FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Xiaomi MI Box (MDZ-16-AB) doesn't have an antenna. You can add one easily.

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By dr_vega, Junior Member on 21st April 2018, 05:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have two Mi Boxes. Both have lousy WiFi reception. I finally decided to open one up and see if I could re-position the antenna or replace it. To my surprise, there was no antenna. I opened my other Mi Box and it didn't have an antenna either. There is a little plug for the antenna, but the antenna itself is missing.

The antenna plug is the same one found in most laptops and WiFi cards, variously called an IPX, IPEX, or U.FL plug. You can buy antennas with this plug on ebay or Amazon for about $2. They come as little flags you can stick down or little pcb boards which can have 5dbi or more gain.

I got a couple of 8dbi gain pcb antennas. The can be positioned inside the Mi Box case, but I drilled a small hole and ran them outside where they are clear of the electronics and big steel heatsink and can be aimed at the router. No soldering, just open the Mi Box, take out the four screws that hold the motherboard. Slowly pull off the motherboard which is stuck to the heatsink, and then plug in the antenna. Simple.

My WiFi download speed has almost tripled from less than 10mbs to almost 30mbs. I get 20mbs even through my VPN. I now can stream 1080 HD movies on Netflix without stuttering or buffering.

Spend $2 and 15 minutes work and you won't hate your Mi Box anymore.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dr_vega For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dr_vega Ad-Free
21st April 2018, 05:43 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
Make sure the antenna will do 5ghz
I almost forgot, make sure you get an antenna that will work for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr_vega For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dr_vega Ad-Free
25th April 2018, 12:20 PM |#3  
Flag Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Sound intressting ... maybe you upload a photo of the antenna ? wich type ?
Thanks in advance Dr Vega

Greetings Phil from Belgium
30th April 2018, 02:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsor

Sound intressting ... maybe you upload a photo of the antenna ? wich type ?
Thanks in advance Dr Vega

Greetings Phil from Belgium

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aperture For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aperture Ad-Free
30th April 2018, 10:24 PM |#5  
Flag St louis
Thanks Meter: 127

More
Thanks for opening this up man!! Trying to make this thing last a bit longer, this will help. We will also have Oreo anyday now as more screen shots are being posted.
2nd May 2018, 04:31 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Could you show me the way to open the case, does it need heating or something else?
2nd May 2018, 06:14 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Opening the Mi Box case
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhai93

Could you show me the way to open the case, does it need heating or something else?

Yeah, it can be tough to open. There're no screws or anything, just the clips all around the edge. I started with a sharp knife to open a crack and then slid in a credit card and ran that around the edge to release the clips. One of those plastic thingies to open cell phones works even better than a credit card.
4th May 2018, 06:49 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_vega

Yeah, it can be tough to open. There're no screws or anything, just the clips all around the edge. I started with a sharp knife to open a crack and then slid in a credit card and ran that around the edge to release the clips. One of those plastic thingies to open cell phones works even better than a credit card.

Link the the antenna that you've bought please? I searched on ebay but there are many kinds of ipex connector
4th May 2018, 07:42 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhai93

Link the the antenna that you've bought please? I searched on ebay but there are many kinds of ipex connector

Something like this should work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-5G-5-8...8AAOSwAXZa2AJD
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr_vega For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dr_vega Ad-Free
5th May 2018, 06:38 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Something like this should work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-5G-5-8...8AAOSwAXZa2AJD

Thank you! Just bought one, will be arrived at the end of May
19th May 2018, 04:36 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

I have two Mi Boxes. Both have lousy WiFi reception. I finally decided to open one up and see if I could re-position the antenna or replace it. To my surprise, there was no antenna. I opened my other Mi Box and it didn't have an antenna either. There is a little plug for the antenna, but the antenna itself is missing.

The antenna plug is the same one found in most laptops and WiFi cards, variously called an IPX, IPEX, or U.FL plug. You can buy antennas with this plug on ebay or Amazon for about $2. They come as little flags you can stick down or little pcb boards which can have 5dbi or more gain.

I got a couple of 8dbi gain pcb antennas. The can be positioned inside the Mi Box case, but I drilled a small hole and ran them outside where they are clear of the electronics and big steel heatsink and can be aimed at the router. No soldering, just open the Mi Box, take out the four screws that hold the motherboard. Slowly pull off the motherboard which is stuck to the heatsink, and then plug in the antenna. Simple.

My WiFi download speed has almost tripled from less than 10mbs to almost 30mbs. I get 20mbs even through my VPN. I now can stream 1080 HD movies on Netflix without stuttering or buffering.

Spend $2 and 15 minutes work and you won't hate your Mi Box anymore.

Hi.
I have two MiBox and the connector is not the standard that is used for antennas. It is a Hirose MS-156C, usually used as a test point, so it is not possible to connect antennas with an IPEX connector.
Can you detail how you did it?
Thank you.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)