Thanks Meter: 5,159

By Malaysk, Senior Member on 24th May 2016, 11:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd September 2016, 03:57 PM |#1021  
Thanks Meter: 225

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterod

@ikerg I think you are exaggerating here. I pretty much paid over half the cost to buy and send Malaysk a test MTCD unit to develop this ROM. Malaysk even offered to refund me my contribution because he could not fix the bluetooth problem. I said "No, keep it", because I understand time isn't free and his work has benefited many people. I'm not demanding anything, and I haven't seen anyone post a demand in this forum either. Its not Malaysk's fault, this platform (RK3188 on 5.1.1) is a bad combination that should never have been released. The chip is simply too slow to support it and the 1GB RAM makes it nearly impossible to get a decent running unit. Why do you think Joying has already planned to release a 2GB unit running on an Intel CPU next month? In my opinion, it is because they now know these units were a mistake and they are quickly working to replace them an upgraded model, after only 5 months of this unit being on the market. I'm fairly certain we will see Joying and the other OEM's abandon software development on these RK3188 1GB 5.1.1 units very soon. They tried, it didn't meet expectations, we move on. This happens in life.

Odd I had one request back in they day after donating $75 and that was to extend the standby time past 2 hours, never even got a reply to that.

Dave

23rd September 2016, 03:58 PM |#1022  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert

Odd I had one request back in they day after donating $75 and that was to extend the standby time past 2 hours, never even got a reply to that.

Dave

I *think* that is an MCU setting which Malaysk can't override without the source code.
23rd September 2016, 04:02 PM |#1023  

More
It would have been nice to just know that. I understand there are limitations and all but I know he's very busy. I Just picked up a 5.1.1 w/o going through all this assuming that the bugs had been worked out. Looks like perhaps I will return the 5.1.1 and get another 4.4.4 unit (My original 4.4.4 has been buggy; source button has never worked from day 1, screen just goes black during calls sometimes and the screen sensitivity has gone to hell)
23rd September 2016, 04:42 PM |#1024  
Flag Toronto

More
I'm going to revert to my NewsMy CarPad IIS. If anyone wants to buy a 10" or a 7" MTCD 5.1.1 unit (I have both) in Canada for cheap, let me know via PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sterod For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sterod Ad-Free
23rd September 2016, 05:20 PM |#1025  

More
Yep, it appears I'll return my 5.1.1 and buy a new 4.4.4 unit.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to TT_Vert For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TT_Vert Ad-Free
23rd September 2016, 06:28 PM |#1026  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Why go through all the trouble to go back to an older unit? Why not wait it out for the new 2gb units to be released and worked out? My 5.1.1 does everything pretty well. I wouldn't get rid of it but then again I have the "right" bluetooth OBD2 dongle and my phone has never had a problem with the bluetooth on the unit. The latest Joying firmware is pretty snappy too...

I use Waze, and rocket player or spotify or beyondpod simultaneously daily and while it's not blazing fast it doesn't skip or freeze. Its very usable. The only problems I can think of are just small tweaks that I'd like but dont really affect every day usability.

I've never had a 4.4.4 and I've gotten used to this 5.1.1 so I guess YMMV. Good luck guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to hadeone For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hadeone Ad-Free
23rd September 2016, 06:36 PM |#1027  

More
I'm still going to need something w/ xposed on it. So if Malay is done developing and nobody else w/ the know how steps up that's not going to happen. With these FUSE ROMS RAM isn't an issue but one app I have I need it to interface w/a blueooth module for my radar detector which I've not been able to get to work w/ any MTCD device thus far. using XposedMTC I've never had an issue getting my bluetooth OBDII device to pair/work.

On malays last 4.4.4 ROM (June) using the 5.1.1 launcher I've had a couple issues that never were corrected reflashing ROM. Hoping a new device will resolve this as Malay says he's not heard of these issues (The first 2). The calendar one I can deal with.
1. The screen goes black some times during calls and will not come back w/o a reboot (Device still works while black)
2. The speed doesn't display on the 5.1.1 JY launcher unless I kill it.
3. Radio station presets never saved even w/ xposed module enabled.
34 Out of nowhere my digical calendar app stops syncing one calendar until I wipe app data and rebuild
23rd September 2016, 06:36 PM |#1028  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadeone

Why go through all the trouble to go back to an older unit? Why not wait it out for the new 2gb units to be released and worked out? My 5.1.1 does everything pretty well. I wouldn't get rid of it but then again I have the "right" bluetooth OBD2 dongle and my phone has never had a problem with the bluetooth on the unit. The latest Joying firmware is pretty snappy too...

I use Waze, and rocket player or spotify or beyondpod simultaneously daily and while it's not blazing fast it doesn't skip or freeze. Its very usable. The only problems I can think of are just small tweaks that I'd like but dont really affect every day usability.

I've never had a 4.4.4 and I've gotten used to this 5.1.1 so I guess YMMV. Good luck guys.

Simple, because unless Malaysk gets the kernel source code for MTCD (which I doubt he ever will) it will never be possible to add a 2nd Bluetooth adaptor to this head unit which is required to get all the apps (I NEED) properly working. My NewsMy 4.4.4 unit has dual bluetooth for exactly this reason. For me, having working Bluetooth is more important than anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to sterod For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sterod Ad-Free
23rd September 2016, 06:38 PM |#1029  

More
Sterod, curious what other bluetooth adapter are you using and for what purpose?

Dave
23rd September 2016, 06:39 PM |#1030  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert

Sterod, curious what other bluetooth adapter are you using and for what purpose?

Dave

The AL Priority BT Dongle for Laser & Radar.

http://www.alpriority.com/product/al...h-module-gen2/
23rd September 2016, 06:40 PM |#1031  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Got it. Who would you need to convince to release the kernel source? The actual manufacturer of the unit?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)