FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Cast without wifi or internet?

743 posts
Thanks Meter: 120

Post Reply Email Thread
Trying to set up something in my camper so that I can watch downloaded movies or shows from my phones. I have a Note 3 with android 5.0.2 and miracast seems to be broken? When the Note 3 had 4.4 it worked fine and I used a Sony dvd player that it worked with just fine. It "sees" the player but won't cast to it.
I have a Google Pixel XL that does not see the dvd player for some reason. I brought a wifi router into the camper and tried to set up a chromecast (Gen 1). I can get it set up but then neither device, when connected to same wifi, see the device so that I can cast to it. I am going to grab a Gen 2 model from home and see if this will work.

Is there a simpler way to make this work? It was so easy just using miracast and now this has turned into a massive headache.

8th August 2017, 09:41 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
If you have the Stock FW on the CC, please ensure, that guest mode is enabled (via Google home). In this case the CC provided an own Wifi net if needed.
9th August 2017, 02:28 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cedar Rapids
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad07

If you have the Stock FW on the CC, please ensure, that guest mode is enabled (via Google home). In this case the CC provided an own Wifi net if needed.

I've never been able to get the guest mode to work. It seems like no matter what the chromecast still needs an actual internet connection, even if only casting a movie/picture right from device.

So far what works for me but it's annoying. I have my actual Verizon phone turned on as hotspot, Set up the chromecast to connect to hotspot. I leave it up and running. My Note 3 has my movies on it so I connect to same hotspot and cast using Allcast app...I think. That's the only app that even seems to find the chromecast. Yes I have Google Home installed on both devices. If I turn off the hotspot Chromecast stops working. Neither device finds the chromecast after that unless I turn hotspot back on. Yes guest mode is turned on. A pin is never displayed but since devices don't see it it won't help anyway.

I had a spare wifi router and did the same test. Still need an actual data connection. If no data connection the devices do not see the Chromecast.

Technology is really frustrating at times. Miracast worked just fine until Google didn't like it and made the Chromecast. The Note 3 is old and close to being dead so I am not buying a MHL adapter for it nor will I buy a new tv that has something built in that does not seems to work either. Many other camping people are starting to run into this issue as well.
9th August 2017, 04:03 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
if you go in Google Home under your device, Settings, there is a possibility to switch the guest mode on. This means the CC works like a hot spot. Its written also on the screen. Every device, which is not in your network, could get an access. I don't know, at which time the guest mode will be disabled automatically. Maybe at this time, if you stream something over your own network to the CC.
26th September 2017, 03:31 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Hi,

I bought a cheap "MiraCast" dongle from eBay that works great. Less than $14 with shipping included from China. They list them as a "2nd Generation Chromecast 2" screen mirroring devices, a little misleading, but I'm happy with the unit, as it was brand new, in a very nice box I might add. If you need a link, then PM me, or reply here.
PS, they picture a Chromecast shape, but the lead with a Wi-Fi antenna is a giveaway. Here is a link to get you started, and actually is titled better than the one I bought, which is sold out. There are lots more like it at varying prices. https://m.ebay.com/itm/2-Digital-HDM....c100408.m2460
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cast, chromecast, miracast

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)