my garage next to my car because it couldn't get a good signal to the router on the other side of the wall for my 7" unit). I connected up my new HU to power and tested, sure enough the wireless reception was garbage. I decided to fix that.
I popped off the lid, de-soldered the existing excuse for an antenna, and replaced it with a pigtail I had laying around. The pigtail was intended to be used in a desktop using a mini pcie card in it, so I chopped the connector off the end and stripped it down in similar fashion to the OE cable. I popped the hole next to the GPS antenna out with a screwdriver and the new RSMA connector fit perfectly. I put a reasonably large antenna on the unit and not only could I see the router from a house on the other side of the street and down a plot, but I was able to connect and pull internet through it.
I could put a smaller antenna on the connector and install it as is, but I intend to use an extension cable like this to get better signal from somewhere besides the radio slot of my car.
Next up: Heatsinks and a fan!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180217_200045.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	4426233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180217_200114.jpg
Views:	1322
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	4426234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180217_200121.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	4426235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180217_200126.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	4426236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180217_220710.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	4426237  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to overkillthemighty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift overkillthemighty Ad-Free

20th February 2018, 08:33 PM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 72

More
You got my hopes up there. Thought you were going to talk about the RADIO reception.
Unfortunately, the only thing I can imagine needing the wifi for is for hooking up an rpi I use for dashcam at a distance of 2 feet.
21st February 2018, 01:43 AM |#3  
Flag Cooma
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciusfox

You got my hopes up there. Thought you were going to talk about the RADIO reception.
Unfortunately, the only thing I can imagine needing the wifi for is for hooking up an rpi I use for dashcam at a distance of 2 feet.

I used extension cable from the head unit to under my fibreglass roof on my campervan and then from the extension cable, wired 8 metres long cable running under the roof.
Now I get much better reception with that than with my decorational amplified shark fin antenna Both AM and FM pull now weaker stations.
21st February 2018, 09:34 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Unless I am mistaken this will improve bluetooth reception (usually they share an antenna and are in the same chip). There have been times when my phone has been passed to someone in the back seat and bluetooth audio started cutting out. For radio reception you may consider some kind of FM pre-amp? I have never used one, and generally broadcast radio is a last resort for me (commercials can be atrocious where I live, sometimes I prefer silence...), but it may help you.
22nd February 2018, 09:54 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Brilliant idea. I use the WiFi to connect to a USB 3G dongle for Waze & Google maps traffic data, and the wifi is terrible even with the dongle 2-3 feet from the head unit. Already done my fan mod, so wifi antenna will be next.

BTW bluetooth is also 2.4GHz so make sense to share the antenna. Home or office wifi is often the reason why phone headsets don't work well in these environments, especially with multiple access points not correctly configured.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...l/td-p/3170334

WiFi-Bluetooth Overlap
23rd February 2018, 08:55 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwood999

Brilliant idea. I use the WiFi to connect to a USB 3G dongle for Waze & Google maps traffic data, and the wifi is terrible even with the dongle 2-3 feet from the head unit. Already done my fan mod, so wifi antenna will be next.

BTW bluetooth is also 2.4GHz so make sense to share the antenna. Home or office wifi is often the reason why phone headsets don't work well in these environments, especially with multiple access points not correctly configured.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...l/td-p/3170334

WiFi-Bluetooth Overlap

Which 3g dongle are you using?
23rd February 2018, 09:56 AM |#7  

More
It's similar to this one. I only have 500MB VirginMedia Data SIM for £5 per month, so didn't bother with 4G dongle. This is plenty for Waze Traffic !!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSDPA-USB...MAAOSw-W5UyEy4
1st June 2018, 07:06 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nice modification dude! That's actually pretty cool. I'm pretty sure that this should also improve the bluetooth reception of the unit. Have you noticed any difference in that?

Thanks for sharing!

-Murf
1st June 2018, 02:26 PM |#9  

More
Odd, mine pulls signal from my neighborhood, and I can connect in my separated garage through three wall. I haven't done any modification to it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Wonder what it will do with this mod?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
1st June 2018, 06:37 PM |#10  
Flag Zwolle
Thanks Meter: 643

Donate to Me
More
I think they have bad quality control in their factory.
I have a Sofia 3GR model with good WiFi reception. Now I have a PX5 with very bad WiFi reception. I put them next to each other and the PX5 is just terrible compared to the Sofia 3GR.
So it seems to vary per unit: again, bad quality control.

Maybe it is the soldering itself, or some damaging heat effect from the soldering or bad connections? Who knows.
The Following User Says Thank You to surfer63 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift surfer63 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
joying intel

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)