Post Reply Email Thread
19th June 2017, 11:44 AM |#71  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biff6789

I've got you lads covered.

Here is the "back to stock" zip image. Note: This is a one-way road which will PERMANENTLY remove root forever with no way back. But it seems these days that having root on the Chromecast is more hassle and trouble than just rolling stock anyway:

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/6d9333oy/file.html (if multiple download buttons appear, you want the big orange one toward the top right)

All you need to do to get back is follow the same procedure you used to gain root (meaning you will need your powered OTG cable again). Use this short and clear video guide to walk you through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6c34jqFHxY

Download the files he links in the description of that guide and follow the full procedure with one exception: When you get to 3:20 in the video, rather than use the zip file he provides, use mine linked above instead (it's perfectly safe and was sent to me a while back by ddggttff3 himself). Make sure you rename my linked zip exactly to eureka_image.zip just like in the video. Repeat the FULL procedure for any additional chromecasts you want to unroot.

Once you get through the setup and fully booted up you will be on a really old version of the chromecast software. Depending on your internet speed, just leave it on and after a while Google will update it behind the scenes automatically. Then, once you reboot it again, you should be on the working latest chromecast software version without the root shenanigans.

Good luck!

PS - If your chromecast is taking forever to pull an update and isn't able to cast because of it, you can typically force an update by doing the following:

1) Download and install Git for Windows: https://git-scm.com/download/win
2) Open Git Bash
3) Paste the following text in a notepad or document: curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"params": "ota foreground"}' http://192.168.1.100:8008/setup/reboot -v
4) Replace the numbers after http:// with the EXACT IP address of your chromecast (which can be found if you open the Google Home app on your phone and selecting your chromecast and going into settings, then look at the very bottom). Leave the :8008 at the end after the IP address. Highlight all this text and copy it
5) Go back to Git Bash you opened earlier and right click then hit paste, then hit enter
6) You should see a bunch of quick text in Git Bash then your chromecast screen should begin the update animation
7) Let it sit for a few minutes and see if it starts and if it does then let it finish. If it gets stuck at 0% then either reboot the chromecast by pulling the plug, or by rebooting via the Google Home app and that should kick off the update once it starts to boot back up

Hi guys, also trying to get back to stock. Tried Flashcast v1.1.1 and 1.3. I can get to a blank FLASHCAST drive, but then i cant get the stock eureka_image.zip to flash, simply get a red light on the chromecast.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

19th June 2017, 12:37 PM |#72  
Flag DFW
Thanks Meter: 3,278

Donate to Me
More
How can I return to stock OS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwings2008

Hi guys, also trying to get back to stock. Tried Flashcast v1.1.1 and 1.3 . . . .

Any suggestions?

Can't be certain, but if you have a red LED, you should be able to SSH in to your CC with root / letmein. Obviously you can unpack the zip and scp the files to /tmp as well. Then just run the commands in the install.sh file by hand.

I don't see why that would not suffice. In fact, I suspect that anyone wanting to go back to stock can unplug / plug in the CC during its boot a few times, which will confuse it and you will be at the same spot (red LED, which is in recovery thinking there is an update), then do the same as above.

Just beware, I have not done the above, as I have no intention of unrooting, but the recovery has all the relevant tools for the installer.sh commands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to tdhite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tdhite Ad-Free
19th June 2017, 01:07 PM |#73  
Flag Birmingham

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhite

Can't be certain, but if you have a red LED, you should be able to SSH in to your CC with root / letmein. Obviously you can unpack the zip and scp the files to /tmp as well. Then just run the commands in the install.sh file by hand.

I don't see why that would not suffice. In fact, I suspect that anyone wanting to go back to stock can unplug / plug in the CC during its boot a few times, which will confuse it and you will be at the same spot (red LED, which is in recovery thinking there is an update), then do the same as above.

Just beware, I have not done the above, as I have no intention of unrooting, but the recovery has all the relevant tools for the installer.sh commands.

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get the files over to a tmp folder using WinSCP, and there are 4 files, boot.img, imager.sh, recovery.img and system.img

Please can you help me with the how to install them and what commands to use....

Thanks
19th June 2017, 01:26 PM |#74  
Flag DFW

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get the files over to a tmp folder using WinSCP, and there are 4 files, boot.img, imager.sh, recovery.img and system.img

Please can you help me with the how to install them and what commands to use....

Thanks

Look in imager.sh (I mistakenly referenced that above). Run "cat imager.sh".

Again, I have not done it so whatever you do, you do at your own risk, intelligently and knowingly.

If you want to wait, next weekend I can experiment on the above. I would not reboot myself, rather would re-flash the rooted code before rebooting, but at least I could verify what takes place from a general 'run' perspective. I do a lot of kernel/ROM work so am probably a bit more comfortable with flash testing. I simply don't see a reason it won't work, but that is just me.

