FORUMS

I've made a big mistake buying a Chromecast 3

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By gebxda, Junior Member on 20th January 2020, 03:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everybody! I've been a silent XDA reader for years, solving a lot of problems and using this wonderful forums, but I felt almost the obligation to talk about this device here, so I registered.

I always investigate a device's specs before buying, but it seems I'm getting rusty... One of the things I always look for is the possibility to customize the devices to my needs.
Sadly, I didn't research enough for the Chromecast.

I was hoping XDA could save me, once again, with a custom rom/firmware or something, but this time it seems that the Chromecast 3 is a fully closed device.

I had problems with Chromecast since day one: with my WiFi, bluetooth, casting (NONE of my other devices have problems with my network)... Google Home App is now mandatory and even if you manage to use an anonymous device with an anonymous Google Account to set up the Chromecast, once you uninstall Google Home App or not use the device with it, your Chromecast become almost unusable.

I know that there are a lot of alternative devices for the same purposes (I will buy one of them, of course), but I really hope that in the future there will ALWAYS be alternatives.
I felt really tied and powerless to solve the problems with this device because of it's lack of options and configurations.

A lot of people surely loves this if they can just plug it and it works, but if you are the type that want to tweak things, my advice is to STAY AWAY from Chromecast and similar devices.

For now it will stay in a drawer to the day that alternative firmware is available or even possible.

Sorry for the rant, but the lack of customizing of this device was really overwhelming for me. It the first time I feel so powerless to do anything to solve this type of problems with a techy gadget.

Sorry for my english too. It's not my main language and I'm out of practice.
The Following User Says Thank You to gebxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gebxda Ad-Free
26th February 2020, 11:01 AM |#2  
Flag Baghdad
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Tried 1st generation it was good

now i'm using mi box s it's fantastic
3rd April 2020, 01:05 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebxda

Hi everybody! I've been a silent XDA reader for years, solving a lot of problems and using this wonderful forums, but I felt almost the obligation to talk about this device here, so I registered.

I always investigate a device's specs before buying, but it seems I'm getting rusty... One of the things I always look for is the possibility to customize the devices to my needs.

Sadly, I didn't research enough for the Chromecast.

I was hoping XDA could save me, once again, with a custom rom/firmware or something, but this time it seems that the Chromecast 3 is a fully closed device.

I had problems with Chromecast since day one: with my WiFi, bluetooth, casting (NONE of my other devices have problems with my network)... Google Home App is now mandatory and even if you manage to use an anonymous device with an anonymous Google Account to set up the Chromecast, once you uninstall Google Home App or not use the device with it, your Chromecast become almost unusable.

I know that there are a lot of alternative devices for the same purposes (I will buy one of them, of course), but I really hope that in the future there will ALWAYS be alternatives.

I felt really tied and powerless to solve the problems with this device because of it's lack of options and configurations.

A lot of people surely loves this if they can just plug it and it works, but if you are the type that want to tweak things, my advice is to STAY AWAY from Chromecast and similar devices.

For now it will stay in a drawer to the day that alternative firmware is available or even possible.

Sorry for the rant, but the lack of customizing of this device was really overwhelming for me. It the first time I feel so powerless to do anything to solve this type of problems with a techy gadget.

Sorry for my english too. It's not my main language and I'm out of practice.

Chromecast is one of those Google projects that could of been a great thing but apparently they put their focus on ads and more money making programing and such. I tried Firestick and damn is that thing good, comes with its own os within the dongle and comes with a voice blueetoth and IR for tv remote which make you not really on your phone and it has a lot of cool hidden tricks like using bluetooth earphones. Firestick runs basically on android 5.1.1 Just don't run kodi on it it's not powerful enough there's plenty of other movie .apks that can be installed using downloader app. Hell even a raspberry pi with a wireless Logitech k400 plus is a better setup. Now I use Chromecast for hotels, and work brake room

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk
14th April 2020, 03:33 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor8ST

What is the point of this topic? The point is you don't recommend people to buy Chromecast 3? I was about to buy one.

Hi! Do whatever you want about it of course. I just wanted to advice people that like to customize your devices, as may be the majority of users of this great forum, that it is a very closed device and you can't tweak much or solve issues if it doesn't work out-of-the-box.

So, I strongly recommend buying an Android TV box instead. Of course it's less trustworthy for private stuff. But if you don't plan to use homebanking or something like that and just watch stuff, them are far better, as other users commented in this topic.

I have an Android TV Box now, ultra customized, rooted, with Netflix, media players, browsers, and lot's of stuff as in any root friendly Android device and it is great.

The bottom line is:
- Do you like Apple ecosystem and feeling more safe with your private stuff, and don't want to customize anything? Buy Chromecast.
- You like customizing your devices and spend time with configurations, tweaking and personalizing? Buy a rooted Android TV box instead.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)