1) started WiFi tethering on main device (Galaxy Note 2, N7100, 4.1.2 firmware, N.E.A.K kernel);
2) long pressed chromecast button to reset and start configuration;
3) used a second android device, with chromecast application, to configure the chromecast dongle with main device WiFi cloud;
4) turned off second device;
5) started Bubbleupnp on main device;
6) in devices tab, selected chromecast as renderer and "local media server" as library;
7) then in library tab, chose a video, and believe it or not it started playing on chromecast yabbadabbadoo!
I also successfully casted music files, Google plus photos, dropbox files, and whatnot from Bubbleupnp.
Then I tried another app, mirror4cast, which mirrors the android device screen to chromecast, and you know, this worked perfectly too
Finally, I got arrogant and decided to try YouTube. The official app does not recognize the chromecast dongle in this setup, so instead of using it, I opened my browser (mobile Firefox) and loaded a web page with several embedded YouTube videos. To send them to the chromecast dongle, I used another third party application, Web Video Caster. Full success, in fact I am enjoying a Rolling Stones video while writing this
Now people please experiment and confirm my findings, to exclude I am hallucinating or I got an happily defective unit…
Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app