Chromecast with Google TV Ethernet and USB Hub Questions

Search This thread

Cheesethief

Mar 8, 2012
Google Pixel 5a
This thing is pretty new, but has anyone been able to make it work with USB OTG ethernet adapters and hubs? Whenever I try the ones I have I end up on the error screen where it tells you to plug it into the wall instead of a TV USB port. I realize the ethernet adapter is available for pre-order, but that's $20 I would rather not spend when I have a few USB ethernet adapters laying around. Besides, it won't have USB ports.

Cheesethief

Mar 8, 2012
Google Pixel 5a
The reviews I have seen say you need a high-wattage adapter. The packaged one is not strong enough to use through a hub.

I saw those and it doesn't make much sense to me. This has to be an artificial limitation by Google to force people to use a wall wart instead of a TV USB port to avoid customer service headaches. I highly doubt this thing needs that much power to operate. I tried an old OnePlus Dash Charger (5V 4A output) with a simple powered OTG dongle and still got nothing.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
I saw those and it doesn't make much sense to me. This has to be an artificial limitation by Google to force people to use a wall wart instead of a TV USB port to avoid customer service headaches. I highly doubt this thing needs that much power to operate. I tried an old OnePlus Dash Charger (5V 4A output) with a simple powered OTG dongle and still got nothing.

Its looking for a power supply capable of delivering 1.5A of current.

The CPU in the thing is a QUAD-core Cortex-A55. Specifically, Amlogic S905X3. That's a pretty substantial CPU, so I don't think that 1.5A is that much of overkill. If you look at other tv boxes with the same CPU, you'll also see that they typically include 2A power supplies. In order to ensure that the power supply is capable of this, they are enforcing USB-PD profile 1 compliance.

Now USB-PD requires digital communication between the device and the power supply. If your "OnePlus Dash Charger" is not compliant with USB-PD, or if your "simple powered OTG dongle" blocks the communications, then the TV dongle will assume that you have it plugged into a standard 500 mA power adapter and complain to you about it being insufficient.

Oh, and the SoC itself has a TDP of 5W (1A at 5V). Add a few more parts like RAM and UFS and you can easily draw more than that, plus, you always want your power supply to have some room to spare -- not run it at its limits. That clearly puts you into 1.5A *MINIMUM* territory.
https://gadgetversus.com/processor/amlogic-s905x3-specs/

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

The reviews I have seen say you need a high-wattage adapter. The packaged one is not strong enough to use through a hub.

In order to prevent yourself from sounding like a doofus, a "watt" is a unit of POWER. So when you are talking about the adapter, use the words "high-POWER". "wattage" is very awkward.

Last edited:

Cheesethief

Mar 8, 2012
Google Pixel 5a

The CPU in the thing is a QUAD-core Cortex-A55. Specifically, Amlogic S905X3. That's a pretty substantial CPU, so I don't think that 1.5A is that much of overkill. If you look at other tv boxes with the same CPU, you'll also see that they typically include 2A power supplies. In order to ensure that the power supply is capable of this, they are enforcing USB-PD profile 1 compliance.

Now USB-PD requires digital communication between the device and the power supply. If your "OnePlus Dash Charger" is not compliant with USB-PD, or if your "simple powered OTG dongle" blocks the communications, then the TV dongle will assume that you have it plugged into a standard 500 mA power adapter and complain to you about it being insufficient.

Oh, and the SoC itself has a TDP of 5W (1A at 5V). Add a few more parts like RAM and UFS and you can easily draw more than that, plus, you always want your power supply to have some room to spare -- not run it at its limits. That clearly puts you into 1.5A *MINIMUM* territory.
https://gadgetversus.com/processor/amlogic-s905x3-specs/

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

In order to prevent yourself from sounding like a doofus, a "watt" is a unit of POWER. So when you are talking about the adapter, use the words "high-POWER". "wattage" is very awkward.
All well and good maybe, but PD Profile 1 basically states that the wall wart provided is not up to spec.

BUT, that's actually a good thing because this is not a PD device, period. I can prove that very simply now. I am using a 5v 3a barrel jack wall wart to power it via a hub.
Specifically this hub: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QN3YYXM/
And specifically this powersupply:
https://pine64.com/product/rock64-pinebook-pro-pine-h64-5v-3a-switching-power-supply/?v=0446c16e2e66
Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get it to pass data through.
Edit: I did buy the hub to test, but the Rock64 powersupply is one I've had for a few years because of my sbc hobby.

