FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Pumpkin AE0273B - Android 8.0 - 4GB+ROM:32GB

76 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

By packetjunkie, Member on 13th March 2018, 03:21 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Website/Info page: https://www.autopumpkin.com/pumpkin-...bluetooth.html

I ordered this off their website since it was cheaper than ebay/amazon by $30-$40 dollars. $309. Because my order was delayed as they waited for new units, they offered me an ODB connector (which did not arrive with the unit).

I received the new unit that claims Android 8.0 last week and had it installed today. So far, so good. However, I think its actually running 6.0 (based on a selection of icons offering me Marshmallow 6.0 option). The install went fine except for the canbus adapter I bought off Amazon did not work, so I've asked their support for help in what would allow me to use steering wheel controls. The mic they supplied has a cable that was only half as long as I needed to get up to my mirror, so its mounted on the dash and the clip is very small and wouldnt have worked anyways.

I've loaded up Nova Launcher with a bunch of widgets and installed Spotify, XM Radio, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Scanner Pro, Chamberlain MyQ, Swiftkey Keyboard, Transparent Weather and Waze. I am using a Personal Hotspot on an iPhone (AT&T) and a Galaxy S7 (Samsung). The location for time zone wouldnt pick up mine, it kept defaulting to China and I had to manually set them to my time zone.

Resolution is very sharp. It's pretty snappy and I've had no problems listening to whatever audio app I want while using Waze.

The unit did hang when I went through an area of bad cell coverage and had to be turned off and turned back on to get working again. I also noticed a slight wine through the radio that I believe is linked to the Live Wallpaper I was trying out. When I went to a blank screen, the noise went mostly away. I havent been able to get "Ok, Waze" to work yet (three finger tap works). I have yet to try Ok, Google. The unit boots quick after the first boot up (right away really, much faster than my Alpine unit in another car).

I installed this in a 2012 Ford F150 - I already have a rear camera in my rear view mirror, so I dont have one hooked up to the unit. I am using a powered JL subwoofer and separate Rockford Fosgate amp for my speakers. I do have a slight alternator whine when I have the volume turned all the way down.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to packetjunkie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift packetjunkie Ad-Free

13th March 2018, 03:30 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
Advertised: SKU: AE0273B OS: Android 8.0 Oreo CPU: Octa -core CPU Processor 1.5 GHz RAM: DDR3 4GB Nand Memory: 32GB Radio IC: NXP TEF6686 Bluetooth: BT 4.0 Boot time(2nd time): about 1s Screen Size: 7-Inch Digital Screen Resolution: 1024*600

Settings
----------
Model: px5
Android Version: 8.0.0
Android security patch level: October 5th, 2017

Kernel Version: 4.4.93+
[email protected] #108
Thu Jan 25 17:07:43 CST 2018

Build number: px5-userdebug 8.0.0.OPR5 170623.007 eng hct 20180126 120432 test keys
MCU version: MTCE_KLD_V2.78_1
Jan 16 2018 19:19:56

CPU: 8 core 64-bit CPU Coretex-A53 @ 1.5G
Memory: 3891 MB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cameringo_20180313_094522.jpg
Views:	5388
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	4445920   Click image for larger version

Name:	cameringo_20180313_094506.jpg
Views:	5412
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	4445921  
The Following User Says Thank You to packetjunkie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift packetjunkie Ad-Free
13th March 2018, 07:13 AM |#3  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Hey now! Researching for a friend that just decided to replace HU. Very interested - please keep reviews and details coming!
Couple questions for you now please?
1. Volume knob - responsive/no lag? (for the wife..)
2. FM radio reception is good? (also wife)
3. Aux video out (to headrest screens) - typical composite (yellow RCA) out?
3.1 All content to aux (ie mirrors the HU display) or only certain content/apps? (or can choose?)

And last question regarding tech support / Pumpkin
4. Do you have any experience with them and their tech support? Would you call them: awesome/great/ok/meh/****? Their support?

Thank you.
13th March 2018, 01:29 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrost909

Hey now! Researching for a friend that just decided to replace HU. Very interested - please keep reviews and details coming!
Couple questions for you now please?
1. Volume knob - responsive/no lag? (for the wife..)
2. FM radio reception is good? (also wife)
3. Aux video out (to headrest screens) - typical composite (yellow RCA) out?
3.1 All content to aux (ie mirrors the HU display) or only certain content/apps? (or can choose?)

And last question regarding tech support / Pumpkin
4. Do you have any experience with them and their tech support? Would you call them: awesome/great/ok/meh/****? Their support?

Thank you.

1. Yes, volume works, is responsive with no lag.
2. I only played a couple of stations, but no reception issues (when I was out of cell coverage, I switched to radio no issues)
3. There are two yellow RCA video outs (see product page)
3.1 I don't know the answer to this since I didn't use these features.
4. They are on a 12-hour clock from us, so answers are usually next morning and I've always gotten a response next business day. I would call it "better than expected:. I wrote about the missing ODB connector and they wrote to say its on the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to packetjunkie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift packetjunkie Ad-Free
13th March 2018, 04:38 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetjunkie

Reserved for photos.

Hi any chance you can show a photo of the settings about screen so we can see the system version and the mcu version?
Thank you
13th March 2018, 04:54 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omniajet13

Hi any chance you can show a photo of the settings about screen so we can see the system version and the mcu version?
Thank you

Posted into Post #2 - I would be interested in what that tells us since I'm not familiar with the version numbers, although I know 4.4 is a KitKat kernel.
13th March 2018, 05:27 PM |#7  

More
my apologies . all the info i need is the first post
thanks very much
13th March 2018, 05:36 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omniajet13

my apologies . all the info i need is the first post
thanks very much

I added it after you asked, you're welcome.
14th March 2018, 01:36 AM |#9  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetjunkie

1. Yes, volume works, is responsive with no lag.
2. I only played a couple of stations, but no reception issues (when I was out of cell coverage, I switched to radio no issues)
3. There are two yellow RCA video outs (see product page)
3.1 I don't know the answer to this since I didn't use these features.
4. They are on a 12-hour clock from us, so answers are usually next morning and I've always gotten a response next business day. I would call it "better than expected:. I wrote about the missing ODB connector and they wrote to say its on the way.

Great info man, thank you!
Hope you put up more experiences with it. Watching with great interest..
14th March 2018, 03:11 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Overall, I am really enjoying this unit - its very responsive and the instant on is a great feature. The only thing I havent yet resolved is the 3-4 minute delay in connecting to an already powered on hotspot. Ive turned off notification of open wifis to see if that helps and will try turning off and on the hotspot. Basically I put an iPhone 8 Plus in the glove box with it plugged in for power so its running all the time - once a day I have to enable the hotspot, but its always on when I start the truck up. Just annoying it takes so long to connect to it.
14th March 2018, 09:59 AM |#11  

More
quick question is the home screen customisable or are the icons and widgets fixed
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)