FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Apps for android to force a specific Hz/resolution for screen mirror 24/30p content

460 posts
Thanks Meter: 65

By Solace50, Senior Member on 8th February 2018, 12:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Currently TV's usually negotiate the appropriate refresh rate/resolution for the stream being cast to the tv such as with netflix. The TV will adjust to the content being played as I watch in the system settings showing the resolution/hz dynamically changing if the content changes (ex to AD's) and back.

However when using chromecast/miracast screen mirroring the device and not having the TV handle the stream to the media preventing the TV from seeing the content and operating at the appropriate settings. So far the only app ive seen is by chainfire TVHZ which appears to be outdated and only for android 5 since my tablet on 6 shows not compatible along with my sg8+ as well running nougat. I also tested the app on a tablet running android 5.0.1 and unfortunately it just attempts to force 60hz unfortunately along with 720p rather than 1080 or any other desired setting.

The reason for this is at 60fps/720p, the content has massive jitter, audio stutters and in rare events the audio desyncs to the point of no recovery. My laptop using chrome browser will force 30hz and will alleviate the issue a bit but this is a mere workaround and not even a solution as 24p content is more common and 30hz still has some minor kinks despite being much smoother.

Any information or links on how googles chromecast operates on a technical level would be appreciated, I may just try to write something myself as chainfire did but I would need to understand the basics of how the protocol works. What information is in a request/active cast stream etc... Or if something exists already being an app somewhere that would be nice too, however I have not found anything yet.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)