FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Cast MKV with subtitles and DVD files from network share

46 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By royduin, Member on 26th November 2016, 04:36 PM
Post Answer Email Thread
Hi guys,

Previously I'd all my videos on my Macbook and I was using Videostream to cast everything to my Chromecast (with the Videostream app on my Android phone as remote), that was working fine but didn't work with DVD files and my Macbook had to be on when I'd like to watch something.

Yesterday I came across a old 400GB SATA harddisk of mine so I thought: what if I connect that drive to my TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND router which does have a USB port and build-in network share and dnla/upnp support. So I've connected everything with a cheap sata/usb adapter from Ebay, connected the network share to my Macbook and PC and copied some videos to it.

I can't run any applications on my router like Videostream or Plex so I need a app on my Android phone which can stream from my network share to my Chromecast. I've searched around and tried Allcast and Localcast:
- Allcast, I can't find a way to access the network share.
- Localcast, works great through samba and dnla/upnp! But... I can't get subtitles working which are builtin my mkv video files. I didn't try dvd files yet.

Also I'm looking for a functionality which can keep track on what movies I've watched.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Add a Comment

2 Answers

29th January 2017, 03:08 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
0 Votes
try airflow app
royduin 29th January 2017, 08:00 PM
Airflow is only for music...
Add a Comment
28th February 2017, 06:45 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
0 Votes
Don't tested with Chromecast, but Bubbleupnp is a nice streaming app. Give it a try.

BubbleUpnp
Add a Comment
Post Answer Subscribe to Thread

Tags
allcast, chromecast, localcast, networkshare

Answer Question (no urls or BBcode)
This form is used to answer the question presented at the top of this thread. If you are asking a clarifying question or want to comment on an existing answer, please click on the comment button below that post.