FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

BBC iplayer on chromecast outside UK

912 posts
Thanks Meter: 180

By tharmor, Senior Member on 14th January 2015, 03:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Folks,

I know there are threads out on XDA for this. But i need some workarounds or help.

I have BBC Iplayer working fine on my mobile using Hola outside UK. But problem arises when i cast the content to my chromecast. The content is not displayed although i get the BBC iplayer logo on my TV screen.

Can anyone help ?? I have a router which does not support iptables changes as suggested on some of the threads here on XDA !

Thanks in advance !

14th January 2015, 04:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Your router probably doesn't support a VPN either then, so you would need a DNS unblocking service with support for the BBC iPlayer, something like Unlocator or one of its many competitors. The Chromecast doesn't let you change the DNS manually, so you'll need to follow the directions provided by the DNS service for how to get the right DNS addresses from your router to the Chromecast. And you'll also need to block the Google DNS addresses in your router using the static route method in order to force the Chromecast to use the DNS addresses you provide.

If you can't be bothered to do all that, there are a couple of other alternatives:

You could just use tab-casting and put up with the slightly jerky video quality that usually produces on the Chromecast.

Or you could use an app like PlayOn or Plex to relay the BBC video stream from your computer to the Chromecast, but you'd still need a VPN or DNS service other than Hola on your computer since Hola is only a browser extension. BTW, be aware that using Hola is a privacy concern because they monitor your viewing habits and sell that information commercially. There are competitors like Zenmate and Proxmate who do not do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJames1 Ad-Free
15th January 2015, 10:03 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 180

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1

Your router probably doesn't support a VPN either then, so you would need a DNS unblocking service with support for the BBC iPlayer, something like Unlocator or one of its many competitors. The Chromecast doesn't let you change the DNS manually, so you'll need to follow the directions provided by the DNS service for how to get the right DNS addresses from your router to the Chromecast. And you'll also need to block the Google DNS addresses in your router using the static route method in order to force the Chromecast to use the DNS addresses you provide.

If you can't be bothered to do all that, there are a couple of other alternatives:

You could just use tab-casting and put up with the slightly jerky video quality that usually produces on the Chromecast.

Or you could use an app like PlayOn or Plex to relay the BBC video stream from your computer to the Chromecast, but you'd still need a VPN or DNS service other than Hola on your computer since Hola is only a browser extension. BTW, be aware that using Hola is a privacy concern because they monitor your viewing habits and sell that information commercially. There are competitors like Zenmate and Proxmate who do not do that.

I have a better optio...cast the screen...but was hoping to find something. efficient...thanks...
15th January 2015, 11:29 PM |#4  
Buy a new chromecast and root it before it connects to the internet, then just change the DNS on the chromecast.
14th March 2019, 07:05 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharmor

Folks,

I know there are threads out on XDA for this. But i need some workarounds or help.

I have BBC Iplayer to watch outside UK that working fine on my mobile using Hola. But problem arises when i cast the content to my chromecast. The content is not displayed although i get the BBC iplayer logo on my TV screen.

Can anyone help ?? I have a router which does not support iptables changes as suggested on some of the threads here on XDA !

Thanks in advance !

Google for UK Smart DNS to avoid such kind problem. It's easier and faster than vpn
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)