Thanks Meter: 543

By Ramis, Senior Member on 12th September 2015, 05:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th April 2017, 02:09 AM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 372

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biff6789

Sure thing, happy to help. 3 of my chromecasts got taken out with the bad update and I spent a bit of time this afternoon using that method I posted to get back just fine. Root's gone but I don't need it anymore.

The build it came back out with was 220XX... can't remember the XX and, even though I think it's right, the 0 is questionable too. But I know for sure it was 22-something. But that's an unpatched build so the second Google updates your chromecast with that build it will roll you up and shut the door on root forever.

Got it....So it's old but right after Google patched the Teensy hack...
If it was a version before 16x it might have been possible to root newer CCasts by flashing this older version but not going to happen. Unless it requires root to flash in the first place...Anyway just a passing thought.

Just to be clear...You really only had to reformat the jump drive on the first unit, you probably could skip all that on the 2nd and 3rd and go straight to plugging into the next unit with the powered OTG and letting it flash.
Or am I mistaken on that?

30th April 2017, 02:41 AM |#62  
Thanks Meter: 231

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

Got it....So it's old but right after Google patched the Teensy hack...
If it was a version before 16x it might have been possible to root newer CCasts by flashing this older version but not going to happen. Unless it requires root to flash in the first place...Anyway just a passing thought.

Just to be clear...You really only had to reformat the jump drive on the first unit, you probably could skip all that on the 2nd and 3rd and go straight to plugging into the next unit with the powered OTG and letting it flash.
Or am I mistaken on that?

You need to reformat the flash drive and start the entire process over for each chromecast. The flash drive changes during the process and if you skip steps it won't work on the next one. Do one chromecast start to finish, then start the process over completely and move on to the next.
The Following User Says Thank You to biff6789 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift biff6789 Ad-Free
30th April 2017, 03:06 AM |#63  

More
Quote:

You need to reformat the flash drive and start the entire process over for each chromecast. The flash drive changes during the process and if you skip steps it won't work on the next one. Do one chromecast start to finish, then start the process over completely and move on to the next.

Really? I could understand it erasing the drive but not the format...Anyway thanks for the heads up!
7th May 2017, 08:37 AM |#64  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
It worked flawlessly for me! Thank you!

Quote:

I've got you lads covered.

Here is the "back to stock" zip image. Note: This is a one-way road which will PERMANENTLY remove root forever with no way back. But it seems these days that having root on the Chromecast is more hassle and trouble than just rolling stock anyway:

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/6d9333oy/file.html (if multiple download buttons appear, you want the big orange one toward the top right)

11th May 2017, 06:51 AM |#65  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
I found a chromecast I bought before (refurb Groupon from a few years back) and see it's firmware 15098. so, it's still rootable by hubcap. From what I've been reading, not much point to root anymore? I can order a teensy clone (very cheap) and otg and root it.. but just wondering if there are any more compelling reasons to do so?

I only plan to stream local media (from laptop/phone) to tv.. nothing else. Don't even watch netflix (don't have account).

Should I just let it update to latest official and forget about root too?
11th May 2017, 06:46 PM |#66  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strifej

I found a chromecast I bought before (refurb Groupon from a few years back) and see it's firmware 15098. so, it's still rootable by hubcap. From what I've been reading, not much point to root anymore? I can order a teensy clone (very cheap) and otg and root it.. but just wondering if there are any more compelling reasons to do so?

I only plan to stream local media (from laptop/phone) to tv.. nothing else. Don't even watch netflix (don't have account).

I replied in the other thread so I'll just shortly review...

I would just hold onto it and wait a bit...Don't power it up or connect it to the Network at all.

Sure there is no real advantage to root as we speak but that can change and since you have a rarity of unit that actually is still rootable you might want to just wait until the autoroot situation clears.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Asphyx Ad-Free
11th May 2017, 08:27 PM |#67  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strifej

Entirely up to you, but the way I view it is that if you root it then you own it. If you let it update to a locked bootloader then it's Google's.

Maybe you'll decide you want to hook up some internet-of-things devices around your house and have their status displayed on the idle screen. You could do that with root.

Maybe someone will make it so you can cast links directly from some of the plugins for Kodi. Those apps won't be whitelisted by Google, but you could run them.

Maybe you want to easily route your DNS or traffic through a third-party.

Maybe Google stops updating it someday, and you decide to re-purpose it as a video or audio streaming device in your vehicle.

Also if you want to save a few dollars in rooting it, any atmega32u4 board should work. They can be picked up for around $3 (https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-atmega32u4.html). You just have to use a different .hex file. The instructions are in this page:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=908

(If you haven't worked with this boards, and have a low tolerance for trying things, then maybe go with the official build)
The Following User Says Thank You to KenMacD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KenMacD Ad-Free
12th May 2017, 04:28 AM |#68  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMacD

Entirely up to you, but the way I view it is that if you root it then you own it. If you let it update to a locked bootloader then it's Google's.

Maybe you'll decide you want to hook up some internet-of-things devices around your house and have their status displayed on the idle screen. You could do that with root.

Maybe someone will make it so you can cast links directly from some of the plugins for Kodi. Those apps won't be whitelisted by Google, but you could run them.

Maybe you want to easily route your DNS or traffic through a third-party.

Maybe Google stops updating it someday, and you decide to re-purpose it as a video or audio streaming device in your vehicle.

Also if you want to save a few dollars in rooting it, any atmega32u4 board should work. They can be picked up for around $3 (https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-atmega32u4.html). You just have to use a different .hex file. The instructions are in this page:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=908

(If you haven't worked with this boards, and have a low tolerance for trying things, then maybe go with the official build)

I live in Asia, so was going to get one of those cheap atmega32u4 boards for 2-3 USD. Since a few of you have said to give it a go and see what happens, I'll do that. Being in asia, shipping is fast.. a few days.
20th May 2017, 04:55 AM |#69  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Smart DNS doesn't seem to work with the Chromecast any more, which was the number one reason to root. The most recent update has also broken whatever was done to workaround the problem where the chromecast would not complete booting up. So unfortunately it appears that rooting has become a mostly academic exercise.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)