EDIT2: Further testing shows that using the included barrel jack to usb cable (that comes with the above hub) with the Google provided psu works just fine too. So no need to buy the barrell jack wall wart above. Still no data passthrough though. The hub works just fine on Windows.

From my understanding, it is not USB PD compliant, but it does do some sort of testing of the connected power adapter to make sure it can output enough power. My guess is that some adapters get in the way of the full output of the connected wall wart. Which doesn't surprise me.

Last edited:

binglejellsx2

Dec 29, 2009
I am using a hub too. This one specifically, which has ethernet built in:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FX2LW35

It works fine, and it's powered by a 6 port USB-A charging station (otherwise I'd have too many charging bricks in one spot):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q6DZBIQ

I haven't used the ethernet but I have other accessories connected, including a 400gb micro sd adopted as native storage. The more accessories you have connected to the hub, the more power you're going to want to have access to (ie the TV's USB port might not supply enough power).

Last edited:

dustbunny

May 2, 2007
I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7H3GJK/

It works fine with the google-supplied power brick plugged into the hub. Ethernet works as well, 1Gb (I think Google's adapter is only 100Mb) However, the activity light is Neuralyzer white. Also have seen reports that if you leave the hub powered and connected to your network without the chromecast, it will cause problems. Otherwise well built.

robojerk

Dec 22, 2010
I bought this one $12.99
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01COH17PS/
There was a comment saying it works, arrives tomorrow.. I'll update post if it really works.

Update
It works, just not with the power adapter that comes with the Chromecast with Google TV. I had to use a different one.

Attachments

• 61uprfPi07L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61uprfPi07L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 61IE62rCi2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61IE62rCi2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
St Paul, MN
Moto G6
OnePlus 6T
I bought this one $12.99
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01COH17PS/
There was a comment saying it works, arrives tomorrow.. I'll update post if it really works.
Mine arrives tomorrow as well... Any update? Did you need to use a different power supply? I am guessing it may depend on what you have plugged in. I am planning on just using a single flash drive for expanded app storage. I already have a networked drive for media.

robojerk

Dec 22, 2010
Mine arrives tomorrow as well... Any update? Did you need to use a different power supply? I am guessing it may depend on what you have plugged in. I am planning on just using a single flash drive for expanded app storage. I already have a networked drive for media.

It works but the power adapter that came with the new Chromecast with Google TV didn't work. Once I swapped it out with a more powerful one we're all good.

Hey there got got myself a usb hub for new chromecast too.
this hub
So far it works, but not the card readers.. Have to put the micro sd into an usb cardreader an plug it in the usb port of the hub to get the chromecast recognise the storage... Sucks yes
When booting i get this screen (dont know why upsidedown)
It will boot and behave normal, as long i dont attach any usb device.
It will also connect my microsoft bluetooth keyboard, which is pretty handy when you have to type something.

So i want to get an power supply that can provide enough power...
I dont know if its possible to overpower the chromecast and overheat, but i guess it is.
So do you think this
power supply
Would do the job?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20201110_192249438.jpg
    IMG_20201110_192249438.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 484

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Hey there got got myself a usb hub for new chromecast too.
this hub
So far it works, but not the card readers.. Have to put the micro sd into an usb cardreader an plug it in the usb port of the hub to get the chromecast recognise the storage... Sucks yes
When booting i get this screen (dont know why upsidedown)
It will boot and behave normal, as long i dont attach any usb device.
It will also connect my microsoft bluetooth keyboard, which is pretty handy when you have to type something.

So i want to get an power supply that can provide enough power...
I dont know if its possible to overpower the chromecast and overheat, but i guess it is.
So do you think this
power supply
Would do the job?

Cheers

Won't hurt it in any way, but seriously overkill. 60 watts is enough to run a laptop.

el_easy

Jun 17, 2012
XDA-Forum
Xiaomi Mi 9 SE
Hi, I've just received my new Cromecast with Google TV this.
Already I've managed to connect with this : https://www.amazon.de/-/nl/gp/product/B084G23KL5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power I get from my LG OLED TV USB port via a simple USB-A to USB-C cable.
Routing: LG OLED USB port --> USB Hub --> Chromecast (connected via PD output of hub).

