How can I return to stock OS?

Search This thread

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Sure thing, happy to help. 3 of my chromecasts got taken out with the bad update and I spent a bit of time this afternoon using that method I posted to get back just fine. Root's gone but I don't need it anymore.

The build it came back out with was 220XX... can't remember the XX and, even though I think it's right, the 0 is questionable too. But I know for sure it was 22-something. But that's an unpatched build so the second Google updates your chromecast with that build it will roll you up and shut the door on root forever.

Got it....So it's old but right after Google patched the Teensy hack...
If it was a version before 16x it might have been possible to root newer CCasts by flashing this older version but not going to happen. Unless it requires root to flash in the first place...Anyway just a passing thought.

Just to be clear...You really only had to reformat the jump drive on the first unit, you probably could skip all that on the 2nd and 3rd and go straight to plugging into the next unit with the powered OTG and letting it flash.
Or am I mistaken on that?

biff6789

Mar 8, 2009
Got it....So it's old but right after Google patched the Teensy hack...
If it was a version before 16x it might have been possible to root newer CCasts by flashing this older version but not going to happen. Unless it requires root to flash in the first place...Anyway just a passing thought.

Just to be clear...You really only had to reformat the jump drive on the first unit, you probably could skip all that on the 2nd and 3rd and go straight to plugging into the next unit with the powered OTG and letting it flash.
Or am I mistaken on that?

You need to reformat the flash drive and start the entire process over for each chromecast. The flash drive changes during the process and if you skip steps it won't work on the next one. Do one chromecast start to finish, then start the process over completely and move on to the next.

Reactions: Asphyx

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
You need to reformat the flash drive and start the entire process over for each chromecast. The flash drive changes during the process and if you skip steps it won't work on the next one. Do one chromecast start to finish, then start the process over completely and move on to the next.

Really? I could understand it erasing the drive but not the format...Anyway thanks for the heads up!

adfadfadf

Oct 28, 2012
It worked flawlessly for me! Thank you!

I've got you lads covered.

Here is the "back to stock" zip image. Note: This is a one-way road which will PERMANENTLY remove root forever with no way back. But it seems these days that having root on the Chromecast is more hassle and trouble than just rolling stock anyway:

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/6d9333oy/file.html (if multiple download buttons appear, you want the big orange one toward the top right)

strifej

Feb 4, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
LG V40
I found a chromecast I bought before (refurb Groupon from a few years back) and see it's firmware 15098. so, it's still rootable by hubcap. From what I've been reading, not much point to root anymore? I can order a teensy clone (very cheap) and otg and root it.. but just wondering if there are any more compelling reasons to do so?

I only plan to stream local media (from laptop/phone) to tv.. nothing else. Don't even watch netflix (don't have account).

Should I just let it update to latest official and forget about root too?

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I found a chromecast I bought before (refurb Groupon from a few years back) and see it's firmware 15098. so, it's still rootable by hubcap. From what I've been reading, not much point to root anymore? I can order a teensy clone (very cheap) and otg and root it.. but just wondering if there are any more compelling reasons to do so?

I only plan to stream local media (from laptop/phone) to tv.. nothing else. Don't even watch netflix (don't have account).

I replied in the other thread so I'll just shortly review...

I would just hold onto it and wait a bit...Don't power it up or connect it to the Network at all.

Sure there is no real advantage to root as we speak but that can change and since you have a rarity of unit that actually is still rootable you might want to just wait until the autoroot situation clears.

Reactions: strifej

Entirely up to you, but the way I view it is that if you root it then you own it. If you let it update to a locked bootloader then it's Google's.

Maybe you'll decide you want to hook up some internet-of-things devices around your house and have their status displayed on the idle screen. You could do that with root.

Maybe someone will make it so you can cast links directly from some of the plugins for Kodi. Those apps won't be whitelisted by Google, but you could run them.

Maybe you want to easily route your DNS or traffic through a third-party.

Maybe Google stops updating it someday, and you decide to re-purpose it as a video or audio streaming device in your vehicle.

Also if you want to save a few dollars in rooting it, any atmega32u4 board should work. They can be picked up for around $3 (https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-atmega32u4.html). You just have to use a different .hex file. The instructions are in this page:

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58073431&postcount=908

(If you haven't worked with this boards, and have a low tolerance for trying things, then maybe go with the official build)

Reactions: strifej

strifej

Feb 4, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
LG V40
Entirely up to you, but the way I view it is that if you root it then you own it. If you let it update to a locked bootloader then it's Google's.

