FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How will mirroring look with the 18:9 aspect ratio of the G6 and S8?

72 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By lazyn00b, Member on 7th March 2017, 07:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I would like to buy either the upcoming LG G6 or Samsung S8, but I'm afraid of how Chromecast mirroring will work with these new phones. Both phones have an ultra wide aspect ratio of roughly 18:9 in landscape mode, which would result in black bars on the top and bottom if mirrored directly to a standard 16:9 TV. What I'm *hoping" to learn is if the Chromecast app is smart enough to lop off the portion of the phone display that contains the nav buttons, which would conveniently leave a roughly 16:9 area to be mirrored.

Anybody know how this is going to work, and whether there are any workarounds to get mirrored images to fill the entire display area of a 16:9 TV?

13th March 2017, 10:26 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
"SecondScreen" - App for better mirroring of rooted devices
If you have a 16:9 TV and want to mirror the display of Android device which has a 18:9 ratio, use this app the app "SecondScreen" (https://www.xda-developers.com/cast-...second-screen/) to set the resolution to 16:9 before casting to the Chromcast.

"Second Screen aims at providing you with a way to properly cast your screen so that it looks is best whenever you are showing it off to your friends and family. It does so by allowing for a user selectable resolution and even DPI in order to take full advantage of your TV."
19th March 2017, 04:59 PM |#3  
Flag Alhama de Murcia
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
UI Tuner
Pretty sure the manufacturers of those 18:9 2:1 PoSes will have this well sorted out, or at least they should.
It's already crappy enough to browse internet sh1te in 16:9 landscape with all of those squatter bars you can usually find in lots websh1tes (including THIS ONE, ffs).
Alternatively, you can select a more standardized 16:9 resolution via UI Tuner and then cast the screen.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)