Can you tell me if UNEEDE USB C Hub 8 in 1 works with default Chromecast power supply? Thanks

el_easy

Jun 17, 2012
XDA-Forum
Xiaomi Mi 9 SE
Yes. As I understand, if it happens to work, you could risk damaging your devices.
I asked ,because i ordered an ABLEWE USB C Hub 8 in 1 Typ C Hub and did not work : https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B07YZ4THMK/ref=pd_sbs_147_10?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07YZ4THMK&pd_rd_r=e2bc156d-56aa-4606-8dab-cdf0b3432474&pd_rd_w=3gzsc&pd_rd_wg=yDZuO&pf_rd_p=17269923-e95e-42b2-b8e1-f208b58f5815&pf_rd_r=87P69MVAPFG0JQEM0RN5&psc=1&refRID=87P69MVAPFG0JQEM0RN5

even with different power supply, thats why for my second try, Im very careful what to order.. if anyone can help to choose a proper USB C Hub that works with default Chromecast power supply from Amazon Germany , i will appreciated..Thanks

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
St Paul, MN
Moto G6
OnePlus 6T
I asked ,because i ordered an ABLEWE USB C Hub 8 in 1 Typ C Hub and did not work : https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B07YZ...FG0JQEM0RN5&psc=1&refRID=87P69MVAPFG0JQEM0RN5

even with different power supply, thats why for my second try, Im very careful what to order.. if anyone can help to choose a proper USB C Hub that works with default Chromecast power supply from Amazon Germany , i will appreciated..Thanks
It is not recommended to use the Chromecast power adapter with a USB hub, as it does not provide enough power.

Find a more powerful adapter.

This is the hub that I am using in the US:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01COJ0MDY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Yes. As I understand, if it happens to work, you could risk damaging your devices.

You won't damage your device. Don't spread this kind of nonsense.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

I asked ,because i ordered an ABLEWE USB C Hub 8 in 1 Typ C Hub and did not work even with different power supply, thats why for my second try, Im very careful what to order.. if anyone can help to choose a proper USB C Hub that works with default Chromecast power supply from Amazon Germany , i will appreciated..Thanks

That should work. What are the details on the second power adapter you tried? The 1.5A adapter these CC's are shipped with are pretty marginal for the power demands. You probably want something that can feed 3A or more at 5V. And remember that Chinese labels are often lies, so even if it says 3A, it could be 0.5A.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your guys' options are spendy. I got it done with this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C5FWQND/

You can plug any old hub into it you have laying around and it'll (probably) work.
    Hi all,
    I have a 8 in 1 Hub, purchased a month or ago.

1. Firstly works perfectly on my new ACER Laptop via USB C port, using a 60W PD Charger, charges the Laptop fully in same time as the charger supplied, so PD charging works.
    2. Next I connected Portable 1TB, 2TB & 3TB HDD, as well as 1TB SSD all Toshiba brand. So these are ALL recognized, can both Read and Write to & from Internal Laptop SSD. Also whilst charging as well. Can connect 2 external HDD, plugged into 2 USB3 ports of the Hub.
    Working Perfectly thru the Thunderbolt 3 PD port with my 60W PD and Hub's USB C Cable plugged into the Acer Laptop USB PD port.
    Therefore. Hub can provide Power and Transfer Data simultaneously.
    Great so far.
    3. Next I tried USB Flash Drives various capacity 8, 16, 32, & 128GB. Formatted as NTFS, FAT32, EXFat. USB 2 or 3. ALL Work successfully Transferring R/W data in any combination, HDD, SSD and any Flash Drive connected to Hub.
    4. Next tried SD and microSD ports, again working perfectly.
    5. Then tried Hub's HDMI connected to a TV and played videos stored on HDD, SSD, or Flash Drives. ALL Work.
    6. Last test was Ethernet connection in Hub. Transferred D/L @ 50Mb/S, U/L @ 20Mb/s. Direct connected to Router using cat 6 cable.
    Similar results compared to PC DATA Transfer rates Direct to Laptop's Ethernet port.

Conclusion this USB C HUB WORKS.

7. Next Test I repeated Same Tests connecting Hub to my Samsung S8 phone. ALL Passed.
    8. Repeated Same Tests connected to Samsung S4 TABLET, both have USB C port. ALL Successful. Charging and Data Transfer.

After ALL these Tests:- Conclusion this "8 in 1" Hub Works Perfectly. NO Issues.
    Another Bonus stays COOL, due to Aluminium case.

9. After this extensive testing. I connected the Hub to my ChromeCast Google TV device.
    Just using a couple of Flash Drives connected. 32 GB FAT32 in USB3 port. Another 128 GB ExFAT in the other USB3 port of the Hub.