Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB), external storage questions

Search This thread

stevenh512

Apr 17, 2017
These are the cheap AndroidTV 6 boxes you can find on eBay, Amazon, Walmart, et al. I'm not concerned with rooting the device, from what I've read that's not possible (at least not if you don't want it permanently tethered to a PC). I am interested in using an external hard drive as external (_NOT_ internal) storage without having to format it FAT32, is that possible?

My issue is, I have a Seagate external hard drive that I would like to use both as a general backup device, and as portable storage for my movie and music collection. My desktop PC runs Ubuntu Linux and I do have files I would like to backup that require (or at least would benefit from) a filesystem that is case-sensitive and preserves Linux permissions. I've tried formatting the drive as ext2, 3 and 4 on my desktop PC and AndroidTV recognizes it, but will not mount it, I only have the options to prepare the drive as "Internal" or "External" storage. If I prepare it as internal storage, I find that it's formatted as FAT32 with a similar directory structure as the SD card in my Android phone. If I prepare it as external storage, I find that there is a single partition that my desktop sees as "unknown" (I'm assuming it's an encrypted ext2, 3 or 4 fs). Partitioning doesn't help, I've tried splitting the drive evenly between FAT32 and ext4 partitions and my AndroidTV box can see and mount the FAT32 partition but cannot safely unmount it (I'm assuming because of the second partition that it can't do anything with).

Is there anything I can do, without rooting the device, to get it to recognize ext2, 3 or 4 (or literally _any_ other Linux compatible, case-sensitive filesystem) as external storage?

joshipallav

Mar 5, 2012
I suggest use plex server on Ubuntu and let the hdd always connected to Ubuntu. Access media content from plex app on mi box

sagar12341

Dec 25, 2017
Mi Box different models. consfused please help!!

The Mi Box reviews are available all over the internet.
But it is becoming very difficult for a noob like me to understand what features are there in each model.
I have been looking at MDZ-16AB, 3C, 3S etc. it is very confusing to understand which is predecessor of whom.

One comparison that i see here but is has completely different naming convention to understand
hxxp://attach.en.miui.com/forum/201412/03/225910cbuzbykhqtaqx7a7.png.thumb.jpg

Then there is one Mi Box which is avialable with SD card option, OTG option, which version is this?
hxxp://bdbazaar24.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/181046tub3kg5xvt8v28vv.jpg

Can someone please tell which version is the best? I plan to use it overseas and buy it in US.
Any other box that I should consider (I wish to have Google Cast functionality in that box)

Please help.

Top Liked Posts