FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New pumpkin Octo Core Android 8 Head Unit Review/Issues/Ramblings

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By lordxenu, Member on 8th September 2018, 07:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey all,

I just bought a pumpkin android octo core, 4GB ram Android 8 head unit.
This isn't my first android HU. So some quick thoughts...

Very nice they gave a good WiFi antenna with the included kit.
This unit has something odd about it that I need some guidance on... it supports some super fast boot up where if I put the igntion on , the unit is ready to go in a second.
I wonder is this a battery built into the unit? Is it using some large capacitor (tested at least 1hr after shutdown, bootup took 1 second) I very much hope it's not draining the car battery (old android head unit never did).

Everything seems lightning fast on this unit. I can finally even use Google assistant. I sort of could with the last Joying one, but it was just too slow to be practical... as was waiting 5 minutes to be able to use the GPS.

This is literally day zero, as in I just got it a few hours ago so I'll be updating this and testing anything people want me to test later... but I have one other issue and that is that there seems to be a slight hissing sound coming from the unit .. .even with the levels turned way down in the factory settings app... not sure what's causing that but it's a bit of an issue while there's no music playing / not driving around.

Some pics of course :

I got it from Amazon. Cost me £250 on-sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2344.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	4591505   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2342.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	4591508   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2339.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	4591509  

23rd September 2018, 11:15 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
The sleep mode you're talking about is the "Auto" setting in the sleep settings menu, I think it's under the "Extra Settings" menu entry. It basically keeps the unit on in a low power mode indefinitely until it gets a 12v+ signal on the red wire behind the radio. During this time though, it's still drawing from your vehicle's battery. Unless your car has a low capacity battery or other charging system issues, it shouldn't be a problem for you. I've left my truck sitting for over a week with the radio in sleep mode and it fired right up to whatever screen I left it on.

Since this is your first unit, don't get hung up on brand names. All of these units are basically either a PX3 or a PX5, and the roms and programs you'll find on these boards are broken down based on what processor is in it. Theres a dozen different brand names, but they're all basically the same three units.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazard15301 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hazard15301 Ad-Free
24th September 2018, 10:00 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Thanks Hazard15301 it's good to know. I travel a lot for work and often leave my car in airport car parks for weeks. It has a good AGM battery so I guess I should be ok.
24th September 2018, 07:44 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
from what i can tell, that box is actually the design Erisin uses on their boxes. and the headunit im pretty sure is a Klyde. what is the MCU version on it?
26th September 2018, 01:33 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 180

More
I left my car for well over a week with my unit in 'sleep' mode. Started up no problem
14th July 2019, 04:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, how did you download Google Assistant onto the pumpkin head unit? And can it work just like the phone - playing specific songs in Spotify etc? Thanks.
14th July 2019, 04:39 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Google assistant is built-in to the android OS on it. Just enable it and say "OK Google". It can do anything you can do on your phone (although i'm now having trouble with it making phone calls because it thinks it's a phone.. on my old unit it would just bluetooth to the phone and make the call ... the new one won't make calls for some reason - haven't had time to figure out why yet) ... very happy with this unit. This is what Android head units should be like. Everything works, and it's fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to lordxenu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lordxenu Ad-Free
14th July 2019, 04:57 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you very much for the quick reply!

Is the Google assistant an app on its own in the HU? Do I have to click the app first in order to say “ok Google”?

Or can I be on any screen and say “ok Google” and it’ll work?

thanks!
14th July 2019, 05:05 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imogenheap

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

Is the Google assistant an app on its own in the HU? Do I have to click the app first in order to say “ok Google”?

Or can I be on any screen and say “ok Google” and it’ll work?

thanks!

It's already there, installed as part of the OS, but you have to enable it.
open the Google app (again, built in / pre-installed)
At the bottom right, tap More More and then Settings and then Voice.
Under "Okay Google," tap Voice match.
Turn on Access with voice match.

It's not a separate app, it's just in the "google" app (it's just literally called Google on mine)
Once you enable it ... you can just say "OK Google" from any screen ... you don't have to press anything / open any app first.

For some reason I have to set my language to English US (I'm British) otherwise it says English UK isn't supported.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to lordxenu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lordxenu Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)