FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Bad radio reception

156 posts
Thanks Meter: 11
 
By srfairhurst, Senior Member on 16th February 2016, 08:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello i have a eonon car stereo running android 444 fuse rom i can only pick up 3 stations and they sometimes loose reception ive tried an amplifier and new eariel but with no luck any suggestions would be great.
16th February 2016, 07:31 PM |#2  
Geekybiker's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
I'd double check your harness connector to the oem antenna. Their was a pin loose on mine and once I bent the retention tabs back out and reinstalled the connection was much stronger.
17th February 2016, 11:27 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekybiker

I'd double check your harness connector to the oem antenna. Their was a pin loose on mine and once I bent the retention tabs back out and reinstalled the connection was much stronger.

Its a Renault Megane and is just a standard connector.
Im now beginning to think its the components on the motherboard as the closer i get to the sauce eg: im from Wigan were Wish FM is broadcast if i drive past the studio its crystal clear same with Key 103 in Manchester. I think the radio chip on these is crap.
17th February 2016, 12:49 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
I think you need a power injector, because the antenna is active and needs power to work correctly. Just put the power injector between the radio and the antenna and connect the blue cable with the AMP or ANT cable of the radio harness...

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk
26th February 2016, 10:02 AM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
I've had the same issue and solved it fortunately.
My Unit is a Joying RK3188 and came with a defect dual input power injector.
Easy steps to identify: At the output of these injectors (called 'phantomspeisung' in german) you sould measue 12V DC. These 12VDC sent over the 2pol antenna cable are for the antenna built in amplifier.

1st: I replaced the power injector with a diversity injector. Google for "Diversity Adapter 204.086-0) www.rta-online.com
2nd: Additionally to my amplified roof antenna I bought a second amplified antenna at amazon
http://www.amazon.de/Baseline-Connec...AKRA-Stecker+F

Both together I've a really good reception now.
The diversity adapater really makes it's job. I is a littel high in price but worth at all.
26th February 2016, 08:06 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Try putting some electrical tape around the Motorola male antenna plug at the head unit. What you are trying to accomplish is to insulate the area where the head unit housing may be in close contact with the plug. Takes a few seconds to try.
1st March 2016, 10:00 PM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce

Try putting some electrical tape around the Motorola male antenna plug at the head unit. What you are trying to accomplish is to insulate the area where the head unit housing may be in close contact with the plug. Takes a few seconds to try.

...that's excatly what provided the very worst reception ever to me... So I looked around (tried a lot and spend some bucks on some useless amplifiers) and finally found the solution from my previous post. It works.
1st March 2016, 10:09 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmuster

...that's excatly what provided the very worst reception ever to me... So I looked around (tried a lot and spend some bucks on some useless amplifiers) and finally found the solution from my previous post. It works.

If putting insulating tape just around the plug where it would touch the housing (and not where the actual plug needs to mate up) gave you worse reception... you did something wrong.
1st March 2016, 10:44 PM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
I was under the impression that these units had issues with the software ( or hardware) or this is what I am told.
See here or am I mistaken?
1st March 2016, 11:05 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza007

I was under the impression that these units had issues with the software ( or hardware) or this is what I am told.
See here or am I mistaken?

Its possible you are mistaken. The OP in this thread didn't provide any hardware specific details. Instead we know only version of android.

My units have no problem with radio reception, but I can simulate a problem if the connector touching the housing and impacting reception.

Other issues are not connecting the power to a stock antenna from the head unit when you install it. Even if you don't have an antenna that goes up and down you can have an amplified antenna. If you don't power it you don't get good reception. it can be something that is missed with wiring up the harness.

Yes, you can also have hardware problems, but its easy to rule out the external issues first before calling the unit the problem.
1st March 2016, 11:28 PM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce

Its possible you are mistaken. The OP in this thread didn't provide any hardware specific details. Instead we know only version of android.

My units have no problem with radio reception, but I can simulate a problem if the connector touching the housing and impacting reception.

Other issues are not connecting the power to a stock antenna from the head unit when you install it. Even if you don't have an antenna that goes up and down you can have an amplified antenna. If you don't power it you don't get good reception. it can be something that is missed with wiring up the harness.

Yes, you can also have hardware problems, but its easy to rule out the external issues first before calling the unit the problem.

When you quote "my units have no problem," what software and hardware do you have in each, which motherboard, radio chip, etc etc
I part of me would like to believe that insulation is a problem here, but guys on the Russian forums have replaced capacitors to improve reception.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes