By linc-thra, Junior Member on 16th December 2016, 11:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd June 2017, 06:47 PM |#21  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird11

Thanks for the reply, it works now. Connecting directly to the plex server in the local network doesn't seem to work. What worked is connecting over plex.tv as shown here... I thought that it doesn't matter.

Anyway, what I was hoping for is that after connecting it would show up as a device / client in the Plex app so I could control it from there (and from amazon echo), but it doesn't show up Do you think that would be possible? If I connect manually from a browser it shows up as "Plex Web (Chrome)".

Well, once you are telling it to play on the Chromecast, the Chromecast is the 'client,' not the python script. Personally, my setup is that IFTTT catches commands from my Home Assistant, and then over their "Maker" app, I send a command to a URL on my personal web server, which then sends a command to my Chromecast. I'd think what'd you need to do is get Alexa to send commands to the Chromecast in whatever way, not some other player? Maybe Alexa->IFTTT->Maker->Web Server->Python Script->Chromecast?

All that said, I think I remember seeing that Plex HAS an Alexa app at this point?

3rd June 2017, 07:32 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc-thra

Well, once you are telling it to play on the Chromecast, the Chromecast is the 'client,' not the python script. Personally, my setup is that IFTTT catches commands from my Home Assistant, and then over their "Maker" app, I send a command to a URL on my personal web server, which then sends a command to my Chromecast. I'd think what'd you need to do is get Alexa to send commands to the Chromecast in whatever way, not some other player? Maybe Alexa->IFTTT->Maker->Web Server->Python Script->Chromecast?

All that said, I think I remember seeing that Plex HAS an Alexa app at this point?

Yes, I'm trying to use the Alexa "skill". It works well if I start Plex in Chrome and cast it to Chromecast, because the Chrome player than shows up as "Plex device" both in the Plex app and in the Alexa skill. So, what currently works is opening the browser or the Android app and casting Plex to the Chromecast. Then I can control it with Alexa.

I was hoping that the python script would also show up as a Plex device, which would be detected by the Plex app and the Alexa Plex skill. In this case I could write a script, which would cast Plex on the Chromecast automatically on startup and then I could control it entirely using Alexa without the need of a browser or an app. But I guess it's a plexapi issue and I don't have any deeper understanding of the internals of Plex. Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)