FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New chromecast value over old

218 posts
Thanks Meter: 28

By rbrenart, Senior Member on 15th December 2015, 02:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Curious if any one with the 2015 chromecast can speak to the advantages over the old for stability.

My old chromecast works fine for most things, but crashes after about 40-50photos in a Photos slideshow. It also chugs a lot playing some chromecast games (e.g. Game of Life Big Screen Edition).

Any one know if these are a factor of the Chromecast or the phone broadcasting to it? I'm tempted to upgrade during the $20 promotional credit, but don't want to waste $15 if it's for a lateral move.

15th December 2015, 04:48 AM |#2  
Flag Japan
Thanks Meter: 99

More
I have a modem with WiFi AC with 3 antennas, and definitely the new Chromecast is much faster in streaming for me,specially with youtube and Plex.

I still own both, but to be honest I don't see a huge difference, altought I bought the 2015 Chromecast to improve my signal as my modem is pretty far.

Bottom of the line for my point of view, unless you have a new generation modem, you won't see a huge change in performance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ExMM For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ExMM Ad-Free
15th December 2015, 06:20 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukinok25

Bottom of the line for my point of view, unless you have a new generation modem, you won't see a huge change in performance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The Chromecast 2015 has 5Ghz even if you don't have a router with AC it still is kinda a improvement since it's higher speed and less interference then the 2.4Ghz the Chromecast 2013 works on. (Only less range)
The Following User Says Thank You to RDDraco For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RDDraco Ad-Free
15th December 2015, 06:55 PM |#4  
Flag Japan
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDraco

The Chromecast 2015 has 5Ghz even if you don't have a router with AC it still is kinda a improvement since it's higher speed and less interference then the 2.4Ghz the Chromecast 2013 works on. (Only less range)

That is true.
15th December 2015, 07:48 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Conclusion:
If you never have had any network problem with old chromecast it is really pointless to replace with new one.

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk
21st December 2015, 08:44 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 25

Donate to Me
More
In my Opionion. The Chromecast 2 ist the best Streaming Stick so far. I had the FireTV Stick, Chromecast 1 and the ROKU HDMI Stick.

subjective Benefits:

- sharper, more detailed picture
- faster streaming, much faster buffering
- 5 Ghz ac
- 50Hz TV Support for Europe ( much less micro stuttering)

I enjoy the new Chromecast. and I hope Eureka bring us soon a custom rom with root.
23rd December 2015, 03:32 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Well, with the sale, $20 credit, and free movie offer.. I spent the $5 net and upgraded. I have to say, I'm confused as to all the "it's not a noticeable upgrade" comments from all the reviews.

We've definitely noticed the difference in both the wifi experience and the processor. The picture itself, not so much.
23rd December 2015, 04:25 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Also, my wife and I were trying to play the game of life big screen edition on the old Chromecast. All stutter and crashes. On the new one is smooth as silk, so if you're up for trying these new games finally coming out for Chromecast the upgrade is even more worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Free mobile app
23rd December 2015, 03:09 PM |#9  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 219

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrenart

Well, with the sale, $20 credit, and free movie offer.. I spent the $5 net and upgraded. I have to say, I'm confused as to all the "it's not a noticeable upgrade" comments from all the reviews.

We've definitely noticed the difference in both the wifi experience and the processor. The picture itself, not so much.

Can you post link for that deal offer? Thanks kd

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
23rd December 2015, 06:44 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonb

Can you post link for that deal offer? Thanks kd

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Which one, the $5 off was just a sale at Best Buy (but it's currently available from the play store too.) The $20 credit is an offer that shows up in the Chromecast a day or three after you activate it. The free movie shows up right away.

These are all US offers for me, not sure if they're international, but I think from your profile that you're in the US.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)