FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Chromecast Audio hardware alternative, with community ROMs

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By BloodyIron, Junior Member on 13th January 2019, 04:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey Folks,

So I just read the news. Chromecast Audio has been discontinued as a Google product, and I'm quite upset because I love it. I use mine every day.

I've been poking around the internet, and came across this section of XDA, and I'm honestly very pleased that someone has already not only dumped the ROMs from Chromecasts, but released rooted versions of it.

So I was wondering, since this is Linux at the core, is there any way we could build our own Chromecast Audio devices from other hardware and "Google Cast" to them like we normally do?

I'd prefer to just buy more Chromecast Audios, but at this point, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my grubby paws on them now, let alone when I want more in the future. So Google really is forcing my/our hands here.

Like, surely we could hack this onto a Raspbery Pi, or some other integrated system we could plug into a speaker, yes? It is Linux after all.

But hey, I'd love to hear from someone who knows more on this subject than me. Namely the lovely people in this forum.

Thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodyIron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BloodyIron Ad-Free

13th January 2019, 09:51 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
BTW had to get a mod's help (SacredDeviL666) to get this posted. For some reason it kept triggering spam checks whenever I tried to post (even though I was passing ReCaptcha). How odd.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)