Maybe you'll decide you want to hook up some internet-of-things devices around your house and have their status displayed on the idle screen. You could do that with root.

Maybe someone will make it so you can cast links directly from some of the plugins for Kodi. Those apps won't be whitelisted by Google, but you could run them.

Maybe you want to easily route your DNS or traffic through a third-party.

Maybe Google stops updating it someday, and you decide to re-purpose it as a video or audio streaming device in your vehicle.

Also if you want to save a few dollars in rooting it, any atmega32u4 board should work. They can be picked up for around $3 (https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-atmega32u4.html). You just have to use a different .hex file. The instructions are in this page:

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58073431&postcount=908

(If you haven't worked with this boards, and have a low tolerance for trying things, then maybe go with the official build)

I live in Asia, so was going to get one of those cheap atmega32u4 boards for 2-3 USD. Since a few of you have said to give it a go and see what happens, I'll do that. Being in asia, shipping is fast.. a few days.

Rooksx

Apr 3, 2011
Smart DNS doesn't seem to work with the Chromecast any more, which was the number one reason to root. The most recent update has also broken whatever was done to workaround the problem where the chromecast would not complete booting up. So unfortunately it appears that rooting has become a mostly academic exercise.

Mitsch79

Jul 16, 2013

Here is the "back to stock" zip image. Note: This is a one-way road which will PERMANENTLY remove root forever with no way back. But it seems these days that having root on the Chromecast is more hassle and trouble than just rolling stock anyway:

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/6d9333oy/file.html (if multiple download buttons appear, you want the big orange one toward the top right)

All you need to do to get back is follow the same procedure you used to gain root (meaning you will need your powered OTG cable again). Use this short and clear video guide to walk you through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6c34jqFHxY

Download the files he links in the description of that guide and follow the full procedure with one exception: When you get to 3:20 in the video, rather than use the zip file he provides, use mine linked above instead (it's perfectly safe and was sent to me a while back by ddggttff3 himself). Make sure you rename my linked zip exactly to eureka_image.zip just like in the video. Repeat the FULL procedure for any additional chromecasts you want to unroot.

Once you get through the setup and fully booted up you will be on a really old version of the chromecast software. Depending on your internet speed, just leave it on and after a while Google will update it behind the scenes automatically. Then, once you reboot it again, you should be on the working latest chromecast software version without the root shenanigans.

Good luck!

PS - If your chromecast is taking forever to pull an update and isn't able to cast because of it, you can typically force an update by doing the following:

1) Download and install Git for Windows: https://git-scm.com/download/win
2) Open Git Bash
3) Paste the following text in a notepad or document: curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"params": "ota foreground"}' http://192.168.1.100:8008/setup/reboot -v
4) Replace the numbers after http:// with the EXACT IP address of your chromecast (which can be found if you open the Google Home app on your phone and selecting your chromecast and going into settings, then look at the very bottom). Leave the :8008 at the end after the IP address. Highlight all this text and copy it
5) Go back to Git Bash you opened earlier and right click then hit paste, then hit enter
6) You should see a bunch of quick text in Git Bash then your chromecast screen should begin the update animation
7) Let it sit for a few minutes and see if it starts and if it does then let it finish. If it gets stuck at 0% then either reboot the chromecast by pulling the plug, or by rebooting via the Google Home app and that should kick off the update once it starts to boot back up

Thx mate. Since autoroot doesn't seem to work with latest 1.24.88007 update for chromecast (it broke mine), reverting to stock is the only option to have a working streaming gadget :)

Cheers

silverwings2008

May 30, 2009
Birmingham

All you need to do to get back is follow the same procedure you used to gain root (meaning you will need your powered OTG cable again). Use this short and clear video guide to walk you through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6c34jqFHxY

Download the files he links in the description of that guide and follow the full procedure with one exception: When you get to 3:20 in the video, rather than use the zip file he provides, use mine linked above instead (it's perfectly safe and was sent to me a while back by ddggttff3 himself). Make sure you rename my linked zip exactly to eureka_image.zip just like in the video. Repeat the FULL procedure for any additional chromecasts you want to unroot.

Once you get through the setup and fully booted up you will be on a really old version of the chromecast software. Depending on your internet speed, just leave it on and after a while Google will update it behind the scenes automatically. Then, once you reboot it again, you should be on the working latest chromecast software version without the root shenanigans.

Good luck!

PS - If your chromecast is taking forever to pull an update and isn't able to cast because of it, you can typically force an update by doing the following:

2) Open Git Bash
3) Paste the following text in a notepad or document: curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"params": "ota foreground"}' http://192.168.1.100:8008/setup/reboot -v
4) Replace the numbers after http:// with the EXACT IP address of your chromecast (which can be found if you open the Google Home app on your phone and selecting your chromecast and going into settings, then look at the very bottom). Leave the :8008 at the end after the IP address. Highlight all this text and copy it
5) Go back to Git Bash you opened earlier and right click then hit paste, then hit enter
6) You should see a bunch of quick text in Git Bash then your chromecast screen should begin the update animation
7) Let it sit for a few minutes and see if it starts and if it does then let it finish. If it gets stuck at 0% then either reboot the chromecast by pulling the plug, or by rebooting via the Google Home app and that should kick off the update once it starts to boot back up

Hi guys, also trying to get back to stock. Tried Flashcast v1.1.1 and 1.3. I can get to a blank FLASHCAST drive, but then i cant get the stock eureka_image.zip to flash, simply get a red light on the chromecast.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Hi guys, also trying to get back to stock. Tried Flashcast v1.1.1 and 1.3 . . . .

Any suggestions?

Can't be certain, but if you have a red LED, you should be able to SSH in to your CC with root / letmein. Obviously you can unpack the zip and scp the files to /tmp as well. Then just run the commands in the install.sh file by hand.

I don't see why that would not suffice. In fact, I suspect that anyone wanting to go back to stock can unplug / plug in the CC during its boot a few times, which will confuse it and you will be at the same spot (red LED, which is in recovery thinking there is an update), then do the same as above.

Just beware, I have not done the above, as I have no intention of unrooting, but the recovery has all the relevant tools for the installer.sh commands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: silverwings2008

silverwings2008

May 30, 2009
Birmingham
Can't be certain, but if you have a red LED, you should be able to SSH in to your CC with root / letmein. Obviously you can unpack the zip and scp the files to /tmp as well. Then just run the commands in the install.sh file by hand.

I don't see why that would not suffice. In fact, I suspect that anyone wanting to go back to stock can unplug / plug in the CC during its boot a few times, which will confuse it and you will be at the same spot (red LED, which is in recovery thinking there is an update), then do the same as above.

Just beware, I have not done the above, as I have no intention of unrooting, but the recovery has all the relevant tools for the installer.sh commands.

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get the files over to a tmp folder using WinSCP, and there are 4 files, boot.img, imager.sh, recovery.img and system.img

Please can you help me with the how to install them and what commands to use....

Thanks

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Thanks for the reply. I managed to get the files over to a tmp folder using WinSCP, and there are 4 files, boot.img, imager.sh, recovery.img and system.img

Please can you help me with the how to install them and what commands to use....

Thanks

Look in imager.sh (I mistakenly referenced that above). Run "cat imager.sh".

Again, I have not done it so whatever you do, you do at your own risk, intelligently and knowingly.

If you want to wait, next weekend I can experiment on the above. I would not reboot myself, rather would re-flash the rooted code before rebooting, but at least I could verify what takes place from a general 'run' perspective. I do a lot of kernel/ROM work so am probably a bit more comfortable with flash testing. I simply don't see a reason it won't work, but that is just me.

silverwings2008

May 30, 2009
Birmingham
Look in imager.sh (I mistakenly referenced that above). Run "cat imager.sh".

Again, I have not done it so whatever you do, you do at your own risk, intelligently and knowingly.

If you want to wait, next weekend I can experiment on the above. I would not reboot myself, rather would re-flash the rooted code before rebooting, but at least I could verify what takes place from a general 'run' perspective. I do a lot of kernel/ROM work so am probably a bit more comfortable with flash testing. I simply don't see a reason it won't work, but that is just me.

I'm prepared to chance fixing this chromecast, if it doesnt work ill go and get a new one as this one has been well used. Using the 'cat imager.sh' command the following comes up on screen:

# First we flash the kernel
log "Flashing Kernel..."
flash_mtd_partition 'kernel' ./boot.img

# Next we flash recovery
log "Flashing Recovery..."
flash_mtd_partition 'recovery' ./recovery.img

# Then we flash the system
log "Flashing System..."
flash_mtd_partition 'rootfs' ./system.img

# Erase data to do a full reset
log "Wiping Data..."
clear_data

log "Done!"

