FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Any one post tear down and complete spec on New chromecast

27 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By mondenath, Junior Member on 4th October 2015, 02:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Can any one post the complete teardown and spec of new chromecast.

I was wondering what if the new HDMI CABLE LIKE FLAT BROKE OVER TIME WHEN PULLING IN AND OUT OF TV.

4th October 2015, 04:53 PM |#2  
Flag Finland
Thanks Meter: 429

More
Haven't run into any teardowns yet. First batches shipped this week, so I guess we'll see a teardown from someone next week, hopefully.

Oh yeah, I don't care much for the new flat flex cable either.
Of course when you're plugging it in or disconnecting it, hold it from it's connector instead of the cable. Duh.
I'll make a guess that if it does break and you're out of warranty, replacing it will be difficult and it's a whole another question if there will even be replacement cables available from anywhere.. Worst case scenario it's soldered straight to PCB..
But I think, whatever the case, if you're out of warranty then tough luck. At least it's relatively cheap.

When I get mine I'll use velcro to secure it behind my TV. Solves the dangling freely issue and I'll also use a separate (short) HDMI extension so I can keep it's own cable straight.
5th October 2015, 12:50 AM |#3  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja

Haven't run into any teardowns yet. First batches shipped this week, so I guess we'll see a teardown from someone next week, hopefully.

Oh yeah, I don't care much for the new flat flex cable either.
Of course when you're plugging it in or disconnecting it, hold it from it's connector instead of the cable. Duh.
I'll make a guess that if it does break and you're out of warranty, replacing it will be difficult and it's a whole another question if there will even be replacement cables available from anywhere.. Worst case scenario it's soldered straight to PCB..
But I think, whatever the case, if you're out of warranty then tough luck. At least it's relatively cheap.

When I get mine I'll use velcro to secure it behind my TV. Solves the dangling freely issue and I'll also use a separate (short) HDMI extension so I can keep it's own cable straight.

Next week? I already got mine at Best Buy. I was going to get the 1st gen since they were on sale, but came across the 2nd gen so I went with it. The cable seems pretty strong, and it magnetically clips on to the little Chromecast itself.
7th October 2015, 03:02 PM |#4  
Flag Bergen
Thanks Meter: 0

More
iFixit posted a teardown: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Chro...Teardown/50189

Quote:

Marvell Avastar 88W8887 VHT WLAN, Bluetooth, NFC and FM Receiver
Samsung K4B4G1646D-BY 4 Gb DDR3L SDRAM
Marvell Armada 88DE3006 1500 Mini Plus dual-core ARM Cortex-A7 media processor
Toshiba TC58NVG1S3H 2 Gb NAND Flash Memory
MRVL 21AA3 521GDT—likely Marvell Semiconductor DC-DC regulator

7th October 2015, 04:43 PM |#5  
Flag Finland
Thanks Meter: 429

More
Oh, wow. Guys, just take a look at that cable/connector solution!
Heavy solder on the connector and the connector bracket well bolted-down. As well as stress relief on the cable exterior which is held by the plastic body of the CC.

That's just awesome. Lovely design. Hats off to the guys who designed that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)