Any chance at root?

866 posts
Thanks Meter: 346

By jukiewalsh, Senior Member on 29th September 2015, 10:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th October 2015, 09:19 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
I'm new to the chromecast. I've hooked it up and see it's trying to connect to a bunch of NTP servers (pool.ntp.org), and HTTPS servers: clients1.google.com, clients3.google.com, clients4.google.com, and clients.l.google.com. What's the URL of the update server? I'd like to actually use the chromecast 2015 but prevent it from updating itself.

8th October 2015, 04:39 PM |#12  
Long Island, NY
Thanks Meter: 434

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wian

I'm new to the chromecast. I've hooked it up and see it's trying to connect to a bunch of NTP servers (pool.ntp.org), and HTTPS servers: clients1.google.com, clients3.google.com, clients4.google.com, and clients.l.google.com. What's the URL of the update server? I'd like to actually use the chromecast 2015 but prevent it from updating itself.

It might just come with a minimal build that does nothing but update out of the box. You could hook it up to a wireless connection that has no internet connection (which I guess you might have already), and see what happens. Use wireshark to see what it's trying to do, ect.
8th October 2015, 07:58 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
I've been selectively blocking sites. I've found out that if you block dl.google.com, cache.pack.google.com and redirector.c.pack.google.com the Chromecast will start, set up, allow you to connect to it, but will not be able to download an update.

Unfortunately when I boot my chromecast, it is immediately saying that an update is required and won't let me use it.

Oh well, I'll leave it for the pro's. I want to use it, so I'll let it update now.
10th October 2015, 09:54 PM |#14  
Flag Thunder Bay, NW Ontario
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippernz

I would be interested in getting one as well if anyone knows of away apart from a US forwarder or inflated Ebay prices of about $69

Just paid $45.99 plus tax plus recycling fee

$52.82 total Cad from Staples
28th October 2015, 05:43 PM |#15  
Flag Somewhere in Holland.
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Doubts..Should i unpack, and use my cc 2015..or leave it in the package..waiting for root?
2nd November 2015, 01:32 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi.
How i can disable auto update firmware on my new chromecast(2015) now?
Firewall rule on my router maybe? Or just put device on the box and wait rootkit?
ps sorry my bad english.
14th November 2015, 08:08 AM |#17  

More
Any updates? Still ain't connected my Chromcast2 yet.
28th December 2015, 06:29 PM |#18  

More
My CC2 is still in the box unused.. :P
29th December 2015, 06:31 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 23

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietplezier

My CC2 is still in the box unused.. :P

I have a second one. One for the daily use and one for the future Root
29th December 2015, 07:48 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I got a new not updated chromecast 2015 version. I checked the device url at http 192.168.255.249/setup/eureka_info?options=detail :

build_version: 39166
cast_build_version: 1.15.39166

Interesting to see how hard it will be to root this device.
31st December 2015, 04:55 PM |#21  
Retired Senior Moderator - When red-headed people are above a certain social grade their hair is auburn
Flag Reading, UK
Thanks Meter: 6,987

More
CC2 is a fantastic device, I'd probably want to root mine but waiting and not unboxing is just silly really, we may never get root.

They're only £30 as well so just get another if you want root when it comes, should you need it in the state it came.
The Following User Says Thank You to matt4321 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift matt4321 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)