FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

How to directly cast from android device in tethering WiFi AP mode

525 posts
Thanks Meter: 152

Post Reply Email Thread
I directly sent both local media from my device and internet media to chromecast connected to WiFi AP in tethered mode from same device: a thing that was deemed impossible.

Procedure:
1) started WiFi tethering on main device (Galaxy Note 2, N7100, 4.1.2 firmware, N.E.A.K kernel);
2) long pressed chromecast button to reset and start configuration;
3) used a second android device, with chromecast application, to configure the chromecast dongle with main device WiFi cloud;
4) turned off second device;
5) started Bubbleupnp on main device;
6) in devices tab, selected chromecast as renderer and "local media server" as library;
7) then in library tab, chose a video, and believe it or not it started playing on chromecast yabbadabbadoo!

I also successfully casted music files, Google plus photos, dropbox files, and whatnot from Bubbleupnp.

Then I tried another app, mirror4cast, which mirrors the android device screen to chromecast, and you know, this worked perfectly too

Finally, I got arrogant and decided to try YouTube. The official app does not recognize the chromecast dongle in this setup, so instead of using it, I opened my browser (mobile Firefox) and loaded a web page with several embedded YouTube videos. To send them to the chromecast dongle, I used another third party application, Web Video Caster. Full success, in fact I am enjoying a Rolling Stones video while writing this

Now people please experiment and confirm my findings, to exclude I am hallucinating or I got an happily defective unit…

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift debernardis Ad-Free

23rd June 2014, 03:20 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
mirror2cast? can't find an app in that name, can I get the link?
23rd June 2014, 03:54 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Acireale, Sicily

More
Sorry, it's mirror4cast

Mirror4cast
Download: https://market.android.com/details?i...app.free.trial

24th June 2014, 09:30 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by debernardis

I directly sent both local media from my device and internet media to chromecast connected to WiFi AP in tethered mode from same device: a thing that was deemed impossible.

Procedure:
1) started WiFi tethering on main device (Galaxy Note 2, N7100, 4.1.2 firmware, N.E.A.K kernel);
3) used a second android device, with chromecast application, to configure the chromecast dongle with main device WiFi cloud;
6) in devices tab, selected chromecast as renderer and "local media server" as library;
7) then in library tab, chose a video, and believe it or not it started playing on chromecast yabbadabbadoo!

I also successfully casted music files, Google plus photos, dropbox files, and whatnot from Bubbleupnp.

Then I tried another app, mirror4cast, which mirrors the android device screen to chromecast, and you know, this worked perfectly too

Finally, I got arrogant and decided to try YouTube. The official app does not recognize the chromecast dongle in this setup, so instead of using it, I opened my browser (mobile Firefox) and loaded a web page with several embedded YouTube videos. To send them to the chromecast dongle, I used another third party application, Web Video Caster. Full success, in fact I am enjoying a Rolling Stones video while writing this

Now people please experiment and confirm my findings, to exclude I am hallucinating or I got an happily defective unit…

I will try this method...
25th June 2014, 04:02 PM |#5  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,213

Donate to Me
More
Is this Different than just using AllCast. Doesn't AllCast stream directly?
25th June 2014, 04:27 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,027

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by player911

Is this Different than just using AllCast. Doesn't AllCast stream directly?

AllCast streams media directly from the device to Chromecast.
mirror4cast streams what's on the device's screen (including UI) to Chromecast.

"Normal" aka "optimized" streaming with Chromecast is not dependent on the controlling device (after the cast is started) - Chromecast itself goes and retrieves the video stream directly.
25th June 2014, 06:12 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,213

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

AllCast streams media directly from the device to Chromecast.
mirror4cast streams what's on the device's screen (including UI) to Chromecast.

"Normal" aka "optimized" streaming with Chromecast is not dependent on the controlling device (after the cast is started) - Chromecast itself goes and retrieves the video stream directly.

Yea I know how it normally works. So this just does screen mirroring vs local streaming as with AllCast.

Mirror4Cast = Mirroring phone screen content to TV
AllCast = Media Streaming content to TV

Nice
26th June 2014, 03:55 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:

Procedure:

Is this dependent on the ROM and/or kernel you are using? Did the kernel developer do something special?
26th June 2014, 03:57 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,027

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirmeier

Is this dependent on the ROM and/or kernel you are using? Did the kernel developer do something special?

Might just be some built-in intelligent routing or bridging.
26th June 2014, 04:39 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Acireale, Sicily

More
I am using the N.E.A.K. kernel for the Note 2. Stock firmware 4.1.2.
I don't know if this kernel has any special features which allow what I described.

Still hope that someone tries on his own to confirm my findings.

26th June 2014, 11:19 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Arrow
Quote:

Procedure:

Question in order to use bubbleupnp do you need to install any server application or software on the desktop which need to on when you want to use bubbleupnp or no as I am having problem casting trough that thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)