19th June 2017, 01:39 PM |#75  
Flag Birmingham

More
Quote:

Look in imager.sh (I mistakenly referenced that above). Run "cat imager.sh".

Again, I have not done it so whatever you do, you do at your own risk, intelligently and knowingly.

If you want to wait, next weekend I can experiment on the above. I would not reboot myself, rather would re-flash the rooted code before rebooting, but at least I could verify what takes place from a general 'run' perspective. I do a lot of kernel/ROM work so am probably a bit more comfortable with flash testing. I simply don't see a reason it won't work, but that is just me.

I'm prepared to chance fixing this chromecast, if it doesnt work ill go and get a new one as this one has been well used. Using the 'cat imager.sh' command the following comes up on screen:

# First we flash the kernel
log "Flashing Kernel..."
flash_mtd_partition 'kernel' ./boot.img

# Next we flash recovery
log "Flashing Recovery..."
flash_mtd_partition 'recovery' ./recovery.img

# Then we flash the system
log "Flashing System..."
flash_mtd_partition 'rootfs' ./system.img

# Erase data to do a full reset
log "Wiping Data..."
clear_data

log "Done!"
19th June 2017, 01:51 PM |#76  
Flag DFW

Donate to Me
More
How can I return to stock OS?
Quote:

I'm prepared to chance fixing this chromecast, if it doesnt work ill go and get a new one . . . .

If all the .img files are in /tmp and as well the imager.sh is there, you can just do this:

Code:
cd /tmp
chmod 777 imager.sh
./imager.sh
sync
Verify it is really all in /tmp before that.

Also, if you just want to run it all by hand, it is the flash_mtd_partition and clear_data commands you would run. Then, obviously, reboot and cross fingers.

Like I said, do as you please, I am happy to verify next weekend if you are in no rush.

The Following User Says Thank You to tdhite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tdhite Ad-Free
19th June 2017, 02:11 PM |#77  
Flag Birmingham

More
Quote:

If all the .img files are in /tmp and as well the imager.sh is there, you can just do this:

Code:
cd /tmp
chmod 777 imager.sh
./imager.sh
sync

Also, if you just want to run it all by hand, it is the flash_mtd_partition and clear_data commands you would run. Then, obviously, reboot and cross fingers.

Like I said, do as you please, I am happy to verify next weekend if you are in no rush.

Just getting the following when I execute that command:

./imager.sh: line 4: log: command not found
./imager.sh: line 5: flash_mtd_partition: command not found
./imager.sh: line 8: log: command not found
./imager.sh: line 9: flash_mtd_partition: command not found
./imager.sh: line 12: log: command not found
./imager.sh: line 13: flash_mtd_partition: command not found
./imager.sh: line 16: log: command not found
./imager.sh: line 17: clear_data: command not found
./imager.sh: line 19: log: command not found

Thank you for your time assisting me with this

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Quote:

Code:
cd /tmp
chmod 777 imager.sh
./imager.sh
sync

All sorted now and back to stock. Thanks for the help. The imager.sh file was not working correctly, but by using the commands directly with putty I'm not back to stock.

Thanks again
19th June 2017, 02:11 PM |#78  
Flag DFW

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Just getting the following when I execute that command:

./imager.sh: line 4: log: command not found

./imager.sh: line 5: flash_mtd_partition: command not found

./imager.sh: line 8: log: command not found

./imager.sh: line 9: flash_mtd_partition: command not found

./imager.sh: line 12: log: command not found

./imager.sh: line 13: flash_mtd_partition: command not found

./imager.sh: line 16: log: command not found

./imager.sh: line 17: clear_data: command not found

./imager.sh: line 19: log: command not found

Thank you for your time assisting me with this

Ok, that tells me you are not actually booted to a recovery. Can you tell me what is on the display, I want to see it showing the flashcast updating screen. If it is, I will yank up a recovery boot and tell you where those commands are (but they should be on the path in recovery).

19th June 2017, 02:22 PM |#79  
Flag Birmingham

More
Thanks @tdhite now back to stock and all working fine. Just used the raw commands rather than using the imager.sh file which seems to be incorrect. Back to stock and happy. Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to silverwings2008 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift silverwings2008 Ad-Free
15th July 2017, 07:51 PM |#80  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

Ok, that tells me you are not actually booted to a recovery. Can you tell me what is on the display, I want to see it showing the flashcast updating screen. If it is, I will yank up a recovery boot and tell you where those commands are (but they should be on the path in recovery).

Could you DM me the ROM to flash back to stock? I tried the link above in the thread but it seems to not work anymore. The big orange button asks to install a Chrome extension but it doesn't install for me and a bunch of dialog windows keep popping up.
31st July 2017, 06:04 AM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
please look into this thread and my last 2 Postings
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...stock-t3648210
Here you can find also the link to download the needed stock file (only valid for 30 days) and for sure a link to a video
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)