FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Low tech fix for poor internal mic quality

16 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By dutchhome, Junior Member on 18th March 2016, 03:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I installed my headunit recently and noticed the crappy internal mic issues that is so common with our devices. My external mic wasn't going to be long enough to reach the stereo, so I installed a short extension cable.

What I found was:

Bad - Internal Mic, no external mic connected
Bad - External mic connected
GOOD! - Internal Mic with just the external mic extension connected

What a great relief! In my car, I have the GPS antenna sitting on top of the headunit (was too lazy to run the cable and mount "properly") and it works great. Now I also am using the internal Mic with excellent sound quality with just a small extension installed and nothing connected. I was not expecting such an easy time.

I still have the problem with bad A2DP sound quality. I haven't investigated this yet. I also have a weird problem where turning the volume know to the left will sometimes start making the sound louder. Luckily it fixes itself after a reboot and I can also volume down with the steering wheel controls.
The Following User Says Thank You to dutchhome For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dutchhome Ad-Free

19th March 2016, 05:16 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I wonder why this is?
19th March 2016, 07:26 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 141

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfunaki

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I wonder why this is?

What is 'external mic extension'? Please provide some pics. Very interesting find.
19th March 2016, 07:28 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa.ko

What is 'external mic extension'? Please provide some pics. Very interesting find.

It sounds to me like it is just a 3.5mm extension cord. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-3...+extension+mic
The Following User Says Thank You to ahfunaki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ahfunaki Ad-Free
22nd March 2016, 06:10 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Yes, correct. It is just a simple 3.5mm extension cord. I have no idea why it helps, but my system is good enough with it that I see no reason to do the mic hardware hack.
23rd March 2016, 04:30 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 225

More
This is what I did except i disassembled, unsoldered the old mic from the PCB and soldered in an extension w/ an 1/8 stereo female bulkhead connection at the back of the unit so i can plug in any mic I want to. Tested w/ my wife and she said it was crystal clear. Prior to that quality was HORRIBLE, not even usable actually.

Dave
23rd March 2016, 02:50 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Hi, I'd like to try this to see if it will help my unit. does the length of the extension matter? what was the length you used?
Thanks for the help
24th March 2016, 10:48 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Have you use a mono or a stereo mic extension?

MFG

Wolverine_DH
4th April 2016, 06:23 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 37

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert

This is what I did except i disassembled, unsoldered the old mic from the PCB and soldered in an extension w/ an 1/8 stereo female bulkhead connection at the back of the unit so i can plug in any mic I want to. Tested w/ my wife and she said it was crystal clear. Prior to that quality was HORRIBLE, not even usable actually.

Dave

Did this too. 100% difference! Wow, that is like, the exact wording I was going to use too...down to the "crystal clear" hahaha!
The Following User Says Thank You to natalic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift natalic Ad-Free
5th April 2016, 03:23 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalic

Did this too. 100% difference! Wow, that is like, the exact wording I was going to use too...down to the "crystal clear" hahaha!

Guys, I wanted to test the "trick" with the extension but you write now what I did not understood.
Which mic did you unsolder ?
The connector for the external mic or which one ?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hu-android1.JPG
Views:	3544
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	3708391   Click image for larger version

Name:	hu-android2.JPG
Views:	3548
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	3708392  
The Following User Says Thank You to der_marv For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift der_marv Ad-Free
5th April 2016, 03:29 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 225

More
unsolder the mic that is internal at the front of the unit. With that though I'd try that extension and see if it helps you. If it does you don't need to unsolder but I really don't see how that could possibly help.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to TT_Vert For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TT_Vert Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)