FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Use chromecast with 4G connection ? I have no secondary device with wifi

883 posts
Thanks Meter: 133

By blackinfinity, Senior Member on 18th April 2016, 07:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Yes I bought the chromecast V2 but I could never believe this stupid limitation that you can use it only with wifi conection which means you need a secondary device to make this work.
I have a fast and reliable 4G speed so I have no need to invest in any wifi solution.

I hope this is a joke ? must be some way around it ? (without root)

18th April 2016, 11:12 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 210

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackinfinity

Yes I bought the chromecast V2 but I could never believe this stupid limitation that you can use it only with wifi conection which means you need a secondary device to make this work.
I have a fast and reliable 4G speed so I have no need to invest in any wifi solution.

I hope this is a joke ? must be some way around it ? (without root)

Have you tried guest mode? I think that should do what you want..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
19th April 2016, 04:34 AM |#3  
I use mine every day with only my phone's LTE signal through its hotspot. The trick is you have to use another phone to set up the chromecast to connect to it initially. You only need to do this one time to get the chromecasts's settings set properly, and then just turn hotspot on on your phone, chromecast will see it and connect every time.

I think the chromecast app is the only one that requires wifi on before it will even attempt to look for a receiver, because in my experience, streaming apps like netflix, hbo, youtube and comedy central dont consider what radio connects to where at all before the cast icon pops up.

Something else you can do to get that initial setup done is to connect it to another wifi AP with the SSID and WPA2 password set to whatever you want your phone's hotspot to use. Im pretty sure the chromecast only look at the network name and security (not MAC or anything like that) becasue ive done this a few times without issue.
19th April 2016, 04:42 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndre

I use mine every day with only my phone's LTE signal through its hotspot. The trick is you have to use another phone to set up the chromecast top connect to it. You only need to do this one time to get the chromecasts's settings set properly, and then just turn hotspot on on your phone, chromecast will see it and connect every time.

I think the chromecast app is the only one that requires wifi on before it will even attempt to look for a receiver, because in my experience, streaming apps like netflix, hbo, youtube and comedy central dont consider what radio connects to where at all before the cast icon pops up.

Oh my god ? is this really true ? so you say you only need a wifi network ONE time ? to setup the chromecast and then I can use it with wifispot on my smartphone ?
This sound beyond stupid to me.

The problem is I have no secondary device I can do this with and I got no wifi network to connect to.

Must be some way around this some how if you only need to d this one time
19th April 2016, 05:02 AM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackinfinity

Oh my god ? is this really true ? so you say you only need a wifi network ONE time ? to setup the chromecast and then I can use it with wifispot on my smartphone ?
This sound beyond stupid to me.

The problem is I have no secondary device I can do this with and I got no wifi network to connect to.

Must be some way around this some how if you only need to d this one time

That's what I'm saying.
The reason it doesn't work setting it up that first time is because that process involves both Chromecast and phone using the app fsetting it up to first connect directly to each other, then both connect to the same AP, then talk to each other again for through that network, WITH internet access at the same time. That's really hard to switch radios around fast enough (not impossible though) and still get it to accept and keep the settings for good

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

Also, once you get it working, youll probanly want to use a laptop or something like that to be the device that you use to tell the Chromecast what to play... It works better that way, and you can to use your phone for other stuff while that's going on if you want. You can cast local media from a PC with way better results as well, using something like Plex or the Videostream plugin in Chrome
21st April 2016, 02:49 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 121

More
i am a little confused here, use another device to set up connection and then use your own device right after? how is that going to work if its two different connections?
22nd July 2016, 08:11 AM |#7  
Hamilton
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I just got chromecast and have no WiFi or hot spot but could take to a place to set it up but when I got back home could I use it to mirror my phone screen
5th August 2016, 07:50 PM |#8  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 199

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlovestim420

I just got chromecast and have no WiFi or hot spot but could take to a place to set it up but when I got back home could I use it to mirror my phone screen

get your phone to hotspot and connect that way. it doesn't need internet, just a active wifi network
18th September 2016, 10:04 AM |#9  
Adelaide
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I am also a bit confused. Could someone please spell it out step by step to idiots like me? Is there a link or YouTube video?
2nd December 2016, 08:33 PM |#10  
Hamilton
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manc01

I am also a bit confused. Could someone please spell it out step by step to idiots like me? Is there a link or YouTube video?

Are u needing help with the set-up process?
4th December 2016, 08:16 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
You need a 2nd local device to setup Chromecast.

1. Turn on cell phone hotspot (lets say name is Chase)

2. Connect 2nd device to Chase

3. Using 2nd device, setup your chromecast to connect to chase. TURN GUEST MODE ON

4. Once everything is set up and your chromecast is connected to Chase, you can use your smartphone running the hotspot to connect to the chromecast via the Pin. The 2nd device is no longer necessary.

Without something to connect the chromecast to the phone, I see no way to do it.

Side note, the pin feature can sometimes allow you to use your chromecast on hotel wifis that do not normally work.

---

OP, is there no where near you like a internet cafe, staples, library, anywhere that might have a computer with internet access with wifi? What about a smart phone shop like Verizon or Tmobile? Use one of their demo phones to do it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sfetaz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfetaz Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)