Ethernet Adaptor for original and new Chromecasts - from Ugreen - what a difference!

Search This thread

GeekyTim

Mar 13, 2017
I don't know whether any of you know, but UGreen have just bought out an Ethernet adaptor for the original and new Chromecasts, and what a difference it makes! Despite not being too far from my WiFi router, I was really having stuttering problems with my original Chromecast in my garden office; it really shouldn't have 'cos the signal was good, but I think I was getting interference from the laser cutter and 3D printer running at the same time. Electrical noise really doesn't help with streaming via WiFi.

Anyway, I've been looking for a way to improve it for a while, until I came across this new cable. You plug in the microUSB to the Chromecast as usual, and the other end to the power, and the third 'end' (!) has an ethernet port! Worked first time! I was expecting to have to reset the device so that it would use ethernet in preference, but nope, it defaulted to the Ethernet connection. Now streaming is flawless!

Thoroughly recommend this if you've got the same problem.

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ1
Google Pixel 2
Google USB Ethernet adapter for the Chromecast

I don't know whether any of you know, but UGreen have just bought out an Ethernet adaptor for the original and new Chromecasts, and what a difference it makes!

Why not use the original Google USB Ethernet adapter for the Chromecast (for $15, cable length: 2 meters, power supply inlcuded!)?

Which UGreen adapter do you use? Please post a link.
Edit: UGREEN Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast with Micro USB to RJ 45 Ethernet Adater for Chromecast with Power Supply (for $14.99, cable length: 1 meter, power supply NOT inlcuded!)

Last edited:

KaffeMyers

Dec 4, 2012
(for $14.99, cable length: 1 meter, power supply NOT inlcuded!)

Power supply not included, but my guess is that you can power it up via the TV's usb port? Which actually is a selling point, if that works. I power my Chromecast with a usb connected to the TV, and feel that it's a bit "meh" having to plug it in to an actual power socket, when I have a perfectly good (less clunky) alternative.

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ1
Google Pixel 2