FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How can I return to stock OS?

420 posts
Thanks Meter: 543

By Ramis, Senior Member on 12th September 2015, 05:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey Guys,

I've been using Eureka rom for a while now and I realised that I don't actually need any features from it anymore now that Netflix is available in my region.

I looked around and I couldn't find any guides on how to restore my Chromecast to stock so I was wondering if anyone knows how it can be done?

Any help?

12th September 2015, 09:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramis

Hey Guys,

I've been using Eureka rom for a while now and I realised that I don't actually need any features from it anymore now that Netflix is available in my region.

I looked around and I couldn't find any guides on how to restore my Chromecast to stock so I was wondering if anyone knows how it can be done?

Any help?

I'd really like to know this also.
14th September 2015, 05:46 AM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,023

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramis

You may want to consider using the Stock OS with updates disabled version, as that version does preserve the bootloader vulnerability, so you can still use FlashCast to flash a new ROM later. In fact, you will have to since Google OTA updates (which would patch the bootloader vulnerability) are disabled and there are no automatic ROM updates like with Eureka-ROM.

If you still want to return to true stock, consider trading with someone who wants a rooted device. Rootable devices are more and more difficult to find nowadays, so you could help out someone who really does want/need a rooted Chromecast.

Otherwise, PM one of the Team Eureka members and they can provide you a true stock ROM to flash. The reason why the ROM is not publicly available is because it is a one-way trip - once you return to stock, you cannot get root back as the HubCap vulnerability will be patched. It's far too likely that someone will accidentally (and permanently) unroot their Chromecast and be upset.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
14th September 2015, 09:06 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Auckland

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

You may want to consider using the Stock OS with updates disabled version, as that version does preserve the bootloader vulnerability, so you can still use FlashCast to flash a new ROM later. In fact, you will have to since Google OTA updates (which would patch the bootloader vulnerability) are disabled and there are no automatic ROM updates like with Eureka-ROM.

If you still want to return to true stock, consider trading with someone who wants a rooted device. Rootable devices are more and more difficult to find nowadays, so you could help out someone who really does want/need a rooted Chromecast.

Otherwise, PM one of the Team Eureka members and they can provide you a true stock ROM to flash. The reason why the ROM is not publicly available is because it is a one-way trip - once you return to stock, you cannot get root back as the HubCap vulnerability will be patched. It's far too likely that someone will accidentally (and permanently) unroot their Chromecast and be upset.

Awesome thanks for the help.

I'll try selling it on ebay or something first, otherwise I'll ask someone from Team Eureka for a fully stock rom.

(p.s. if anyone wants a rooted chromecast let me know. )
18th September 2015, 06:06 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 263

More
Chromecast root is becoming increasingly useless, if you want I can PM you link to stock-revert_eureka_image.zip
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mathorv For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mathorv Ad-Free
22nd September 2015, 08:41 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Auckland

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathorv

Chromecast root is becoming increasingly useless, if you want I can PM you link to stock-revert_eureka_image.zip

Hey could you please PM me a link to stock OS?
30th September 2015, 06:14 PM |#7  
Flag NoVA
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Quote:

Can you pm me the link as well. I'd like to flash one of my spare chromecasts back to stock (though I hope somebody comes forward to make a rooted update...).
30th September 2015, 08:54 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:

Can you PM me a link as well? Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
1st October 2015, 09:00 PM |#9  
Flag Muscat
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:

PM me the link too please .
2nd October 2015, 11:20 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 263

More
Sent to all of you as requested.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mathorv For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mathorv Ad-Free
3rd October 2015, 12:04 AM |#11  
Flag Southport
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

Sent to all of you as requested.

Can I get on that list? I would also like to go back to stock.

Thanks!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)