FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Chromecast Offscreen Rendering?

19 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By gudenau, Junior Member on 9th July 2017, 01:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I was developing some software for Chromecast when I discovered that it is only 720p, even on the Ultra model. So I decided to look into offscreen rendering on Android, which is possible. But I haven't been able to quite figure out how I could make a phone render an image and then send it to the Chromecast. All the streaming protocols it seems to support require some crazy backed server setup with tons of files, am I missing something stupid or is it just a pain?

9th July 2017, 09:00 AM |#2  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 575

More
Have you looked into UPnP?
I believe it is pretty simple. I tried to do something similar in the past, but the (old) phone on which I tried to set it up kept crashing.
If it's for personal use, you can use BubbleUPnP. It's good.
9th July 2017, 04:52 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis1608

Have you looked into UPnP?
I believe it is pretty simple. I tried to do something similar in the past, but the (old) phone on which I tried to set it up kept crashing.
If it's for personal use, you can use BubbleUPnP. It's good.

I thought that was only for port forwarding, if I could make something use that to stream to a Chromecast that would be great.

What would I need to do on the computer/phone and on the Chromecast receiver to make this work?

This would be aimed for a real release, so using another app wouldn't fly in my opinion.
9th July 2017, 07:44 PM |#4  
Flag Athens

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudenau

I thought that was only for port forwarding, if I could make something use that to stream to a Chromecast that would be great.

What would I need to do on the computer/phone and on the Chromecast receiver to make this work?

This would be aimed for a real release, so using another app wouldn't fly in my opinion.

Chromecast is UPnP-ready, I believe. So, you won't have to do anything on it.

I don't really know what you have to do on the PC/phone, since I have only tried it with that app.
But, I believe UPnP might be the protocol you need. Look into it.
11th July 2017, 02:15 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis1608

Chromecast is UPnP-ready, I believe. So, you won't have to do anything on it.

I don't really know what you have to do on the PC/phone, since I have only tried it with that app.
But, I believe UPnP might be the protocol you need. Look into it.

I'm not finding anything other than software packages that are for streaming video files. I am not finding any info on how to actually program a streamer.
11th July 2017, 10:04 PM |#6  
Flag Athens

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudenau

I'm not finding anything other than software packages that are for streaming video files. I am not finding any info on how to actually program a streamer.

Sadly, I can't help you with that.
I've only tried it with that app.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)