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
I'm prepared to chance fixing this chromecast, if it doesnt work ill go and get a new one . . . .

If all the .img files are in /tmp and as well the imager.sh is there, you can just do this:

Code:
cd /tmp
chmod 777 imager.sh
./imager.sh
sync

Verify it is really all in /tmp before that.

Also, if you just want to run it all by hand, it is the flash_mtd_partition and clear_data commands you would run. Then, obviously, reboot and cross fingers.

Like I said, do as you please, I am happy to verify next weekend if you are in no rush.

Reactions: silverwings2008

silverwings2008

May 30, 2009
Birmingham
If all the .img files are in /tmp and as well the imager.sh is there, you can just do this:

Code:
cd /tmp
chmod 777 imager.sh
./imager.sh
sync

Also, if you just want to run it all by hand, it is the flash_mtd_partition and clear_data commands you would run. Then, obviously, reboot and cross fingers.

Like I said, do as you please, I am happy to verify next weekend if you are in no rush.

Just getting the following when I execute that command:

./imager.sh: line 4: log: command not found
./imager.sh: line 5: flash_mtd_partition: command not found
./imager.sh: line 8: log: command not found
./imager.sh: line 9: flash_mtd_partition: command not found
./imager.sh: line 12: log: command not found
./imager.sh: line 13: flash_mtd_partition: command not found
./imager.sh: line 16: log: command not found
./imager.sh: line 17: clear_data: command not found
./imager.sh: line 19: log: command not found

Thank you for your time assisting me with this

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Code:
cd /tmp
chmod 777 imager.sh
./imager.sh
sync

All sorted now and back to stock. Thanks for the help. The imager.sh file was not working correctly, but by using the commands directly with putty I'm not back to stock.

Thanks again

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Just getting the following when I execute that command:

./imager.sh: line 4: log: command not found

./imager.sh: line 5: flash_mtd_partition: command not found

./imager.sh: line 8: log: command not found

./imager.sh: line 9: flash_mtd_partition: command not found

./imager.sh: line 12: log: command not found

./imager.sh: line 13: flash_mtd_partition: command not found

./imager.sh: line 16: log: command not found

./imager.sh: line 17: clear_data: command not found

./imager.sh: line 19: log: command not found

Thank you for your time assisting me with this

Ok, that tells me you are not actually booted to a recovery. Can you tell me what is on the display, I want to see it showing the flashcast updating screen. If it is, I will yank up a recovery boot and tell you where those commands are (but they should be on the path in recovery).

silverwings2008

May 30, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks @tdhite now back to stock and all working fine. Just used the raw commands rather than using the imager.sh file which seems to be incorrect. Back to stock and happy. Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: tdhite

theman10

Mar 4, 2007
Ok, that tells me you are not actually booted to a recovery. Can you tell me what is on the display, I want to see it showing the flashcast updating screen. If it is, I will yank up a recovery boot and tell you where those commands are (but they should be on the path in recovery).

Could you DM me the ROM to flash back to stock? I tried the link above in the thread but it seems to not work anymore. The big orange button asks to install a Chrome extension but it doesn't install for me and a bunch of dialog windows keep popping up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck!

2) Open Git Bash
    Chromecast root is becoming increasingly useless, if you want I can PM you link to stock-revert_eureka_image.zip
    I'd also like a copy of the stock image.
    Also, how does one use stock-revert_eureka_image.zip to go back to pure stock?
    Thanks!
    Can you PM me the link too?
    I'd like the link too, please. I'd rather stay with Eureka, but if it continues to fall behind the stick features, I will need to every someday.
    I would like to have the revert image as well. Can you send me a PM?
    @mathorv - I am also interested in a link please.
    Sent PMs to all of you.
    Sent to all of you as requested.
    I also need the stock zip
    PM me plz

Thanks!

please send me link to stock-revert_eureka_image.zip

Many thanks!

I'd appreciate the file and any details on how to revert. Thanks!

Here is the revert image. http://pdl.team-eureka.com/other/stock-revert/eureka_image.zip
    File name: eureka_image.zip
    Checksums:
    CRC-32: b0ae227a
    MD5: 1414ba17811b797e820236678fa1d533
    SHA-1: 59248539ebd4bd9f463d6eb61b5aa56fb0140e65
    SHA-256: f30940ed559c3a5e78d2f4048d826964a8208e4d51d17bf921 e7dad70eb766

Click Thanks if you found this information to be useful.